meds besides neurontin or lyrica for neuropathy

I wanted to find out if anyone is taking other medication besides neurontin or lyrica for neuropathy. I have tried both. The lyrica 75 mgs 2 times a day stopped working after 2 weeks. If my doctor just increases the dose does anyone think that might solve the problemj? Neurontin makes me feel like I have been beat up and it is not taking away the creepy crawly feeling but a few hours a day (400 mg 3x ). Any help is appreciated.

8 replies. Join the discussion

I'm on Neurontin 300mg 4x a day, and it is killing me. I cannot take the Lyrica because my husband and I would like to try to get pregnant and that's a big no-no on that drug. I'm also curious if anyone out there has found a non-narcotic form of pain relief for pain like ours. The Neurontin is working for me, it's just the side effects are (literally) driving me insane with panic attacks and it's also causing severe short term memory loss. Let us know!!!

I also have short term memory loss from Neurontin. I saw something on a website call Neurveen but I am skeptical about it.

I know my mom has neuropolthy (we are both type 1 diabetics) and she takes Garbapenton, I know a couple of folks on it and say it works great. Good Luck!

Trileptyl is another seizure medication that can help wtih neuropathy. Also som of the antidepressents, Cymbalta for example, can also help. Elevail is an other medication that in small doses may also help. various perparations of pepper extract cream applied to teh area may also help. Be careful to wash your hands and not get any in your eyes! You should also have had a medical evaluation for correctable couses of neuropahty. This includes blood work for vitamine deficiencies, aand protein abnormnalities, as well as DM.

neurontin = gabapentin

Thanks everyone. I ended up going to the emergeny room yesterday only to be told that there is not much they can do. They talked to my Pain Mgmt Doc and he changed my Lyrica from 75 mgs to 100 mgs 3 times a day and Visteral for anxiety. Last night was my worst night ever. I deal with depression and pain everyday. Nueropathy tops them both. I told my doctors office today that I would rather be dead than to have to live with this. I am trying to get in to a nuerologist but things are so backwards here. First they have to look at my records from my Pain Mgmt doc then they will decide if they approve me as a patient. REALLY, REALLY!!!!!! How stupid is that. I am going crazy dealing with neuropathy and they can't just make me an appoinment and see me. I have never been suicidal and I don't really want to die but I know I can't live with this the way it is. This neuropathy did not start until right after I got off the Fentynal pain patch. I have now requested to be put back on it. I hope that this will stop or greatly reduce the worm crawling feeling under my skin.

I take Requip .5 mg 2x and 1.5 mg at bedtime daily for restless leg syndrome but I've found it to help with all over neuropathy.

I am currently going through the withdrawal from the Neurontin. Day 4 and it's been hell. If it's not working for anybody, start stepping down now! They fail to tell most patients that this stuff builds up in your system and within the first day of backing down the dosage, withdrawal is immediate. The longer you're on it the longer it takes to get it out of your system. And let me tell you the withdrawal is as bad as narcotic withdrawal. They also fail to warn you that some of those nasty adverse effects can become permanent! I met someone who's speech still isn't completely clear and she stopped taking it over six months. I can't wait for it to be out of my system. Pain is better than losing who you are for some medication that is only 30% effective for users in regards to pain management :(

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders