Gastroparesis questions

I just got diagnosed with gastroparesis and I am trying to find some answers. First off I got diagnosed with it when I was taking morphinne and I heard this could cause digestive system to be slow. Could being on pain meds like this make me test positive for this disease?
Also I have a question for someone with the screen name sparky she suggested some kind of probiotic VSL3 and I looked for this online and I could not find. Can this person give me more information on this drug?
I am also looking for recipes for this disease, any opinions or anything.

22 replies. Join the discussion

Are you seeing a motility doc? He/she could answer some of your questions about the diagnosis and morphine.

Here's a link to the VSL-3 probiotic:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vsl+3+probiotic&tag=googhydr-20&i ndex=hpc&hvadid=1420790487&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=90843072218350 04527&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_77fvqhcylv_e

Whats a motility dr? I dont think so I got diagnosed by a gastro dr who I think specializes in stomach problems. But it was a PA that diagnosed me.
I looked into your link and I dont see where it recommends this for people with gastroparesis? If I'm going to buy something this expensive I just want to make sure I know it has helped people w this ailment. And what exactly does it do? There is nothing cheaper out there?
Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to understand.

Pain medications such as Morphine and Codeine can affect your GI motility and therefore have an impact on the outcome of investigations like the Gastric Emptying test. I have been told to stop taking Dihydrocodeine in the days leading up to this test, as it may give false results.

Do you think I should get retested for gastroparesis before I go all out changing my diet then? And Id off the morphine.

If it was me I'd get retested, but that doesn't mean it is necessary for everyone.

Sorry, but I can't answer the question about your treatment, as I am neither a GI Doctor nor do I know your situation.

Pain meds can cause gastroparesis. I have had 2 back surgeries and was taking ONE 325/5 Percocet a day. Have been off of the pain meds for 3 months now. Just had another gastric emptying study done-came back much better. Still dealing with severe gastritris, indigestion, bloating. Very small frequent meals are best. Mayo clinic Dr. in Florida told me to get off the pain meds. Great advice.
Good Luck. :)

I am currently taking VSL#3. It is a prescription, so your doctor can call it in for you, and most insurance will cover it. Must be refrigerated-live bacteria. A tremendous help when you have killed all the good bacteria caused by antibiotics.
Hope this helps. :)

Seriously? CAUSE GP? WOW? Perhaps it was your back surgeries that LED to your developing GP? Dont get me wrong Opiates can definitely slow down gastric emptying but CAUSE GP? This would pretty much be the reason your G.E.S. improved after you stopped takingthe Opiate. It is a KNOWN FACT they we will slow down your motility, and was interested in the study which proves Opiates are the CAUSE of GP. The reason I'm extremely interested in reviewing the results bc I have Idiopathic GP, & at the 4 hr mark, I still had 96% of thefood remaining in my stomach. Due to the amt remaining, they figured it would take 72 hrs for my food to pass out of my stomach. Due to numerous abdominal surgeries it was necessary for me to be on opiates, but have always been told 8t was due to the surgeries themselves, NOT the opiates. Due to GP having a tendency to NOT be continually "active" perhaps your G.E.S. was effected by this occurance, and your slowing down on the Opiates was the true reason for your improved motility? It seems logical to me that if the opiates were the cause of your GP, it stands to reason stopping of all Opiates would be the ubknown CURE of GP? PLEASE SEND ME your findings as I would love to have a REAL REASON FOR MY GP instead of it being IDIOPATHIC, Thank you for your assistance.

Sorry about your diagnosis, but isn't it great to know why you feel like crap! LOL
I know nothing about the VSL#3 and its effects, but I do believe in probiotics in helping symptoms.
For me, I drink Kefir on a daily basis. I use Lifeway- lowfat Kefir. It costs me $3 a bottle which I split into two days. ($1.50/daily) I can get it at any of the grocery stores in my area.
I figure it is worth the money coz the cost of a meal is far higher than that.
It soothes my stomach each and every time and overall I have felt better since the start of using it.
Even if I don't feel like putting food in, this is a great second to food. Some of the flavors are awful. I prefer the pomegranate and peach flavors. It can also be mixed into smoothies as well.
I don't know how this compares to the other product, but it works well for me.

Now, about what to eat. There is many sources out there on creative ways to eat the same foods over and over and over. Free ones at that. You don't have to buy worthless books that you might only get one recipe from (like I did).
Without knowing what foods you can tolerate, it's hard to know what to suggest for you recipe-wise since we are all so different in our tolerances to food.

There are several food lists out there for GPers. They give suggestions as to what to eat and not eat overall. It really depends again on what you are willing to put in. I will not eat alot on those lists as they are not good for overall health. Like white bread, white rice, kool-aid, etc.

Here is the link to the most extensive food list I have found to date. You might wanna read the whole thing, but the Table 7 list is easy to read.

http://uvahealth.com/services/digestive-health/images-and-docs/gastroparesi s-diet.pdf

Don't believe everything you read. Do what is best for you! Be your own advocate!

Here is a link to some free recipes. I have not tried them, but some look interesting.

http://gastroparesisandgastronomy.wordpress.com/recipe-index-2/

Hope this will get you started in the right direction.

Ok so people are saying they are taking some medications or something along those lines that helps their gastroparesis but can you explain exactly how these things you're taking works? Or what its purpose is, what it does etc. And how did you hear about it being helpful? Does it say on the bottle, did your dr suggest it, etc. I just want to understand what something does before I start buying it.

My 17 year old daughter was also just dx with Delayed Gastric Emptying (gastroparesis). She was dx with Scleroderma 3 months ago, along with reflux/heartburn GERD. Her doc offered these meds for her gastropareses: Reglan, making a point to inform us that this medicine has a black box warning from the FDA. She said it has been known to cause heart arrhythmia in patients. In my research under the FDA website I found that Reglan is also shown to cause Turrets with long time use. Doc also offered Domparidone if I didn't want her taking the Reglan. Domparidone is not approved by the FDA so therefore cannot be filled in the USA. She recommended if I wanted my daughter to take this med we would have to order it thru Canada. Those were our two choices to treat her gastroparesis. What are some other meds that people are taking for gastroparesis? I'm trying to explore all of our options, it is difficult to give into medicine on an indefinite basis at this point, so we are also interested in any natural/homeopathic remedies that people are finding results with. She just started using Doterra Digestzen this week, within 30 minutes of rubbing it on her stomach she could feel things moving and gurgling. She thinks it might have made her feel better. We will continue to try it and see how she feels.

Best of luck to you in your search for homeopathic medicines. Being your daughter is newly dx'd, I noticed when mentioning Gastroparesis that the 2 gold standards of Rx's used with Gastroparesis reduce, or suppress the symtoms of the disease, NOT to TREAT the disease. Currently there is no treatment.

Yes narcotics can cause gastropersis and colonic inertia

Mistyrain: I too was diagnosed with gastroparesis AFTER being on pain meds (now a Fentanyl patch). No one told me to stop the pain meds before I had the test. And now, whenever I mention the test and that I was on the pain meds when I had it, they ignore that fact (pain meds) and say "YOU HAVE IT". I am honestly shocked at such shallowness!! Why not order another test without the pain meds on board? Then again, if the pain meds ARE causing the GP, then I feel I must "deal" with it because I am on the pain meds. In dealing with it, I don't eat after 7 PM and try to stick with liquids. The funny thing is that with this condition you are supposed to lose weight?? Yeah...I am STILL waiting for that to happen! Nor do I have nausea, early satiety etc etc. The ONLY symptom I have had (and even before I was diagnosed with GP) is nausea when laying on my left side. Keep in mind 3 years prior to my second gastric emptying test, I was told it was normal !!!

Who or what study has proven pain meds have caused GP? Diabetes is a cause of GP& the other form, which I have had for 13 yrs is IDIOPATHIC GP. In idio GP, there supposedly is NO KNOWN CAUSE, lots of educated guesses, i.e. abdominal surgery's & such, but according to the numerous G.I.'s I have had, all of them have said there is no known cause. Is there info you could post for me so I could in turn pass it over to the G.I.'s so they will STOP giving misleading information out to the public? I would be evet so greatful for your study showing pain meds are the CAUSE & NOT A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR, THANK YOU!!v

The domperidone can be ordered through inhousepharmacy.com-a New Zealand Pharmacy or call toll free-877-271-6591
No prescription is required.

I had thorasic back surgery 13 years ago, then cervical disk fusion 7 years ago. It has only been in the last 3 years that I began taking oxycodone. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with gp. Just had another emptying study done, now it is mildly abnormal-I have been off the pain meds for 3 months. A gastro doctor at Mayo said, I don't think you have gp. Stop taking the pain med, then we will do another gastric emptying.
Only down side, back pain is back with a vengeance. So it's a trade off. It's all about the quality of life. Wish I had the right answer for everyone, I can only share what happened to me. I am slowly adding some foods back into my diet, still have bloating, gas, only small amounts taken in at one time. Nausea is not as severe.
Good luck. :)

Forgot to say mine was diagnosed as idiopathic.

03/05/12 -10mm ulcer, large bezoar, gastroparesis etc.

On oxycodone [15mg x4 a day, sometimes split in half], GI moved be to fentanyl patch which is more GP friendly [03/25/12], side effects created hyperacidity in stomach, released to much medcine when I got overheated and GI recommended I be placed back on oxy pills. Dr Gupta, Central Florida is who I see, and he said he wants pain managed patients to be managed or it creates other problems.

I was placed on bethanecol 25mg before meals to enhance motility slowed down by narcotics.

I had another endo on 5/3/12 and 6/29/12, NO bezoars and NO signs of gp so bethanecol is working, I also miralax and fibercon to keep things nice and moving.

If bethanecol fails, the 2nd choice or next step is Domparidone, my guy will NOT use reglan.

FInding a balance between narcotic side effects and GP is trial and error, we will always have GP, and everyone has different triggers etc.

Hi. I was just given a confirmation of GP in June after many years of issues. My bowel has completely stopped working. I see a GI at HUP (Hospital of University of Pennsylvania). I'm see a doc at Temple next week for help.

I say this to you because my GI in Harrisburg PA started me on Domperidome. There is a pharmacy in Carlisle PA that compounds the Domperidome on site. Because you can not submit to health insurance you have to pay out of pocket. It's $95 for approximately 30 - 45 day supply depending on the number of times a day she eats. The pharmacy has my CC information on file so I just call the, up when I need a refill and they mail to me. http://qcpharmacy.com/. I've gotten the medicine twice from them. It does not work for me however I am in the middle of jumping through hoops for my insurance company.

Good luck! Please let me know if you need more info about the pharmacy. Regards, jeri

To lacofdwife94... First of all let me say I am so sorry to hear that your young daughter is dealing with such awful diseases. I was diagnosed at 48. I can't even imagine going through what she is going through at such a young age. Now, as far as meds go I have taken many. I found out very early in my diagnoses that I couldn't take reglan and now almost 7 years later I am glad I wasn't able to since I have heard many horror stories about the drug. I take zofran for nausea without any side effects. I don't know where you are, what state or city but I was able to get domeparidone from my compound pharmacy here in town...I live in Fresno, CA.

These are the meds I am on now:
Protonix 2x's a day
Zofran up to 4x's a day
Neurontin up to 4x's a day
Lidoderm patch
I have a pic line & do fluids every night to keep me hydrated.

I hope this helps...Sherri

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders