NEUROFEEDBACK

This is a fascinating thing. I began neurofeedback training a few years ago. I found a practitioner and it takes a while but the feelings you get are crazy. I would say I feel funny or I feel pain and she made it stop immediately by a few strokes of keys. You watch a video and make it work when your brain waves are where they are supposed tobe. The treatment takes a while 30 or so sessions before you get good at it. It is really fantastic option for drug resistant depression. I also know that I had narcolepsy before and do not have it now. My brain has actually changed. I have recently tried out and purchased a light and sound machine to use at home the cost is about 157 bucks and it looks like a walkman you have earphones and sunglasses with lights in them. it plays a tone and flashes the lights to put your brain into alpha which relaxes you or beta which energizes you. I like alpha. I was literally screaming in pain clenched fists and the machine went on with in 30 minutes my fists came loose and 15 min more I felt great ans was smiling and joking and I went home and cleaned out my closet! It was so unreal. I had to try it about five more times and it works great for me. I bought one and have not gotten it but cannot wait. I will keep you posted if it continues to help. There is also a game for the computer that was developed by Deepok Chopra and others called wild divine. It is a form of neurofeedback. It moniters your oxygen, heart rate and temperature I think . It has a sensor that you put three fingers in and then it stakes you through this cool palace like place wher e you juggle balls with your energy and build fire with breathing. I have also heard the kid machine Wii has interesting Yoga. Sothere are things to do to relax your body and mind and distract you. The brain is sending the pain signals out trust me on that. Pain is in the brain. so send the brain a new message,,,calm and see what happens. All of these are things you can do without drugs or side effects. Neuro also helps with the brain fog. When I need to train my husband says so. I get real stupid and forgetful without it.
Please ask me I am happy to answer and I love to help people. There are lots to try and I have opionions on all of it!Hahah

16 replies. Join the discussion

Wow! That's really interesting. Thanks for posting that.

I've been going to classes on meditation to help with the stress & the pain and I think it has. I know my jitters have gone away since I started doing this daily.
The light & sound machine sounds intriguing, I might have to look into that.

Jo

I just bought one and my neurofeedback provider said that it is set too high for me and she is going to download a specific program for me that she has been using on me. I got the machine and she has it now to do that and then I will keep posting here how it is going if I do that daily you know it could turn out to be amazing for all of us. I cant tell you how great the feeling is I get from this treatment. I will let you know if it continues or in fact improves with frequent use.
Thanks jo for the reply!
Jeni

Wow! I recently was diagnosed with narcolepsy and have been poking around on the internet for whatever works...and neurofeedback sounds exciting! Who treated you? Exactly what machine and technique did they use? How many treatments did you need? What home neurofeedback device did you get, and how is it working for you so far?

Thx in advance,

Laura

What great news. I'm so happy you found something that works for you. I'm going to look into it.

Take care and I hope the Holidays are comfortable, pain free and happy.

I was not officially diagnosed with narcolepsy but I fell asleep at concerts, movies, anytime I sat down i felt this click in my brain and I could not stay awake. I started neurofeedback and worked with a practitioner for about thirty sessions and stopped for a while and the narcolepsy had stopped completely. When I started the feedback again she rechecked my brainwaves and my brain had physically changed. I cannot tell you how amazing it is. It is expensive and if you dont live in a metropolis you will not find it. I was treated in Charlottesville Virginia at Brainwaves. For info about it you can google it. It works like this. You put little electrodes on your head in specific places that the provider determines based on your initial exam. It doesnt have current. The wires connect to a device that connects to a computer. The computer shows a film that only moves forward when your brain waves are in the right place. Also there are bars on the side that you try to push down with your mind and sounds that give you the feedback when you are in the correct brainpath.
I am VERY excited about the proteus. I just started using it over thanksgiving when I had company that usually I cant do much when they come. I used a sleep mode number 43 and it takes about ten minutes and I had seven great days. I didn't even have trouble eating I GAINED FIVE OR SIX POUNDS! That was so fun. I was eating more often and no pain. I am even decreasing my pain meds and relaxants. This machine is on ebay look at proteus sound and light machine and it has free shipping and it cost 157 so you know it is the right one. there are others. There are fifty programs from learning to relaxing to sleeping to extraordinary experience. I can only do a few of them. the relaxing and the sleeping modes help mosts. My husband uses the other programs and he does not have any illnesses that he needs it for but he loves it. He feels great after a session. If you dont get ben efit after a few times try a differnet program. One will be right for you and there are others you can download and you can even create your own. It isnt my store so I dont profit from it. I just really love it because I am functioning much better and it is not a drug and once you buy it it is yours. It takes three double a batteries. YEAH!!
Do check into neurofeedback providers in your area about narcolepsy. They won't say that they can fix it. Mostly they are dealing with kids with ADD or adults with ADHD also. I am tellilng you it helps lots of things when you straighten out your brain. It is not just me but also my aunt who was very resistant to any depression drugs and she gets relief from the neurofeedback. Major stuff here. I hope it helps.
Jeni

I must add the providers do not even know what they can do to help us. You just have to trust that it will work. The training is not new it just is not as popular as drugs cause the drug companies are a huge business. They cant tell you if you have fibromyalgia or gastroparisis that it will help but if they are willng to try theey can help you. It is in your brainwaves that they will see differences.
Just so you dont get discouraged if you find a provider and they think you are nuts asking about other medical benefits.
Jeni

Wow, thanks for the thorough response, Jeni! I'm buying the Procyon from ebay now--can't wait! I have to find out exactly what treatment you got in Charlottesville, though. was it low-frequency treatment via the cygnet NeuroAmp?

Oh - I live in New York City, a metropolis of sorts...so I'm emailing neurofeedback places to get info. :)

My daughter lives in nyc also. Great city. I go there often as I can. She is in astoria now but manhatten for three years she was in acting school. I'm sure you can find it there. I am going to ask my provider for you if she knows anyone. Let me know if you have a problem with it.
On ebay it is proteus advanced light sound stimulation system. They offer free shipping and you can get to the website from the ebay store. If you cant find it let me know I will get more info for you. I really think this thing is so ccool. I did it today. I have been going to the bathroom like a normal person for two weeks now no help, no miralax, no screaming and sweating and all that goes with it normally. I am extremely happy about this machine.
The neurofeedback is more specific treatment obviously but it really works on depression, narcolepsy, memory problems, even pain. It did not help the gut stuff all that much but the proteus is really helping.
Good luck. This is so promising.
jeni

Thanks a million, Jeni! I've looked into the Proteus, and I think I may get the updated, full-spectrum color version (Procyon) with the neurofeedback package (PreSage) coming soon! Either that or the NovaPro 100. I'm so excited!! It would be great if you could find out exactly what neurofeedback modality you received in the clinic so I could try it in NYC :)

BTW - you have tried probiotics and inulin for the gut problem, no?

Laura

what do you mean by neurofeedback modality? I dont understand the question. Good luck with the procryon didnt know about that. I am loving using mine. I forgot to do it today and I am spasming so I am going todo it before bed. I am sleeping so great too. My gut is doing really great as well. Unbelievable.

Oh - there are different ways to do neurofeedback in a clinic. For example, some practitioners use Zengar neuroCARE, others use Cygnet NeuroAmp....it's just like different brands of light/sound machines. You have Proteus, and the Procyon is the latest model from that company. But I decided on the NovaPro 100...I can't wait until it comes!

So I guess another way of asking the question is: What brand of machine did they use for neurofeedback?

OH OK. The brainmaster program. How is the procyon working for you? Are you doing it daily? I have much less pain and the spasms are not so intense. I feel better overall the days I use it. I most days do. I am quite curious if it has helped you. I only reccommend the calming and sleeping modes for us since we are overstimulated. I will say at first I feel worse and then mby the time I get finished with the program i feel better. I hope it is working well for you as ti is for me. Take care
Jeni

Hi screamer! I am currently on my 4th or 5th session of Zengar Neurocare (so it's too early to tell), and I lent my NovaPro 100 to my stressed-out friend, so I'll get it back this weekend. I'll keep you posted on whether either is helping--I think the Zengar may be kicking in a little bit, ironically in helping me to zonk out at night when I should. (I've always been a night owl)...

For me it took about 20 sessions to notice and to zone in on what needed to be fixed. Tell me what a session is like for you. For me, they put electrodes in specific spots and hooked them to the brainmaster that hooked to a computer and I would concentrate on moving the movie forward or sometimes pushing down "thermometers" I got weird sensations from anything that affected beta. I need alpha. Also did you get relief from your machine. I say yes because you already lent it out. I LOVE mine. I love it. Thanks for actually trying this and one more question. Is it expensive there? I was paying 75 a session if I paid for ten at atime. Or 85 for one. And I went 2-3 times a week for a long time. Insurance did not cover it either. But honestly the best treatments are not. I appreciate your input on this!

Totally expensive! the Zengar is $150/session (!) and if I can't make the weekly session b/c I'm kept late at work, I have to pay anyway. Sin--ce I saw your recent note, I've looked into practitioners in NYC that do Brainmaster, and I have a session with him next saturday--and it may be covered under insurance!! I'll keep you posted on that one, and also if the Brainmaster helps. Regarding the NovaPro 100, I'll get it back from my stressed-out friend this week :)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders