Nausea when lying down?

Hi everyone. I am due for my period in a few days, and for the women out there, GP and periods do not get along (or maybe I should say they gang up on us?) I end up usually feeling SOMETHING in the way of GP symptoms at that time, whether it be acid, nausea, some discomfort. Last month I was incredibly tired. I can usually deal okay with discomfort/pain or acid, but nausea well...lets just say thats my can't! THese last few weeks have been kinda off, but (at least not yet *fingers crossed*) not as bad as where I had been with all this in the beginning. But the PMS changes have def my nausea more noticable.

But the wierd thing is if I lay down (esp at night) I feel it, even if I was (relatively) okay when I went to bed. I HATE this. THen I have to get up, and walk and *usually* after that I can fall asleep. But then I get nervous, and its about an hour of sleep wasted. And we all know lack of sleep makes nausea worse. It also reminds me of when my nausea was 24/7, I actually felt WORSE lying down, and would have to get up SEVERAL times during the night. THose days/nights were nightmarish, and I so fear going back there.

SO does anyone else get nausea lying down? Anyone know what that is, or anything that can help? Thanks in advance!

LOve,

Lauren

14 replies. Join the discussion

Mine gets worse laying down occasionally, but usually only when I get migraines. Mine is pretty constant tho, so I'm probably not one you want to go by

Diana

I used to throw up before my period. It effects the gut. Just take it easy, drink gingerale. Try not to worry

I sleep with enough pillows to elevate my head (when I don't need the water pillow for my neck). It usually helps more than any med or meal plan.

I agree with you 100 percent about the dynamic duo of menstrual issues and gastroparesis...... my suggestion:

Marinol is the best for nausea as a legal alternative to marijuana. The active ingredient is THC which treats that nausea and any doctor can prescribe this. I highly recommend it.

I always get nauseous and diarrhea the first day or two of my cycle. I always have to fall asleep using a few pillows and prop myself up. I also notice that when I get a stomach virus, laying down definitely triggers me to vomit, so I always sleep in a recliner when I'm extremely nauseated.
Maybe try that when you're feeling that way. I am just like you-I've had a phobia all my life of nausea/vomiting, and here I go and get a disease that does just that. I just pray for perserverence that God will get me through the bad days.
Liz

I was feeling nauseous all the time, but now it's lessened. It definitely is worse when I lie down. I have a 5 month old baby so havent got my period back yet and apparently the Domperidone can keep it away. I hope so as I keep hearing that periods and GP don't mix.

Lying down makes it much worse.

Try this ; - Buy a foam wedge to prop you up at night and put your pillows over that; plus another small one under your knees to stop yourself from sliding down.

Kind regards Skinny

my teenage daughter misses a day of school every month bc she is fine one minute and at the beginning of her period she has horrible abdomenal pain, not just bad cramps-she vomits non-stop. Nothing the dr did helped. I finally found a woman OB/GYN who said she is having abdomenal migraines! Its true, even with the photosensitivity and loud noise, it makes her sicker, She prescribed Imetrex nasal spray at the first sign of her period and to take a Zofran for nausea, even if she isnt, 9 out of 10 times this works! The dr knew bc she has this too! the birth control pill isnt an answer bc the hormones would make her worse. I wonder if she will ever out grow this, but reading that lying down makes it worse im going to get her into a semi-lying down position next time and see if this works, she gets so pale, clammy and sick its scarey, but again, its the sympathetic nervous system causing it so it affects her whole body with her period and gi problems

This has happened to me many times. I can't lay flat when I have nausea, and this causes a great deal of anxiety. Sometimes I have to sleep sitting up in a recliner, of if I am in bed, use 3-4 pillows so I am not laying flat. Zofran works great for the nausea and so does ativan. Ativan is for anxiety but we commonly use it in the hospital for nausea in cancer patients.

i have this issue a lot. when i am sick and in hospital for weeks at a time i have to force myself to get up and walk through my nausea because if i lay on my side my stomach takes horrible horrible revenge. There's something about the angle of your stomach when you lie down that must trigger it.
I spent weeks on my side in bed with a barf bag before figuring out that getting up eases the nausea, even if just a little.

I would go to bed feeling ok and wake up in the middle of the night throwing up. My stomach would be so distended I looked pregnant. I found bed risers at Bed Bath and Beyond. I got the 8" risers and put them at the head of my bed. I look like I am sleeping on a launch ramp, but it has helped so much. It took some getting used to and my hubby whined about sliding around, but since we raised the bed I have only gotten up twice in the middle of the night. It was well worth it. (Tip: don't use silk sheets with the bed raised. It is like sleeping on a Slip and Slide...lol)
Both my GI and my nutritionist told me that laying down will make symptoms worse and I have found that they were right. Sitting up or reclining allows gravity to help the digestion along. Since GP'ers don't have the natural muscle movement that others do the more we are upright the better.

Good luck to you.

I have so many e-mail I need to get done to but if I need I well stay up longer just to ask you if you sleep flat on your back or is your head elavated. I can not be on my back for long. not just because of feeling sick but i get a lot more pain if I lay flat. I take 300mg tigan. if you need the longer name let me know and I well get it for you
I missed one of your reply. I just view it and saw the word risers I know that has some thing to do with elevated your head. I have to use pillows for me. when I have to get up in the middle of night I have to uhook the night time cath-it-er and carry it with me. this is hard to do if I have one of the spells to where I have to pee poop and throw up at the same time. some night I have to re ajust and either sleep evelted some times sit up father and some times take a pillow or 2 away I pray right to help all of us in this group.
GB

Hi Lauren2006. Although I no longer have periods, I experience nausea all the time. After trying several things, I tried generic Zofran, it dissolves on the tongue and to me it was a lifesaver. I need to take it every morning. Of course we are all different but sometimes it helps to know what helps others. Hope you find relief. My prayers are with you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders