GP after Removal of your gallbladder?

Just curious...How many of you were diagnosed with gastroparesis after having your gallbladder removed? Had my gallbladder removed and a couple years later, developed the same symptoms as a gallbladder attack & the doctors thought it was SOD, but it was really GP. I wonder if there is some sort of correlation.

35 replies. Join the discussion

It is hard to say which came first, but I know that my symptoms are much worse since gallbladder surgery.

My wife is going to get checked out for GP as soon as we can get her into the doc. She still has the same types of pain she did pre-gallbladder removal, but worse, and was diagnosed with SOD type III. She had her gallbladder out in Oct 09, and Jan 10 is when her symptoms got steadily worse, and now here we are.

ragjwg,
Yep. That's me. For several years, I felt a little bad for a few days out of the year - like sometimes like I had eaten a shoe or some foreign object, but nothing overwhelming to where I would actually go see a doctor for my discomfort. In 2005, I had horrible symptoms, and just could not eat at all. I had an incredible burning and pressure sensation between my shoulderblades, nausea - all the symptoms associated with gallbladder problems. Had no stones - it just quit working. Gallbladder removal helped a bit for a little while, them symptoms returned worse. Was told it was SOD and had a biliary sphincterotomy. Was terrified of the ERCP. I was referred to someone out of town who could do the procedure and manometry, but went with someone else in another city that I was confident could do the procedure and not give me pancreatitis. It took a while for those "SOD" symptoms to abate some, but that took care of the burning and the pressure. I continued to have right upper quadrant pain and pain in my right ribs and nausea, and began to develop horrendous stomach spasms/pylorospasms that would cause me to scream in pain and have projectile vomiting. I began eating baby food. No one could figure it out - except Mayo in Jacksonville did testing and told me it was gastroparesis. It is not as bad as many that you read about on this site - but it has affected my life! My sister thinks my problems began with gallbladder surgery. I think it definitely set me over the edge, and set me up for more motility problems. Kind of wierd how everything just started to "quit".

It is interesting that you, too, have had similar gallbladder/SOD symptoms with GP. That has thrown off a lot of doctors that I have been to. I do not have every single one of the "classic" GP symptoms all of the time, but have primarily gallbladder type symptoms. Guess my pain is referred there primarily.

I had one doctor tell me that he would be glad to refer me to a therapist because I may be depressed, and that may help me get over this pain that I said that I had. He said there was no reason for me to be in pain where I was hurting, because there was nothing there that would cause my pain. No gallbladder, had a sphincterotomy...what else could it be? Very frustrating...

I have noticed that when I have serious flare-ups when I must go on clear liquids for a week, the pain in my right ribs, back, nausea, etc...is worse and I have more stomach pain and stomach spasms. Hey - maybe I'm wired crazy, but that is where I hurt.

I am glad you posted this. I was wondering the same thing. Things got exponentially worse for me about three weeks after my gallbladder was removed. That's when I was diagnosed with GP. What I don't understand, and cannot get a straight answer from the doctor about, is if my GP is a result of the surgery or if it just happens.

Positive! I have had belly problems since I was twelve years old, but I then I had my gallbladder out in Feb. 2007 and it has been downhill from there. Having my gallbladder out just triggered everything- from being a problem a few times a week to being a problem constantly. I actually asked the surgeon to put my gallbladder back :). Three years later I now have a PICC Line and J-Tube to help with the symptoms. I really do feel like having my gallbladder out did something to my digestive system, whether there is medical proof or not?

Count me in with the group who developed GP after removal of my gallbladder. I had my gallbladder out in May 1999, had one month that I felt good and then started the daily nausea and vomiting along with a pain that was just like before gallbladder surgery. Been downhill since then. I have a few doctors who say they don't think there is a connection but have had others who say it is obvious the two things are connected.
Judy

Same here...had my gallbladder taken out 5 years ago and the only way I could explain what was going on was to tell the Dr that the last time I felt as bad as I do now was when my gallbladder was removed. I have had symptoms since the surgery and have always been able to get by. It has been the last 3 months that it got bad enough that I ended up in the hospital for a half a month then left with dx of GP. I get the response from dr's that they are not related. - Misty

Same here. Developed bad GP almost immediately after my gb remoal.

I had my gallbladder taken out when I was 12 due to it being ridden with bile stones after a stricture was found in my bile duct. I developed gastroparesis and had that diagnosed when I was about 18, so yeah, maybe the two are related?

ok I am little concerned after reading all of this because at the moment I still have my gallbladder and have had the diagnosis of GP for close to 5 years now (even though problems started way before that). However I am currently in the hospital for the 3rd admission this month sitting here with excruciating pain in my upper right quadrant and all along my lower abdomen. I am schedule to do a "workup" of tests on Mon and Tues at Temple for a pacer however the docs here think my gallbladder needs to come out soon (gallstones and contiouous pain)....does anyone have any insight as to whether I should wait for this because it might make things worse- which i really dont know how much worse it can get at this point. Or, could it help relieve some symptoms??? Just looking to see if anyone had my situation (being opposite of most of you) and what might be my better option. Thanks!

mw too. Will I have had bowel problems since a child and it was always chronic diarreah they said I had Irratible Bowel and I learned to live with it. Then it got worse I was almost in pampers. I got my gall bladder out and the pain was worse and the dirreah got to be too much that is when they diagnosed me with a carcinoid tumor. after that was removed I developed motility disorder and will no more diarreah it is chronic constipation. one extreme to the other.. but yes I had my gall bladder out first.. Interesting...

Thanks everyone and no matter what they say, I believe for some of us there may be a connection. Momof2amazing girls, get the work up, ask if they know what kind of gallstones they are, ask if Actigall generic name Urodiol (a medication that can help dissolve gallstones) can be tried first. Wrote the training program for Ciba/Novartis back in the day. Ursodiol is used to dissolve gallstones in patients who do not want surgery orcannot have surgery to remove gallstones. (This is from the NIH website). It may come down to you having to have the surgery....the last thing you want is for one of those stones to block your bile duct.

I have idiopathic GP. I started with GP symptoms, and in the process of being diagnosed I had an ultrasound which showed my gallbladder was full of sludge balls. It looked like a bag of marbles. Weird because I am male, under fifty, very slim, totally fit, and a health food fanatic, (all before the GP of course) not the typical person to have a bad gallbladder. Bad gallbladders run in my family, although depending on what doctor you talk to, some will say there can be a hereditary connection in some people and some will say there is no hereditary connection. My GI said no hereditary and the surgeon said absolutely hereditary. So I had the gallbladder removed because it was inflamed, full of stones and sludge and was told by everyone that it was a danger keeping it in. So, since my GP started prior to the removal of my gallbladder my docs believe maybe the gallbladder problem caused the GP or whatever caused the bad gallbladder caused the GP, no one knows. I was hoping that removing the gallbladder would cure me, I had read on one forum somewhere, a post from a woman who got better after having her bad gallbladder removed, but it didn't work out that way for me. No better, no worse after surgery.

My wife had what we thought was just a stomach flu 5 years ago and after several days of vomiting we went to the ER because she was getting dehydrated. They ran tests and thought it was her gall bladder and they removed it. They sent her home a day later and she continued to vomit. It was from there that they eventually diagnosed GP. All the doctors we have seen say GP could be viral in origin. The surgeon said the gall bladder was barely inflamed. I continue to wonder if she hadn't had the gall bladder removed whether the GP would have occurred.

This is exactly what happened to me!

Except now theyve diagnosed me with Pelvic Congestion Syndrom, and surgery scheduled tomorrow for a hysterectomy!!!

The first week after I had my my gall bladder removed gp started. During the surgery they collapsed my lungs and I suspect they nicked my vegas nerve at the same time. Prior to the surgery never had a problem with vomiting or the other gp symptoms. Have to forgive my surgeon everyday. Bonnie

I had my gall bladder removed at the same time that I did my nissen fundoplication surgery about five years back. I knew soon after the surgeries that my reflux type symptoms had not significantly improved. However, I was just officially diagnosed with GP a couple of weeks ago. However, I'm not sure if I had GP prior to the surgeries, or if they are as a result of the surgeries...

Yep, count me in too! Besides having my GB removed, I also had 1/2 my liver removed because of a large hemangioma (benign tumor). They don't know if the vagus nerve got snipped during surgery or what, but I developed GP six months after my surgery...
Mphotographer

I know two other people that have had their gallbladders out and neither of them have any problems anymore.

Good luck

I had my gall bladder removed 4 months ago and I have been getting these strange muscle spasms in my abdomen everytime I eat or drink. The doctor thinks it is scar tissue adhesions that are pushing up against my abdominal wall. I think not. The spasms last about 10 seconds. It goes on all day long. Some are painful and others are a discomfort for me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders