GP and colon stopped working

My best friend has severe gastroparesis and her colon has stopped working. Her doctor told her yesterday that he is going to have to remove her colon and that she will be wearing a permanent bag.
Has that happened to anyone here because the colon no longer functions?

Please pray for her!

Anne

62 replies. Join the discussion

Anne- My colon does not work either. In fact I could go 6 weeks without a bowel movement. I give myself enemas on a regular basis and get colonics also. I am learning to retrain my bowel (and nervous system as it has a lot do with it) and have been fairly successful thus far. I have severe Crohn's disease and put myself into remission naturally. I would not let my doctor do a resection. Please tell your best friend to explore her options because they are out there! Do not let them remove her colon for that reason! If anything, seek out a naturopath or colon hydrotherapist!

http://megansmind-holisticwellness.blogspot.com/

Anne,

I was diagnosed with hirschsprungs disease at birth 31 years ago and had my entire colon removed then. I had an iliostomy on and off for 3 years then was connected to function normal. In 1997 I had part of my small removed but to this day have no bag. I did have a bag for 6 months in 1997 while my intestine rested and that was the worst 6 months of my life probably because of my age at the time.

Right now, I'm in the transplant evaluation process at Georgetown in Washington, DC for a small intestine. Even if this doesn't come through for me, it is possible to function without a large intestine.

Rickey

yes, my colon has stoped working, too. I am suppose to have mine removed soon, but they told me that i would not have to ware a bag. I am really scared to have the surgery. I feel for your friend, i know what she is going through.

I have researched it all, and i also have had lots of colonics. I have done the everything there is to help the colon function, with no luck. So i think my only option is to have it removed, although i do not want to.

My colon does not work either but we really have not addressed the issue much yet. Most people don't need colostomy bags anymore, though. Often times they can attach the small intestine to the rectum.

Mimi

My colon doesn't work either and I live on enemas. It's the pits and causes my metabolism speed up, weight loss which I can't afford and terrible exhaustion.
My gastro doc from Mt. Sinai in Manhattan doesn't mention surgery but a colon rectal surgeon thinks removing my colon would solve the problem. I'm really afraid to do this so I'm trying mind body and natural techniques.
The doctors have so little knowledge about gastro problems and I have no faith in them.

Hi, I have been living with a non-functioning colon for almost 5 years now. My started soon after I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. The doctors say because the CD was diagnosed so late that my body is going through hell. I now have fibromyalgia, arthritis, I have had one knee replaced and now my shoulders have to be replaced. I have been through many many tests the last ones were to see if the rectum was affected as well. And because it wasn't they are going to remove my colon and hook up the small bowel to the rectum. No Bag!!! I'm scared to death but I know I cant live like this anymore. The pain is unbearable along with all the other pain in my body. My life has been on hold for the past 5 years. I haven't been able to do anything, go anywhere, work, or socialize, I am pretty much confined to my home. I hope this works

Good Luck with the operation. I'm deathly afraid to go through it.

Thanks Dutchess

I'm deathly afraid too but I don't know what else to do. I have tried everything and I'm so sick of being in pain all the time.

hi givenup,

when was the last time you passed proper stool, if so was it a normal size etc. or do you not pass nothing, like you say you have a non-functioning colon for 5 years.

non-functioning means simply fails to operate, so how do live? are you on TPN? - YOU NEVER MENTIONED TPN? your story was so vague I just would love for you to explain a little more...

I have long term problems too with my colon, but a colostamy bag can make things worse, its not 100% gareenteed and most colonic surgery is only given when dozens of other therapies fail, which you haven't mentioned.

Just sorry but it dosen't sound right there's bits missing, its not all that simple.

take care
Highlander

I have a question for anyone who knows. I had the smart pill done and it said that i have slow motility in my colon, not scary slow but slow enough to add more things to work on with the motility doc. Is there anything you can do for that or will i have to worry about my colon not working anymore?
Im sorry Anne that your friend has to go through this. I will be praying that everything will get better. Your a good friend by sticking by her side and helping her!
~Becky

I also was living on enemas and Golytely and in horrible pain, bloating etc for almost two years. Started out of nowhere. But my colon was working, but my rectum did'nt. I finally had a fecal diversion and a colostomy. Did'nt have the colon removed , just the end moved outside my body, so I do have a bag. Its been a year and a half and it worked for me. I welcome the bag, it saved my life and I really did not have a lot of trouble adjusting to the new life. And I get to to my favorite thing - swimming every day.

Sorry, that I have not replied before now but I have been real sick. Thank you so much for replying to my post.
Take care,
Anne

Alternative medicine is the answer guys! It's important to have a "team" of people to help you get through your medical issues; however, a medical doctor is only one member of the team and definitely doesn't have all the answers. When it comes to preventative medicine or non-emergency treatment methods (like medication for chronic ailments) go back to basics and seek out the people who are trained in these areas like naturopathic doctors, macrobiotic counselors, nutrition counselors, etc. Our bodies are not meant to take in toxic drugs and and toxic foods and each of our organs perform functions which are essential to living a healthy life!

I've been where you all are and have had a non-functioning colon, crohn's disease, liver disease, aluminum poisoning, pre-diabetic - beginning stages of type 1, systemic candida, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, dysthymia, gall bladder problems, kidney infections, ovarian cysts, adrenal exhaustion, and the list goes on and on!

I was suppose to have a resection last year and I now have NONE of these things and have pictures and lab results to show that my tissue has completely regenerated itself through natural means only!

So it is possible! There are answers, cures, and hope for all of you...you just need to look in the right place and may need to do some digging to find it.

And don't let anyone remove your colon!!!!!!!! This is what they do when they've "run out of options." Their options are VERY limited and consist of surgeries and medications. There are thousands of other alternatives out there!

Hi I'm new to the site. I was diagnosed with colonic inertia (colon didn't move things along). After 3 opinions it was consistent that my colon needed to be removed. I went to Shand's Hospital in Gainesville, FL and they removed over 5 ft of colon and were able to do a resectomy (leave a few inches of the colon and attach it to the small intestine). Didn't get the colostomy. The procedure done is a total colon resectomy. However, I had other complications and now I have GP.
WIsh you the best and my thoughts are with you!!!

Hi Sunshine Baby, jus t my two cents worth. When I was diagnosed w/GP, my colon didn't do a whole lot. I could go two months without a bowel movement. I lived on Dulcolax.
It took a Hypnotist to help me get in "touch" with my colon and now that I have some control over my GP, I have found it's all tied together. The whole think, from mouth to rectum. If my stomach isn't working and I'm sick, my bowel is not working, if things are in a good phase, they all work.
I'm just saying, do research, talk to people before doing anything rash. There is hope for all of us and all of our problems:)

I agree with what megansmind has written. I'm sticking with natural medicine. It's the way to go. The gastro docs only know dangerous drugs and surgery.
Dutchess

When I was told my colon was totally paralized- I went to a liquid diet and I found if I stayed away from all fiber and stuck to the liquids with Miralax, dulcolax and flax seed oil caps -that I could function. I was told that gravity would gradually move things along. I am courious if those of you that have had parts of your colon removed had tried an all liquid diet first? I don't see it mentioned much. In the very beginning sticking to all liquids was easy as I could not swallow food for awhile after my surgery. Then I got to feeling better and felt hungry. Then it was really hard and I made myself so sick and suffered so much whenever I ate solids. Now (3 years later) it seems rather easy to stay away from the foods I crave that cause me so much pain.

Don't let them do the surgery yet! My daughter has GP and she was unable to go to the bathroom on her own, even with 4 cups of Miralax- went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and saw Dr. Camillari- she was a candidate for and did a 2 week biofeedback based pelvic floor retraining program which worked!!! After 3 months she was able to go to the bathroom on her own and only needs miralax maybe 1X every month. Many of her other symptoms also improved. The program is not for everyone and its very difficult to get into but it has an 80% success rate. If she's able to go, I'd suggest your friend look into this. Good Luck! Sue

thanks missybell.. i plan on talking with my motility doc about it because i just was in the er and the nurse said she couldnt hear anything at all... so im not worried about it.. but something i want to discuss with the doc.. thanks for replying to me!
~Becky

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders