heart problems with domperidone

Last week I read something on this site about heart problems using domperidone. They were seeing a cardiologist to have there QT checked. I'm not sure what that is but I am curious if anyone out there using domperidone knows of this or has had any problems with it. I am so uneasy taking this drug that I give myself anxiety attacks thinking about it. I've been on it for 7 weeks now and to be honest I don't know if it is doing much good. How long does it take to notice any improvement?

7 replies. Join the discussion

I've been taking domperidone for about 5 weeks now. It has REALLY helped me, but my GP is mild compared to many people on this site. My doctor had me come in last week for a follow up EKG (he did a baseline one before he gave me the prescription), and it did show a little abnormality, but I'm taking other meds that could be causing that as well. He said that the EKG shows nothing to be concerned with right now, but I need to get an EKG and bloodwork every 6 months from now on.

Some people have said there are other tests you need to get as well, but I'm not sure what they are. I plan to ask my doctor. For me, anyway, the risk is worth it, because after 5 months of being sooooo sick and losing 35 lbs, I'm feeling 100% better. It took only about 1 1/2-2 weeks for me to see improvement. I only had severe nausea and some vomiting, but no pain. I take 10mg 3 times a day before meals.

I've been on it for about 3 weeks and haven't noticed anything yet. I am still having to take the reglan occassionally for the nausea, though I am trying to avoid that as much as possible as I still have the tremors from it. The domperidone can cause heart problems, but doesn't do it in everyone. As long as your doc stays on top of it, you should be okay.

Diana

I took it and it made my low blood pressure worse so my doc told me to stop taking it. I had been having trouble with my BP more since I was diagnosed with this. So who knows with me! ;)

Hi. Yes - that was me. My GI told me that "sometimes" the domperidone can cause fluctuations in the QT Interval, seen on an EKG. He took an EKG once a year on me to check the QT Interval. Mine was always FINE! I do have pre-existing premature atrial contractions in my heart, and even still, the domperidone did not affect my heart rhythm. Ask your GI to do an EKG on you once or twice a year (or however often he feels it's necessary) to check it. I am not sure how many people the domperidone affects in this way - maybe you could do some research on that.

Here is the one article I have posted before - but don't let it scare you too much. We all have different reactions to the drug. I think as long as you're monitored, you should be okay taking it.
http://heartdisease.about.com/od/palpitationsarrhythmias/a/QT_drugs.htm

When I was taking Domperidone it definately did help me. I took it on an 'empty' stomach, 1/2 hour before eating. I don't think it works well if there is a lot of food in your stomach at the time of taking it. Anyway, I stopped taking it after almost 3 years because it just stopped working for me.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, it was helpful. I will be sure to bring this up to my GI next time I see him. Thanks again!!!!

I have been taking domperdone since August and I have had no problems. It has been wonderful for me.
How much are you taking? I take 2 tablets 4 times a day. It is the highest dose and I titrated up to that. QT is a heart arrythmia. I have read about it, also, but I haven't had any bad side effects from it. I can't tell you that you won't have any. You just have to keep track of how you feel. I know it was taken off the market here in the U.S. and I get it from Canada. What I can tell you is it works great for me. You just have to titrate it up until you get to the dosage that works for you. Good luck, I hope it works as well for for you as it does for me. I tried a lot of things before it and nothing else has worked.

I take the domperidone 4 times a day at 10mg. I still don't know if it is really helping me because I also have severe GERD. I will be sure to discuss this with my doctor at the next visit. Thanks again.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders