How often do you take Miralax?? Everyday???

I have been constipated since I have been on Dom. I have tried tablet of stool softeners and stimulant stool softeners; not much luck. I just started Miralax, as suggested by my Doctor. However, I am wondering if you take it every day & for how long??? Is it necessary to stay on it daily since it is gentle ( atleast I have heard it is. I really don't know how it is going to affect me. This is important since I work full-time and that can cause complications (if you know what I mean.)

12 replies. Join the discussion

In addition to domperidone I take digestive enzymes 4x a day and probiotics in the morning. These keeps me constipation free and I don't have to take laxatives. When I get a flare some of my meds for that are very constipating (zofran and dilaudid) so I take a dulcolax along with them and that seems to work. Hope this helps, Bonnie

I have used Miralax only when I feel I need to. For me - that is only a few days a month. I do take a probiotic every morning and eat Activia yogurt every day (sometimes twice a day). Then when the constipation hits, I take Miralax once a day (in the morning - I put it in my coffee), usually for three days, and then things seem to go back to normal. I also work full time and taking the Miralax has not caused a problem.

I take it about every 3 days. Any more frequent and I risk getting the runs.

Yeah, my doctor told me there are two classes of laxatives: the dulcolax/senakot stuff and the miralax which is designed to add liquid to your bowels. He wanted me to lay off the miralax and instead, he started me on the Dom yesterday (won't be here for a week) and then amitiza which is supposed to move the bowels. I don't know if you've read my post but I am very, very nervous about the amitiza because while in the hospital it raised my blood pressure to 200/100 and my pulse to 110. I was feeling AWFUL begging the nurses to help me....so, I guess that is my doc's plan...to get things moving in the right direction while on the Dom (and I am glad you posted this because I was unaware that it could do that....thank you for the info. because now I will be a more informed patient).

I take one dose of Miralax in the morning along with Sorbital. Then MOM and Sorbital in the evening. I was formerly on a dose of Miralax twice a day. It's one of those things that is different for everyone dependent upon how you respond to it. It is not a harmful laxative and is not addictive.

Stay away from stimulant laxatives as your bowels become used to them and it only causes more constipation requiring higher and higher dosages. For those of us with chronic constipation, stimulant laxatives can really push you into a viscious cycle.

Good luck!
Mare

My daughter would take it everyday - Up to 3 times a day ..... depending on her stomach emptying ....
She has been using it for years ... Just know the generic brand caused a allergy attack but she has never had problems
with the name brand.
Good Luck -

Thanks for all the helpful tips! We'll see how the Miralax does for me. Thanks for the tip on the stimulant laxatives because my husband has been taking those (I'll let him know,) because of his medications and when I tried them I was very sick the next day and had cramps all day also.

Twice a day when I remember. Once a day did not do anything. When I increased it to twice a day it was doing pretty good for a couple days then nothing again. So who knows. Don't really want to increase to 3x a day. Try once a day for a few days if it doesn't work try 2x a day.

Thanks Shumbry I will see how it goes. It has been 2 days and no success yet.

I was taking 2 doses a day, mixed into about 24 to 32 ozs of water. Then sipped on it over the course of several hours. I am unable still to do the 8 ozs it says to do at one time, so I split it up over the course of the day. That also makes sure I got enough water in. I may be going back to that since I switched to the mag supplements, and I was sooooo blocked up last week, I could barely stand it.

Diana

I was started on it after not tolerating amitiza (made me feel sick). It was okay, it doesn't taste nasty. It didn't work for me for three days. Then started having thin, pencil-shaped soft stools. Not really satisfying as I didn't feel emptied out.
I can go 8 days without a BM, and have no discomfort or bloating until the last day. it's weird- food goes in, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere (???). My doctor told me she has patients like me who take it three times a day.
I have very SPECIFICALLY been told not to take senna or stimulant laxatives as overuse can actually damage your intestines and make the problem worse. Those are really for "occasional use only" but most of us around here need daily help.
Since I'm not crazy about the miralax, I thought I would try Natural Calm, which is a magnesium drink, and it worked (gently) when the miralax didn't. I switched to simply taking magnesium capsules and I am finding that a very effective treatment. If I stay on my diet and take the magnesium every day, I have normal, pain-free bowel movements on a pretty regular basis, and without urgency. It is over the counter (Natural Calm) but as always ask your doctor first. If you have compromised kidneys it can cause problems.
Also you might look into your diet. I can't do gluten, dairy, corn, beef, or nuts. ALl of those things will block me up for days. If I eat even one piece of bread I am guaranteed no bowel movement for at least five days.
It is very individual, you have to figure out for yourself what your dietary issues are by keeping a journal and looking for patterns, even several days after you have eaten the offending item.

Good luck!

Thanks Wendy.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders