How to LOSE weight with gastroparesis?

I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis and am trying to figure out a healthy, lasting way to lose weight. I had just enrolled in Weight Watchers Plus when I was diagnosed, but I left the program when I was told of the diet changes I would have to make. WW is really big on eating fruits and vegetables and fiber to help curb hunger, and so much of these things are not good for GP.

I am hoping someone might have some suggestions? Have you successfully lost weight as a GP patient on Weight Watchers? Or anything else that has worked?

16 replies. Join the discussion

Are you working with a dietician/nutritionist?

I met once with a nutritionist after my diagnosis and she basically gave me the low fat, low fiber run down and talked about the importance of protein and calcium. She didn't really address weight loss, we only had about 30 minutes or so. I bought "Living Well with Gastroparesis" and "Eating Well with Gastroparesis" so I know a lot more now than I did before. I just feel at a loss because so many experts tout clean eating (lean meats, fruits, vegetables and whole grains) and exercise as the best way to sustainable weight loss and it can be hard to work that in to a GP friendly diet.

You may want to contact your nutritionist again. Tell her you need to come up with a GP-Friendly diet and exercise plan.

It really is much more difficult for us, since we can't do the fiber. I weigh more now than I ever have. But, I went through a 35 pound weight loss last year and was too thin. Now, my body is in the ole starvation mode...holding onto every calorie I put in. I'm on TPN. But, anything that I do eat orally has to be protein according to my doc. (She's not big on plant proteins either as they are harder to digest.) Exercise is a challenge for me too as I have to be careful not to undo the nutrition with the exercise. So, mostly I stick with walking when I can.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! We are a tricky little bunch!

mare

Same problem here. Doctor said I needed to lose weight. Trying to adjust to a GP diet AND lose weight at the same time was driving me batty. Get used to the GP diet first

Only thing I can say is that my weight gain stopped once I hit a consistent level of calories. I lost at first after diagnosis, but I had DRASTICALLY changed my diet to pureed foods while figuring out what I would be able to tolerate. Once I had to go to all liquids, I stopped losing because my caloric intake was soooo low. once the stimulator started working, I started gaining again. I've stopped gaining, but now need to start walking so I can lose some of it and build up my endurance.

Diana

It doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem, and I wish I had some answers for you. I started at around 220 before GP, got down to around 200, and the weight has come back up to over 220 since I started taking domperidone, and even more so side I started exercising. I didn't think I ate that much more than I did before, and I really limit junk food. I'm eating even less now, and have just started exercising again after a 3 and a half month layoff due to an extremely hectic schedule. This condition seems to do so many things to throw your body off an even keel. I know I need lots more sleep than before, and when I don't get it I get nausea in the morning. I'll let you know if I figure anything out. Best of luck to you finding your new rhythm. Brian

So Brian,

Only about a month and a half to go? Getting ready for retirement? :)

Mare

I share the same weight gain problem since I was diagnosed and am taking domperidone. Tuesday, I have an appointment with a nutritionist who knows about gastroparesis. I am also very tired and need more sleep and like BWHolmgren get nausea when I don't. Hoping the visit on Tuesday can help stop this rollar coaster ride or at least slow it down.

Counting the Sundays; they're the worst for my wife when I leave for the week. I am ready! I did apply for a job with Apple as an at home AppleCare advisor, but haven't heard from them yet. I hope everything is going well for you! Thanks for thinking of me Mare.

Brian

This is an issue for me too. So frustrating... *sigh* I have battled my weight since 8th grade and I'm now a grandmother! I normally only had 10 -20 lbs to lose and even lost it a few times but now am 35 lbs over where I'd like to be.
We joined a gym and I've tried to quit some of the foods like lite ice cream, that I know put weight on the normal person. (This often doesn't work because I rationalize that there are so many things I can't have now... why shouldn't I be able to enjoy some ice cream??) So far I have had no luck but intend to get more serious about it next week. (Family functions, company staying with us, and Holidays have gotten in the way)
My husband has a theory... 'since our stomachs don't work efficiently we aren't burning the calories that normal stomachs do just digesting food'. Also, although it's hard for me to believe since I can a variety of things, someone else explained that our bodies go into starvation mode (even though we may get a fair amount of calories) because our bodies have starved before so it holds onto every bit and stores it instead of using it now, therefore the ongoing exhaustion too.
If any one figures out how or has luck losing some weight with this ugly illness please post and let us know...
~ Carol

I hope you hear from Apple, Brian!

Today was a lay on the couch, puke my guts out day. Ugh!

Mare

So sorry to hear that Mare. Here's hoping to more off the couch walking days in your near future! Take care of yourself! Brian

I work with a nutritionist from Mt. Sinai. At first my problem was to put on enough weight after the tapering surgery to be able to come off TPN. I gained thirty pounds over six months, and came off TPN early December. I know that we can't eat "healthy/" I am on a low-fiber, low-residue, low-fat, and low-sugar diet, which doesn't leave much. When I found that I was beginning to gain a little too much weight (just five pounds over my "ideal" of 155 for my six-foot frame), I cut out the reduced-fat ice cream and the spoonsful of peanut butter that I used to eat, and the mashed potatos that were a staple. Now my weight is stable. I used the Microsoft Excel program to make up a list of foods that I eat often, and am able to tolerate, and keep a daily journal of what I eat and drink. I'm only allowed Gatorade G2, and that gives me nearly 400 calories a day, leaving me to consume another 1200 to maintain my weight. I consult my nutrition data sheet frequently to make sure that I'm making good choices. You can make your own sheet for your favorite foods. Keeping a log of what you eat and drink will help you to make the right choices.

Good luck, Candace

I guess all the puking left me with terrible spasms throughout my system yesterday....up until 1 am. But, it's finally out of my system and today is much better. Thanks! Heading out to see "The Hunger Games". Gotta get out of this house! LOL

Mare

I have always been amazed by stories of individuals gaining weight with GP. My experience has been such the opposite. I started out at 200 pounds when I first started having symptoms and am now down to 120 and have to fight to keep form losing more and maintaining weight. Right now I have given up on medical doctors because all medical remedies have either made me worse or have increased risk of death to too high of a level to maintain the therapy. Had to stop the TPN for that reason. Still have permanent blood clots and will have to be on coumadin for life.

I think the reason I have had more problems with weight loss than most, is that my pancreas is also damaged from gallbladder disease from years ago. Also for this reason, (I suspect), I cannot tolerate any medically prepared canned oral high calorie nutritional supplements, or any prepared oral protein supplements of any kind. They seem to have to much fat or too much of the wrong kind of fat.

Now, I finally broke down and bought one of those expensive blenders that start with a V (tried a less expensive brand but they just didn't break the food down enough) and I make my own nutritional drinks made with 2 cups of frozen vegetables, 1 cup frozen spinach, 2 cups frozen mixed berries, about 1 cup 100% juice, about 1-2 cups Silk soy milk with fruit. I blend all this in 2 batches, then combine and blend again in 1 batch till smooth and no visual evidence of food particles are noted. I put this an an airtight container. When I am ready to consume I mix 1/2 glass mixture with 1/2 glass fruit soy milk. Sometimes I will put it in the blender and add some bannana. The problem is the drink is not very high in calories, protein, or fat so I have to drink at least 3 16 ounce glasses aday which is very difficult for me to do, and I have to get another serving of protein in a day. Sometimes pureed chicken with broth or fish. I also have to consume some extra fat, usually a couple teaspoons olive or flax seed oil since they seem to be less irritating to my pancrease (sometimes I will use the oil to saute the chicken or fish). I cannot eat any beef or pork. If I cannot get down enough of the drinks, I hate to say it, but I supplement with enough cola to bring my daily caloric intake to at least 1200 calories. I also take 2 gummy vitamin and mineral, gummy b vitamins, chewable d vitamins and chew up citracal.

Maybe for those trying to lose weight that can't tolerate solid food my diet might help, or just for those on total liquid diets in general. I do feel somewhat better on my home made nutrition. Probable because I am getting my nutrition from real food rather than from chemical nutrients out of a lab. Also, this way I am gettin the micronutrients. Hope this helps someone else.

I have the same problem, before gastroparesis I weighed 170 pounds now I weight 236. I am trying the South Beach Diet but it has been torture with all the fresh vegetables, my stomach has been killing me. But I am scared because I have very high cholesterol and diabetes so I don't know what else to do and no one in Las Vegas seems to know how to treat it and no one has any dieting advice, all they keep saying is you have to lose weight. I also have back problems and severe feet problems to the point where I cannot walt, heel pain so walking which I would love to do is out of the question. I, 3 years ago, used to be a wrestling coach, even though I am a female, all my kids wrestle, and I used to run 2 miles a day and I used to lift weights, so this is a complete life change for me. Help I don't know what to do. I am spending 95% of my time in bed.

Help in Vegas,

Mommyof9

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders