Help I'm having an acid reflux attack!

p1gp1g

* By p1gp1g
* Yesterday at 11:34 pm

Does anyone know an easy trick to get rid of acid reflux quickly?

I don't have the foggiest notion what I ate today or ingested that would have caused the acid reflux to act up. I take Nexium every day and now I've had to take an extra strength antacid on top of that. Yikes! My chest is burning and sore and I'm feeling ill. If I sleep sitting up tonight that will help, but gosh I hate having to do that.

Anyone else ever have this problem? All suggestions welcome. You're the best group.

B. Good :)

8 replies. Join the discussion

Mylanta helps me a little, coats the throat and belly. Hope it improves. Sarah

Sarah :)

I wish that helped. I'm on 150mg of antacid twice a day again plus Nexium. Not liking it at all. Thanks for the suggestion though. Keep on keeping well!

I take Aciphex 2 x day and usually take a few tums at night. I have found that extra strength maalox helps for those nights that are bad. Sticking to a liquid/puree diet for a day or 2 after a day or night like that seems to help it heal.

I totally agree with the liquid diet thing. That's what I did today. Feel much better for the time being. Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Try to keep a diary of the foods and drinks ( i.e. orange juice) you consume. Some foods will aggravate your system much more than others. And what one person can tolerate another can't handle. Much better to find the problem and avoid the cause then deal with it afterwards.

NancyL :)

I do keep a food diary, and have cut out tons of foods because of it. Unless it's got wheat in it now, I'm not sure what sets the acid reflux off. It's kind of a bizarre thing. Thanks for you suggestion though.

Keep on keeping well!

When this happens to me, I take a HUGE spoonful of liquid Gaviscon (extra strength) (over the counter). It really works practically immediately - in a few seconds. I know it's in the same category as tums, etc, that do nothing whatsoever for me, but there's something about the Gaviscon. My nephew's gastroenterologist says that Gaviscon is the only antacid that 'floats' on top of the stomach, creating a barrier. It really seems like that's what it is doing. I also have success with the chewables, but the liquid is slightly better.

gpgirl5 :)

This is also good information. I haven't got any of that here, but I might go and get some. Maybe that will help. it really is annoying to have drop everything for an acid reflux attack. Thanks for your suggestion. Keep well.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders