Linzess

Have any of you tried Linzess, and what did it do or not do for you? I have just started and am not sure if it is helping or not... not sure if I am having side effects as well. Obviously none of it is remarkable to stop trying yet, but wondered if anyone else had results? Thanks.

56 replies. Join the discussion

How right you are ... I go from gastro to surgeon and they are not able to help. One part of my bowel is contracting to move stool out, but the other part doesn't open to let it out. So, they have tried every med, and now they want to try Xifian, ( even tho no bacteria). The Linzess is a killer drug. Just never know when it will work. Have gained so much weight and eat so little, but I drink lots of water. I stopped the Miralax because of more bloating. I plan on staying on the Lizness hoping that I will lose some of my stomach weight. Yesterday was a nightmare ... Have a wedding inApril and went shopping. Until I really saw myself in real clothes (I wear maternity pants and big tops) I didn't realize how pregnant I look. I used to be a size 4.

Cdias -- For me the Linzess makes my abdominal cramping worse but most days I get some diarrhea out. Sure not great -- but then the Amitiza wasn't either. That was more hit or miss but not as bad cramping. Not sure which I'll end up staying with. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs... I'd keep trying it for a while if I were you, not sure how long you've been on it but I'm assuming not long.

It is an antibiotic but it is used for IBS. However usually used for the non constipation type. http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-91340-Xifaxan+Oral.aspx?drugid=91340&drugna me=Xifaxan+Oral

Same here. Three strikes and Linzess is out. Wasted $45.

Last go-around I had such powerful abdominal pain I almost fainted.

What a grrrrrrrrreat pill. Thanks, docs.

Here's hoping Dulcolax doesn't kill me (or stop working).

I did not have a bowl movement either but at this point I am so afraid of obstructions, as I have had so many partial obstructions I only waited two days...and I added exlax..I was prescribed exlax years ago after everything else failed...Now I didn't have to take as much as I normally take. That did the trick. The next day I went back to just the L and oh my gosh I was miserable that evening bloating pain the whole nine yards. I would go but never enough but just enough to be inconvenient. So I took the exlax with it the next day..the problem with it was two things..I am use to eating first thing when I wake up...and it really interrupted a lot of my day going endlessly going to the bathroom. So I decided to take it at night with the exlax and this works much better for me and has helped my stomache pain...now I have no motility at all. So this is why I am left to the exlax and it seriously destroys the colon so not something I would recommend... But from day one I started getting a headache (which is not a widely reported side effect). I have a pretty bad problem with migraines anyway..I had a mild headache everyday up until about three days ago and it started going into migraine form...I got the first one down to mild headache but I have had an incredibly bad migraine since yesterday. I have taken my normal migraine pills for it...nothing....my neck muscles are so spasmed right now they are sore to the touch. I am wondering if this is a side effect that eventually goes away....???

I am back on Amitiza. Helped the first few days a little. Now No bowel movements or diarrhea. Now using every supplement i can find or read about in these posts, and not doing too well. I found at the beginning I did get bad headaches and took Fioricet. Now I am dizzy. I know that these are side effects of Amitiza and Linzess and every other drug on the market. CYA pharmaceutical companies. Going to gastro in two weeks, I know she is going to call the surgeon and ..........
I am very nervous about surgery, have other medical complications and am not mentally ready for it. Haven't tried exlax, maybe just a one time thing to get things moving. There has to be something that can help us, other than surgery. Still have no dress for my grandsons wedding.

Still struggling through the Linzess. One thing I'm trying that has helped on occasion (not on it long) is Elavil, an antidepressant that is very often used for pain. Sometimes it really works with the cramping, other times seems to do nothing.

sweetsadie---Are you on Linzess?

I am prone to migraines and got them everyday I was on Linzess and I had a few on Amitzia..whatever these meds do---it causes or triggers the migraines.. Dr said no---but I have no other reason for having one everyday I took those meds... I only get migraines around my monthly cycle and that's not every month... Feel better soon!

dt02351
Yes I am..or I should say was on Linzess...I could into the Dr and she wants me off of it...but we will have to see in long run cause they are at a loss cause they can't get my medical records...really...how hard is it??? So frustrating!!

I hear ya.... there's nothing for me now---they think my IBS is actually bad because of PFD..so thats the road Im going down.

I am going to ask my GI doc for Linzess at my next visit. If it's sold over the counter (or "off the shelf" as my mother calls it,) I have tried it. I am so tired of the cramping, back pain, digging out BMs and bleeding from it, pills, liquids, suppositories, heating pads, etc. that I am ready to take a jackhammer to my abdomen and live with an ostomy bag. Thank you all for your input. It has been helpful. _Sh33na

It is awful to spend so much of our time and energy trying to find a predictable solution for our constipation problems. It almost rules our lives. I'm exhausted and frustrated by it. I don't want this to control the rest of my life.

I could not have said it better (especially today). Unfortunately, it does control our lives.

Well, my GI doc says he is hesitant to prescribe Linzess. He says he hasn't prescribed it enough to be able to tell if it works any better than a much cheaper and older medication that he uses that is similar and has better results. So much for that. Now I'm adding to my long list of meds: Equate and Lactulose. Blech.

I have gastroparesis and constipation along with a ton other diagnosis. I have tried a lot of the above, amitiza, mom, colace, lactulose, senna, and am now on linzess and it isn't doing anything but making noises except for the first day gave me diarrhea. The only weird thing is I had a couple bm accidents during the night. Don't know if it is related to go or the linzess or a new issue. I'm about to say by by with it since it isn't doing anything. Good luck

Hi, I was reading this, and seems you all know a little about Linzess. I was just given a prescription for this from my Dr. , well actually she just handed me some samples until I can get in with a gastro. I was wondering how fast does this stuff work? or does it work at all? I'm just scared to start taking this and having a lot of diarrhea right away:/ Thanks for any info you can give me!

The bottom line to your question is EVERYBODY'S DIFFERENT! It has worked for some, not for others. Some get diarrhea pretty quickly, some wait for a while, for some it doesn't happen at all. Unfortunately, welcome to the world of "who knows?" I assume you're starting on the 145 mcg. I say take the plunge! Maybe try it first on a day you don't have to get anywhere -- or at least for well, just going by me at least 4 hours. Don't want to scare you! This all isn't just having diarrhea, it's if you have cramping or whatever. And if I haven't, don't let the noises in your stomach scare you! It's worth a shot. You never know how it will work on you until you try it. Good luck with it!

Thanks! Yeah, the 145 for 4 days and then moving up after that! My Dr. gave me this after I came in after complaints of stomach pain and on and off constipation, due to pain meds for fibromyalgia. So after reading I'm so confused because it says that it's going to give me all the major probs I have now like, headaches, stomachaches, so we will see. Thanks! I won't leave the house tomorrow! Hehe

I made a mistake. My GI doctor prescribed Equalactin and Lactulose, not Equate. My bad. So far, so good. Having a smooth BM daily with no cramping or gas. *knock on wood*

SSKBSMITH,

Just a thought. Have you tried Milk of Magnesia? My brother gets constipated from pain meds and finds it really works well for him.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders