Hormones and Gastroparesis

Hey girls, anyone try hormones for gp? I have read a lot about how this mostly affects women, the average age 35-45 and that a lot of us get gp while they are pregnant.

Just wondering if you tried any hormones, birth control, or hormone replacement therapy? I have seen many post that their gp gets worse at the start of their periods. My stomach gets REALLY slow right at that time of the month.

I am actually in Pre-menopause and got gp right at age 45 when my hormones starting fading. I have read progesterone levels fall and that can cause a lot of issues.

Thanks for any suggestions and recommendations. Maybe it could help some of us live a little better, I hope!

5 replies. Join the discussion

I feel that there is a link with our hormones too. My GI problems did not start until I had ovaries (and uterus) removed in my mid-30's due to endometriosis. I had several Gyn surgeries before that and even needed 1 more a year after the hysterectomy. Slowly, I noticed some food intolerances building, then the last Gyn surgery to remove a foreign body reaction in the pelvis from the hyst sutures threw me over the edge to severe illness. I'm on an estrogen patch so I have no fluctuations in my hormones now, but my GP symptoms ebb and flow somewhat.

Its crazy that female issues cause stomach problems. I agree with you that it must be related to hormones. Do you feel that the estrogen patch is helping? Have you tried anything else? I have not tried Domperidone yet because I cannot find a doctor who will prescribe it. I want to maybe try progesterone replacement cream, not sure yet, I have to see a new gyn soon to find out. Not sure what tests they will require to check my hormone levels? At least a urine test I am guessing.

Interesting theory. Didn't have any issues with GP till after I had been off my estrogen for about a year. And do any of you get a hot flash at the same time you get a spasm or bout from your GP or Esophageal motility? I get a bad hot flash every time I have a spasm.

I did not have GP problems until I had the hysterectomy and was on the estrogen patch. I had NO GI problems before that but had quite a few surgeries over a few years, after which I took a lot of NSAIDs.

In the first year, we fiddled with the estrogen dose a little due to migraines. During that year, I just had some food intolerances... first to dairy, then to tree nuts, then splenda, then inulin/chicory root, and the list started to build. All of those things would make me nauseated and some gave me abd pain/gas. I started to lose weight about a year after the hyst and I was pleasantly surprised at the time. At first my PCP and I thought it was from starting Wellbutrin for some depression I was having.

Then I had a foreign body granuloma in the pelvis removed 9 months from the hyst and took a lot of ibuprofen. 6 weeks later, I had a sinus infection and took antibiotics. Then suddenly, I had acute abdominal and chest pain and RUQ pain that I first thought was an ulcer from the NSAIDs. Then weight began to fall off drastically and I was horribly nauseated and the journey to GP diagnosis began.

I'm not on any progesterone (not needed if no uterus), but back when I was having endometriosis problems and they put me on various pills, the progesterone in them made me soooo nauseated constantly - even the Nuva Ring, which is vaginal. I was terribly nauseated on an injection that shuts down ovaries/estrogen and they gave me "add back" progesterone pills.

Currently, with diet management and tube feeds, I do not have constant nausea. (As I posted above, now I'm on a continuous estrogen patch.) Nausea only occurs after eating/drinking, typically later in the day, but not with all intake. I've gradually learned what and how to eat to avoid a lot of the nausea.

Recently I had a consult with a GI surgeon about some issues I had with my j-tube that was placed by another surgeon. This new doc was very experienced in research and care of patients with tubes for MANY years in his career. I had not provided the full GP story, and had just presented my tube issues. However, he was curious and asked about my above story. Interestingly, he said, "You know you aren't alone, right? " He went on to say that there are many other women in my age bracket with similar stories.... with gyn problems, multiple surgeries and lots of NSAID use.... recurrent anesthesia and invasion in the abdominal cavity. In some people, he feels that it creates the perfect storm that can't really be fixed or fully understood. That is an AMAZING summary and insight coming from a surgeon!

Neither of us really referenced the hormone topic, as he summed it up to be more mechanical / invasive from surgery/meds/anesthesia, but I think there is some link to hormones as women are affected much more often than men. Really, no one really understands why this develops! <getting off soap box. >

That is an amazing summary from a surgeon. It still amazes me how different doctors can be. I have seen so many and learn little things from each one. It sounds like you have been through a lot. Us poor women and our hormones and delicate bodies! I am getting ready to start my period and was up at 5 am with what I call Gascid, a mix of gas and acid. I have to sit or stand up until it goes away. I have found a pattern where right before and after my period my gp acts up horribly, my stomach does not move at all and I get horrible stomach and bowel pains.

Thanks for sharing and I will post when I get news from my gyn. I have already been to one and she did no testing at all, just ordered some progesterone cream, which I have not gotten yet. So I am seeing a new gyn that is supposed to good with hormones. I hope she actually tests me for some hormone levels and can hopefully balance me out. Even if it does not "cure" my gp, I hope to get some relief!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders