MRCP vs Abdominal MRI, Difference?

My doc had suggested an MRCP and I go back to him on Wed. I had an MRI of the abdomen 3 years ago. It was a 3 phase one done with and wothout contrast and then again an hour or two after the contrast. Is the MRCP the same thing? I'm confused???

3 replies. Join the discussion

What is Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP)?

Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) is a special type of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam that produces detailed images of the hepatobiliary and pancreatic systems, including the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, pancreas and pancreatic duct.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions.
MR imaging uses a powerful magnetic field, radio frequency pulses and a computer to produce detailed pictures of organs, soft tissues, bone and virtually all other internal body structures. The images can then be examined on a computer monitor, transmitted electronically, printed or copied to a CD. MRI does not use ionizing radiation (x-rays).
Detailed MR images allow physicians to better evaluate various parts of the body and determine the presence of certain diseases that may not be assessed adequately with other imaging methods such as x-ray, ultrasound or computed tomography (also called CT or CAT scanning).

I can only think that the MRCP is specifically looking at the liver, gallbladder, pancreas, etc where the regular abdominal MRI is not as specific. You also mentioned that it's been 3 years since your last abdominal MRI which is a long time and things may have changed in that time. Hope this helps.
Jan

The reason for the MRI was a "liver lesion" so I would assume that is the area they were looking at anyway? I'm just perplexed.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our actual doctors answered all of our questions? Instead of having to come here and see if anyone else knows the answers? Every time I see a doctor I leave with more questions than I had when I came in.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders