MIRALAX AND KIDNEY DISEASE???

IVE BEEN READING ALOT OF DISCUSSION ON THIS SITE ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF MIRALAX. I ALSO BELONG TO THE NEPHCURE SITE AS MY CHILD IS A KIDNEY PATIENT. THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME SUSPICION ABOUT MIRALAX AND THE TYPE OF KIDNEY DISEASE OUR CHILDREN SUFFER WITH...NEPHROTIC SYNDROME, BUT NOT AS MUCH AS HERE. SO I WANTED TO SEE IF SOME OF YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME MORE INSITE ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THE DRUG. MY CHILD WAS ON MIRALX FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS WHEN HIS KIDNEYS FAILED AND HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HIS CONDITION. HE WAS A "VERY" HEALTHY BOY, JUST 4 AT THE TIME, HE'S NOW 8. IT JUST HAPPENED OVER NIGHT!!! NEVER ANY SIGNS OF HEALTH PROBLEMS AT ALL BEFORE, EXCEPT HE WAS CONSTIPATED ALOT. IVE ALWAY'S SUSPECTED MIRALAX AS BEING THE CULPRIT FOR THE ONSET OF HIS KIDNEY DISEASE. THE DR'S HAVE TOLD ME THAT THERES NO KNOWN CAUSE FOR HIS CONDITION...IT JUST HAPPENS IVE BEEN TOLD. IM NOT WILLING TO EXCEPT THIS. ANY INFO YOU COULD SHARE WITH ME WOULD BE SO GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU YOU ALL.

22 replies. Join the discussion

I have done some research and talked to a few doctors and pharmacist and even my GI doctor says you
can take it everyday as long as you drink alot of water, which water not pop or juice will help with the constipation.
Your doctor is probably right it's just a condition. Any history of kidney disease in the family.
Could also be genetic.Ask a local pharmacist they know meds. better than doctors they really don't take alot of
pharmacy classes from experience I know some doctors only really know about 0 drugs really good.
Pharmacist however, that's all they study , if my dcotor gives me something I'm sure of I always ask the
pharmacist.
Wish you and your child good health.
Bev

I can't remember where I read this information but PEG (polyethylene glycol) is on the FDA watch list. It's toxic stuff. And think they mentioned something about the kidneys and damage to the nervous system. Hope this helps! Dr's don't know everything and aren't perfect as you know! I would not even put the stuff in my body!

HOOKED1- I SURE WISH YOU COULD RECALL WHERE YOU READ THE INFO ABOUT MIRILAX AND KIDNEY FAILURE. IVE LOOKED UNDER FDA WATCH LIST FOR MIRILAX AND CANT FIND ANYTHING. IF BY CHANCE YOU WERE TO RUN ACROSS IT AGAIN I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL FOR THE INFO.
THANK YOU

I am a very heavy user of miralax especially the last six weeks. I have been taking two to four heaping capsules of miralax a day for about 5 years. Lately I have doubled that amount as I have had an obstruction I am trying to resolve (it seems to finally be working). I tried Natural Calm as an alternative but it did not work as well for me. With everything filtering through your kidneys it makes sense that mairalax could do some damage. I just hope and pray that is not the case.

I am so sorry....but I am very ill and this has affected my memory quite a bit.....i know that i mentioned this to my parents the other day and they said it had to do with PEG (Polyethylene Glycol) being on the FDA watch list. PEG is in Miralax I do believe. If for some reason I do remember perhaps if you send me your email address I can email you.
Also I wanted to mention that if the intestines have any kind of inflammation or damage, drugs can leak out and go directly to the liver and kidneys. Just an FYI! I read this on one of my prescriptions that I did not take, Paromomycin...this was mentioned in the side effects/complications sheet that comes with the drug.
Drugs like Miralax should not be getting into the kidney's....right? They go out through the intestines. Read what it says on the side effects sheet included with the medicine. It should tell you how it is excreted and the Pharmacist should be able to tell you also!
I also found out yesterday, if a drug is recalled for whatever reason, the Pharmacy does not have a way to contact the patient's that took the drug that has been pulled off of the shelves....I was outraged that there's no way for them to notify the patient. I spoke with CVS pharmacist yesterday about a prescription I had been given about 3 years ago, a had some nasty side effects!
I don't trust drugs anymore...you're taking chances these days when given a prescription!

I think Miralax is pure PEG, nothing else. The idea seems to be that it stays in your GI tract, and therefore is benign. Lets HOPE this proves to be true.

Gail I went back over my email History and found what I was remembering about Miralax.

If you go to the AGMD GI motility Disorders Group-there's a posting titled "FDA watchlist" Polyethylene glycol 3350, Miralax
Side effect: Neuropsychiatric events The FDA is watching this drug.

I am not sure where I saw the kidney problem associated with it....but you can go to the medscape article that this person posted
medscapearticle.com/viewarticle/762205?src=rss

Maybe there will be some documentation about the kidneys on this website! Hopefully!

You should read all of the postings people have left on Miralax's effects on them! I keep thinking about when I took the "half lightly" product for my colonoscopy prep. Not sure if it did any damage to my brain at that time but I would not take the stuff because I have a condition called Leaky Gut. The stupid GI doctor told me 3 years ago I had IBS. If a person has this condition, crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis or any intestinal bacterial overgrowth, parasitic infections, fungal infections, drank alcohol heavily, more than likely they have a problem called "Leaky Gut" will is a permeable intestinal lining and things that shouldn't leak out into the blood stream do and can be life threatening. I am trying to heal my intestinal wall and has been very difficult to do because my doctor won't give me any drugs plus they think my liver is damaged (cirrhosis) from all of the toxins the liver is trying to handle. Western medicine has a lot to learn....my PCP doesn't believe in Leaky Gut but my Integrative Medicine (Holisitic and western medicine combined doctor) does and has provided me with an article written by a Western Medicine doctor that has associated gluten allergies (wheat) with leaky gut and autoimmune issues (Aug. 2009 Scientific American Magazine article on Celiac Disease). You may want to consult with an Integrative medicine doctor because they look at the body as a whole instead of individual parts or specialties like western medicine does. I have terrible anaphylactic reactions to foods which I never had before, and this is due to food particles leaking into my blood stream and my immune system is reacting to them so I get allergic reactions.! Not fun at all! I wish you and your son all of the best ....please let me know how you both are doing as I sincerely care for my fellow man. If you need any help....my integrative medicine doctor who's brilliant can help to figure out his problem plus he know's many smart people here in Northern California! Take Care and keep in touch!

Keep in touch!

Gail-I would be curious as to why your child was so constipated. Do you know? Did he have bacterial imbalance in his intestines? Probiotics help with this problem. Just curious!

The next thing doctor's will tell you is that you need counseling! I'm serious....these doctor's don't like it when you test them...I would get another opinion from a board certified MD that specializes in Holistic medicine.

Do you know the PEG is antifreeze? I can't believe people would actually put antifreeze into their bodies....why are we so trusting of the medical professionals?

I SEE I HAVE A LOT TO READ AND LEARN ABOUT THIS DRUG...SO FAR JUST THE LITTLE BIT IVE READ SEEMS VERY SCARY!!!
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE RESPONSE'S. I PLAN ON DOING THE RESEARCH ASAP. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. THIS PLACE FEELS LIKE A SAFE AND CARING PLACE TO BE WHEN YOU HAVE SO MANY THAT SEEM TO CARE. LOVE TO ALL OF YOU.

PMS377- I AGREE COMPLETLY ABOUT MEDICINES. I TOO HAVE HAD SEVERAL SIDE EFFECTS FROM MEDS, I NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED GIVING SOMETHING FOR CONSTIPATION WOULD BE SUCH A CONCERN. I LOOK AT EVERYTHING DIFFERENTLY NOW...LETS JUST SAY "MY EYE'S ARE OPENED WIDER NOW". I HAVE NEVER BEEN ONE TO THINK OF DR'S AS GODLY BEINGS, BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LITTLE TRUST SOMETIMES. ONLT THIS TIME I FEEL I FAILED. I JUST CANT SEEM TO GET THE EVENT OUT OF MY MIND...HEALTHY CHILD...3 WEEKS ON MIRALAX...THEN KIDNEY FAILURE. I KNOW IN MY HEART THERE'S A CONNECTION! I WILL GET TO READING ALL THIS INFO ASAP. AGAIN, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I NOW FEEL I AM CLOSER TO THE TRUTH. LOVE TO ALL.

pms3077-Do you think that the half lightly product colonoscopy prep material may have caused my intestines to become damaged and leaky? I took the product back in October 2008 and I think the leaky gut was going on back in 2006. I have yeast and fungal infections. Also a protozoan infection. It seems like everything I put into my body leaks into my blood stream so I can't even get near any drugs! You would think the doctor's at that time would have under stood why the effects of the meds were so enhanced in my system... I remember being given Vicoden for my gall bladder removal in 12/08, Vicoden again in 6/09 for when the doctor's mistakenly cut my sphincter of oddi. I was given dilaudid and vicodin and had some real enhanced effects from them. I was so scared to take any meds that when my stupid PCP gave me a Valium, I cut the pill in half and had severe reaction to it. Then the Hepatologist told me to take Citalopram for anxiety and my liver ended hurting 3 weeks later, so I was told to stop taking it. I am so mad and crying right now as to how these idiots have hurt me. They even told me to see a counselor because I kept complaining about the continuing pains in my liver. I have leaky gut!!!!! I think the doctor's all know that something's going on but continue to run away and put their heads in the sand. And only my integrative medicine doctor found this out for me.....no western medicine doctor's would have ever discovered this!!!! In my mind, they are all idiots!!! This world and system we live in is so messed up....greed is the driving force behind the doctor's and pharmaceutical companies and the FDA. The really don't care about helping us....their only concern is to line their own pockets. We as a nation need to put our faith in God and trust him to care for us and not the corruption that goes on in political arena. I've lost faith a long time ago because I see a continuing cycle of corruption behind everything! Nothing will ever change...I guarantee you all.... God talks about this in the Bible....Jeremiah 10: 23 "I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step. God is basically telling us that we don't have the knowledge to make decisions ourselves....its for God to decide what's true. We aren't intended to make the decisions...only God is to!
I am so blessed to know God and Jesus....because if I didn't know of his plan for you and I .....there would be no hope at all for his people. I would seriously be reading God's word....because in his word is the guidance we all need to live by. I know there are many people out there that end there lives because they have no hope...but knowing the God has planned a beautiful paradise to live on after we die is all that I need to get me through each and every day! I hope this has helped some of you to understand that this life we're living is only temporary...just put all of your faith in God and keep asking for his help and he will be there at the time he feels is the right time....and not on our time frame. Take Care everyone. Keep helping and loving one another....God's wants us all to love one another. If everyone did the world would be a better place to live or tolerate until the end comes. We won't know when that time is, so that's why we should all be prepared.

I just looked up Halflytely and the contraindications are constipation and kidney disease, obstruction, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, etc. I am so annoyed right now at the medical profession. PEG is in halflyetly, the prep for the colonoscopy. Maybe you can say to your doctor, there's' PEG in this product and look at the contraindications!@!!!!!! Stupid doctor! Why is it not contraindicated for those taking Miralax???? This doesn't make sense!!! Maybe an attorney can figure this out?
Just look this up for yourselves!

I wish all of the drug companies would go out of business.....don't you all see behind their motives.....have you been watching TV and notice all of the drug companies and their long advertisements mentioning all of the side effects. Who are they kidding? Do they think we are that stupid and desperate to take a drug with so many different side effects. Even over the counter drugs are bad for us!

Last year I spent over $14,000 dollars on myself to try and heal the damage my doctor's have put me through. I will never go back to my PCP unless I am on my death bed!!! I found out through a very expensive test that my liver is missing certain DNA in it that help to detoxify drugs....Genova diagnostics performs this test. Western medicine is so far behind holistic medicine it's not funny!
This is a genetic test....if you call up a western medicine genetisist and ask if they have a test on this they will tell you that they don't!! But it's funny how all of the doctor's sheepishly understand the Cytochrome P450 system in the liver. These are different pathways in the liver that take a drug for example and break it down into a less toxic form in the body. Some people die immediately when given a drug that their liver's can't process. Do you think your doctor would ever tell you to get this test before taking any drugs, whether they were prescription or over the counter? Heck no!!! They don't like it when you're educated....that's why my western doctor's have given me a hard time. I have spent hours upon hours of doing research for my self and now understand why I am potentially dying from!!! I don't trust the western medicine doctor's and never will.....If I need a liver transplant maybe I might consider going to them....but I have worked in the medical field for 25 years and have observed many sad stories....it's hard to be a patient myself knowing what I know! I guess maybe I have had bad luck!
Take care everyone....

PMS377-Is it just our bad luck with our health or is it our bad luck with doctor's? I think these doctor's forgot what they learned in school and feel they have carte blanche when it comes to prescribing meds to people. I think there should be a test available for people to get that says before you take this drug you need to make sure you don't have this problem. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

I remember back to September 2008 when I was given the prep for a Cat Scan, Magnesium Citrate I believe and they made me drink this liquid stuff that would show up on the scans. I had some reaction to it because I was sick for a week afterwards, to my stomach while on a two week vacation. The following day I remember itching all over my body....I now realize that I had leaky gut and that's why I have had terrible reactions now to foods, drugs, etc. Western medicine doctor's don't believe this...but there's now an article out about it....in the Scientific American August 2009 Magazine...It talks about the relationship between Celiac disease, the immune system and the gut! Now my PCP can't say that there's no such thing and I don't believe that!!! I faxed her a copy of the article....I just want to see her face now! I wish I had never gone to her and now that I'm so sick I don't have the energy to find another one....but I have been going to the Integrative Medicine MD who knows and has the Medical knowledge of both types of Medicine. I do hope that the world gets rid of the whole corrupt type of Western Medicine and switches over to Holistic/Integrative Medicine. The world would be a whole lot healthier....but I don't see that happening because of all the greediness and corruption that goes on behind the scenes in the political arena. What do you think would happen if everyone stopped pledging allegeance to the flag and voting....just think about it! Didn't want to go to war and die for their country.....etc. etc. If we all stood up to our government and said we don't want these things? I don't think anything will ever change and they know it....and they all are in it to get rich and famous....look at what backfired with the whole real estate debockle and the banks....People are getting wise and putting their feet down....hopefully the banking industry has learned a huge lesson. We almost lost our home because of this and my inability to work.
To this day, my doctor's can't figure out what's wrong with me so they have written me off. One of my doctor's I truly believe, orchestrated his misdiagnosis of me and my current health. So that it would look like something else when actually it was liver disease. He said he was going to do a liver biopsy on me back in 11/2008 in his clinic visit notes when the liver enzymes went up again and he never did and then said it was something else, which clearly on a radiology report stated I didn't have the condition....I did not get better after my sphincter of oddi was cut....and have gone down hill. I truly believe I have liver cirrhosis and had they diagnosed this back then I would have known and wouldn't have had any other harmful tests done that hurt the liver further. I am so mad at how I have been treated by the medical community that after I pass, I have listed in my memorial wish list, to sue the doctor's who cared for me, only because there was so much neglience going on. I truly believe this master mind of a doctor, made what it look like I had something else, because he knew it was my liver the whole time and didn't want to deal with me! They don't like educated people. This person really scares me....just knowing he's out there treating people this way makes me ill! My husband will have to wait until after I die in order to pursue him.....We have both suffered much for the past almost 4 years.

I don't know if I'm going to make it because the toxins from the fungal infection, and just eating are too much for my liver to handle. I told my husband that I don't want to be taken to the Emergency room because once you sign their papers they can do pretty much anything they want once you give them permission.

I wish I could write my story so that others in the world could learn much from my past health experiences....but I am very weak and just enjoying the time I have left on this earth. I am happy to know that God will eliminate all of this suffering and pain soon....he promises us this....I am looking forward to living on earth forever in paradise. His message to us is pretty clear in the Bible....so please everyone....have comfort in the fact that your suffering will be removed when God removes all of the evil and badness from the earth. Be prepared because only God knows when this will happen. You need to be doing his will and have faith in him and his son in order to be considered a part of his righteous kingdom. I am hoping that this will happen soon....all of the signs that have been foretold are present. God is gathering as many of his followers before bringing an end to Satan's world! 2 Peter 3: 1-18 and Revelation 21: 4. There's so much important information in the Bible that clearly tells us how to live our lives and to survive this system we live in. Eye opening information that will change your lives forever!

Sorry to have gone on....but I felt it was necessary to share these things with people who don't know God's promise and that there's much hope for his people!

Here's a recent article on Medscap titled: FDA Puts 16 Drugs on Watch List

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/762205

Hi folks I read all the articles, I too was taking polyethylene gycol for two yrs for IBSwith constipation, I just got so stopped up and ended up in hospital l where I could not empty my colon and got really bad food posioning from chicken there were 5 people that ate the same dish ( I did not make this dish ) but, because of the constipation I could not get it out of my system like the others,
I went to new Gi doctor last week he put me on amitiza 8mcg and i dose of mirlax, which now I have discovered that the amitiza has been giving me bad headaches and I've never had headaches in my life I don't want to take it, it really didn't do anyhing and I eat enough fiber and drink tons of water. I put a post up (Taking Amitiza if anyone could read and give me feedback I would appreciate it) I took one amitiza early this am and headache started right away , he also has me taken i dose of miralx.
Anyone tonight I took MY regular dose of miralx ( THe RX TYPE) and konsyl no headache, I have called several pharmacist and taled to them about polyethylene gycol and they all say the chemical make up is safe it does not filter through your kidneys it goes straight to digestive sytem and draws water to lubericate and softens the stools so they can pass I always had regular bowel movements on it. In the am I'm going to call the FDA since I'm retired from medical field I'm going to drill them.

Do you realize your average dr only knows about 30 or meds. in the special practice they are in they do not take that many hours
of classes in pharmacy.

take very little pharmacology classes, if you really want to know about a drug call your local pharmacist that's all they study they have helped me out greatly or get a pharmacology book. I worked in trauma so I did not deal with GI things.
But I will let everyone know what the FDA says because I'm concerned for all of us what do we do?

I have a panic disorder and I tell you I have not had a attack in 6yrs or so but eight now I'm having a lot of anxiety over all this.

If you could read my post about amitiza those who might be on it or know somehing about it please help me understand. The few days I took it not much happened does it take time and what about the headaches at first I thought it was all the water I've been drinking but I've done that for years then I thought it was the straining I did because I was not going, thats why I went back on PEG 2 times aday with konsyl I don't know what my new GI will say but, like I said I will give you an update on what I find out about it when I call the FDA.One pharmacist told they studied (FDA) really well and for them to ok it for a chid it went through many test because they just won't ok anything like my great uncle had cancer and went to Germany for a MED the FDA will not approve here it hellped him, but they will not approve it because the pharmcy companys make too much money in the US with cancer patients , It makes me sick and places like India use all natural things for constipation which is proven to work I use one hat does help the bowels empty easier it's the

my computer wiped out on me sorry , I was talking about the squat position which does help me.

Anyway I will go before I loose this sorry about the big space and all the erors my lap top goes wild.

Please if you want read my post on taking amitiza and if you have any info to share God Bless you and as soon
as I talk to the Fda I will post it. A lot get it mixed up with antifreeze which is the same spelling without the poly in front
but what I have sydied and the make up of chemistry is different as well as talking to friends in the pharmacy and other random
pharmacist, they se people on it for years and no side effects. I was told not to stress over it , it would only make me wosre.

I will try to get an understanding from the FDA but these pharmacist that's all they study is chemistry and medicine
and I have one that will tell you real fast if something will harm you because she has told me before I could not take this med with
another med and I even talked to her.

Thanks all, please find my post I really need support right now don't know if I'm doing the right thing.
Did start on a new probiotic that I heard about on here called truflora it helps one membr really well.

God Bless,
Bev

Hello,
I was reading your posting and I am very interested in talking to you. I have suspected Miralax for years with my son. Just yesterday I had sent an e mail to my sons Dr. about miralax and she said, no she does not think that Miralax is the problem,she did have one case where a child develpoed antibioties to it.
I am suspicious, I want to speak to you about what has happened to my son and all the probles that have occured with annaphlactic reactions to food! Same as you.
He has had every test done over 11 years , was taken out of school last year an diagnosed now with mastocytosis and small bowel neuropathy. I believe h had severe dairy allergy from the beginning and then the Miralax, (which was forced upon him continually with massive amounts through 9 years hs contributed to his symptoms. Just my hunch but I did go to a naturalpath ad I almost fainted when I brought in two shoe boxes of medications my son was on and when she saw the Miralax she almost fainted. Told me to NEVERand I mean NEVER use this product, it is a carsinegenic and it is poision.
Thanks!

sherry

Information on Miralax and kidney problems:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x5457m2g65218377/

Hi GailRD-

I have been taking Miralax (daily in the past year) for the past three years and I have had no side effects whatsoever. It has been the only thing that has kept my bowels regular (regular GP bowel movements mind you). I started taking it as it is the only "non-addictive" laxative out there that I could find. I am so sorry that your son has had kidney problems and my guess is that it is not related to Miralax, as your doctors have told you. I think as long as your intestines are healthy that it must be safer than regular laxatives which are so hard on your system. Most of us with GP have to have something to help keep things moving and from my research, I have found that Miralax is safer than regular laxatives. I hope they find something to help your son-
Mphotographer

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders