Linzess

Have any of you tried Linzess, and what did it do or not do for you? I have just started and am not sure if it is helping or not... not sure if I am having side effects as well. Obviously none of it is remarkable to stop trying yet, but wondered if anyone else had results? Thanks.

56 replies. Join the discussion

Check out the Linaclotide discussion. It's all about our Linzess tries.

would you take linzess in place of milk of magnesia?

Not if the MOM is working! Seems a good amount of people are having problems with the Linzess -- which doesn't mean you shouldn't try it if the MOM isn't working.

I take miralax, colace, dulcolax, and now the linzess.... still having to do enemas too. I had a hard time weeding thru the linaclotide posts, as I don't have the "stamina" to be on the computer very long, and I am confused as to what people were saying. I have just upped my rx to the higher dose. Still not lots of bms. I am also confused as to when to take it.... I have to take nexium in a.m before food, do you kow if it is right to take the linzess with it and how long before eating?? Thanks if you have any further info. I am so desperate.. I weigh just over 100 pounds but look like I am 9 months pregnant a lot. I just want to take a pin and POP my belly... or just blow it up with dynamite!

Linzess is no food 30 minutes before you eat----the pharmicist can tell you if it interacts with Nexium. Some people have watery stool from the Linzess--others are having difficulty having BMs...side effects are headaches(me) stomach pains, nausea, distention, and the going or not going effect. Some people have taken the 290and others 145. Some people did a clean out before they started the Linzess. I had really bad side effects--took it for over a month and off of it now. I think I took it the longest. You should give it at least 2 weeks. I personally think and have seen posts that Miralax will bloat you. I used it everyday --only way I would have a BM but was always bloated--prego look....I was taking up to 6 doses a day just to have BMs everyday. It was watery---but it came out. If I don't take anything---I don't go at all usually....

Are you not having any BM's or do you think you should be having more each day?

I can't tell you about the Nexium, when to take it, but I do know the Linzess must be taken a half hour before any food, liquid, or other meds are taken. I'm with dt02351, ask your pharmacist. Problem with that is the pharmacists don't know much about it because it's new. I'm the first one at my pharmacy taking it! I hate to say it but maybe the Linzess first and the Nexium a half hour later?

I take the Linzess first in AM then after 1/2 hour I take the Dexilant or Nexium.

Thanx guys. I have tried so many combos of these meds and now I'm not sure what is causing each effect. I also have to take enzymes because I have no pancreas, and it causes lots of gas and bloating as well. I think I'm going to digress to a mostly liquid diet for a few days to see if bloating and pain can calm down... I dont have any bms at all if I stop meds...

maybe changing the enzyme you use to another type would be better for bloating and gas---just a suggestion...there are so many out there...feel better soon

i just stopped the linzess. took it for a few weeks & ended up not being able to eat much & lost weight. had some bad bouts of nausea & cramping/pain & discomfort. i'm doing lactulose again (along with miralax) & have eaten for two days.

Im on best tolerated enzyme after switching while back.. there are actually only a few now available in US. As for your experience, normadesmond, do you think you lost weight because you had more bm's? Were you even getting more frequent bm's at all? Did it cause bad cramping? Sorry for all the questions... but thank you so much for the information!

I find that when I don't eat--the weight drops off very quickly..that never happened before. Its very weird. It's not like it's coming off because of having diarrhea, and not like when you have a cold and don't eat----this happened to me when I was first diagnosed with IBS..I coulndt eat or drink anything--it would come right back out..I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks...and everytime I go thru the "bad cycle" I lose weight rapidly...

I stopped my Linzess a few days ago and Im still having the effects so I know how you feel---5 weeks of hell! Did you have headaches or migraines? I couldn't take the lactolose---it gave me cramps/pain. The miralax works the best but I think it bloats---do you find that?

@ Cdias---Isaw on antoher board discussion a woman who has GP and a few other issues but she follows this regimine of supplements and it's working for her. She posted under New Treatment for Bezoars---maybe you could look at it. I'm not sure if you've tried it or similar things but maybe it could be helpful.

i lost weight because i couldn't eat. by dinnertime, i felt like everything i'd put in my mouth that day was sitting in my stomach. the linzess did not increase bm at all. it did make things more diarrhea-like. i do have a relaxation problem which has yet to be addressed (bio-feedback appts next month) but while on linzess i needed to use enemas morning & night. now that i'm off, things are better. for me, that pill is wrong.

Marcigr- I was taking MOM before I tried Linzess and it was working pretty well with one Colace. The Linzess was a problem for me at both doses so I'm back on my MOM now.

How much MOM do you take?

Hi, I took the lower dose Linzess for five days, and didn't have any noticeable change in IBS pain, but no side effects, either. Two days ago switched to higher dose as recommended for IBS. I'll try to report back on any progress/lack of.
Linda

I had no bms on linzess at all. Still only having them with enemas. I now am trying mom, senna, 4 colace, and 3 dulcolax. I am probably ruining myself with all the laxatives but I see no other choice unless I want surgery. I hate this. My husband, of course much bigger than I am, can take 1 dulcolax and have plenty diarrhea. .. me... nothing. Uuugh

Hi, my first time writing. I am soooo miserable. GI doc had me on Amitiza, Miralax, VSL3. Went to colon surgeon and Have had every diagnostic test, failed site markers and the MRI , and analrectal mam. Now he and another gastro put me on Linzess and want me to go to physical therapy and biofeedback. (going to Tuesday ). Since I have been on Linzess have not had one Bm. Had to use suppositories. I we nt from a size 4 to maternity pants. I look like I am in my 7th month. The surgeon will not operate for the rectal prolapse, etc. until I get my bowels in order because he says the sugary will not work and will have to be done again. Has anyone had this experience ? I have read many of your sites and what I am hearing is that Lizness does not really work. I have had no stomach aches or headaches. Has anyone been on Xifaxan? That is the next drug they want me to go on.

I tried to skip my senna tabs and just use the 290 mcg linzess. Not enough oomph, need the stimulant. Will go back to my 2-4 sennakot at night and 1 linzess in the morning. That was working well. Doctor said ok to combine the linzess with stimulant drug, not an osmotic. MOM and miralax are osmotics. You could get dehydrated with too many osmotic type drugs everyday.

hi, Xifaxin is an antibiotic...it won't do anything if bacteria is not the cause. Some GI's try the antibiotics when they don't have any answers for the symptoms, bloating, pains...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders