Gastroparesis or not????

Hi everyone, hope this is not too long and will try to shorten it.
June 16th, 2011 I woke up with vertigo and couldn't get out of the lying position until July 7th when I went to my doctor. He told me my TMJ was rubbing against my inner ear and put me on pedisone. August 23rd I was put on Zoloft for the pain in my jaws as I hold stress in my jaws Five days later I started get sick at my stomach everyday all day long unless I laid down. I got off Sept.23rd but the nausea continued everyday unless I laid down or walked around.
I finally went to a surgeon Oct. 23rd to talk about doing a scope. He told me (without doing the scope) that I had GP because I was a diabetic and didn't have a gallbladder and gave me reglan and sent me on my way. My diabetic doc said there was no way I had it because my A1C was always great and the nerves in my eyes and feet were great so he order a contrast/non contrat pelvic floor c-scan. That test showed no blockages. Dec 13th I go to a Gastro doc and he ordered a stomach emptying test. I had18% of my food left after 90 mins.
MY symptons are nausea and bloated stomach. I am on reglan, zofran and ativan and am able to eat anything I want without a problem except gluten because I am gluten intolerant.
Does this sound like I have GP? I can not get off my medicine without it making me sick.
Oh yeah, my family doc says I have a lot of acid because it has eat the enamel off my teeth. My GP doc thinks the nausea is coming from a vertigo that does not cause dizziness. So confused but would like to get off reglan if I don't have GP.

God bless,
tresia33

15 replies. Join the discussion

Tresia,

It's so hard to say since all of our symptoms are so different. Back in Aug 2010, I woke up one morning with a stomach virus and just never got better. I was diagnosed several months later with post-viral GP. My only symptoms were nausea and bloating, but as long as I stayed on my Domperidone I did okay with food. I also had the botox injection in my stomach that took care of the bloating. My GP went away in Jan 2011. Just had another stomach bug 2 weeks before Christmas and now I'm back to square 1. Nausea and bloated again! I hope you can figure out your situation.....because it's all so puzzling and frustrating!! :(

P.S. i took Reglan and it had awful side effects. I started ordering Domperidone from Canada and it's been a miracle drug for me. i don't have any side effects at all!

I love boxers too! I've had them all my life.
So you've only had nausea and bloating too? Do you ever throw up? I never have but wanted to badly!!! I hate reglan but my doc threw a fit when I told him I didn't want to take it. I am trying to get a script for the D but no luck so far.
Thanks for replying!

FWIW, Reglan can have quite nasty side effects--tardive dyskinesia, a movement disorder similar to Tourette's. And, there is no cure.

Could also be Functional Dyspepsia.

Yes! Those are my ONLY symptoms. I often feel like throwing up, but never have with GP. You can't get a Rx for Domperidone here in the US, but you can order it from www.inhousepharmacy.biz. I normally order the 900 count for $100, but you can order larger/smaller quantities. The brand name is called Motillium and you can order it right off the website....easy breezy. Maybe you could ask your doctor if you could switch?? The botox injection only lasts 3-6 months and doesn't work for everyone, but it was another miracle for me....along with the Dom. Keep us posted! Message me anytime if you have more questions for me.

And yes, boxers are the greatest! :-D

vertigo can cause nausea. You're symptoms may be related to this and not gastroparesis. If you had only 18% of your food left at 90 minutes you have a normal gastric emptying study. Go see an ear-nose-and throat physician if your symptoms persist.

What is fuctional dyspepsia? Thanks for any info!

hi, does the domperidone make you drowsy? What dosage do you take and how often?

Thanks

YAY,boxerdogs I ordered the Domperidone!!! I am so happy to think I get off reglan!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY

via Wikipedia: Dyspepsia (from the Greek δυσ- dys- and πέψις pepsis "digestion"), also known as upset stomach or indigestion, refers to a condition of impaired digestion.[1] It is a medical condition characterized by chronic or recurrent pain in the upper abdomen, upper abdominal fullness and feeling full earlier than expected when eating.[2] It can be accompanied by bloating, belching, nausea, or heartburn. Dyspepsia is a common problem, and is frequently due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or gastritis, but in a small minority may be the first symptom of peptic ulcer disease (an ulcer of the stomach or duodenum) and occasionally cancer. Hence, unexplained newly onset dyspepsia in people over 55 or the presence of other alarming symptoms may require further investigations.[3]

Functional dyspepsia (previously called nonulcer dyspepsia[4]) is dyspepsia "without evidence of an organic disease that is likely to explain the symptoms".[5] Functional dyspepsia is estimated to affect about 15% of the general population in western countries.

The full link is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyspepsia

And from the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders: http://www.aboutgimotility.org/site/about-gi-motility/disorders-of-the-stom ach/functional-dyspepsia

Thank you jyum, does that mean I can possibly have an ulcer or stomach cancer? I had a pelvic floor contrast/non contrast c scan and did not have any obstructions. I'm waiting for my Gastro doctor to get back with me about all the blood test he took.

Dyspepsia can be non ulcer. I don't remember seeing anything relating stomach cancer to dyspepsia.

It's a functional disorder where there is to physiological cause they can pinpoint on why the digestive system is challenged.

I don't want to take Reglan bec of the neurological side-effects, which may persist after the reglan is d/c'ed so take domperidone, which I get from inhousepharmacy.biz as "Motilium" made by Jannsen which iws a subsidiary of JOhnson & Johnson.

I have Functional Dyspepsia with Post-prandial Distress syndrome, not completely helped by Dom. This is a real entity included in the Rome III classification of finctional disorders. My gastric emptying is normal. I am looking into repeating tests for H pylori, which I had, but had eradicated, and antidepressants, such as nortriptyline. There is a big study in progress or finished, on nortryiptyline and GP, but not published yet. I am going to talk to my expert in El Paso, where McCallum and his group from Univ Kansas in Kansas City moved.

One thing: MAKE SURE you have the FULL FOUR-HOUR gastric emptying test. All GP/FD experts insist on it. As many as 44% of 'normal's half way thru have delayed emptying at the end.

Another thing: it is best to be treated and followed by experts in GI motility disorders, not just the usual general practitioner or even gastroenterologist. This is a very specialized group of diseases. It is also best if you can find a group that works with surgeons to install the "Enterra" gastric stimulating 'pacemaker'. They deal with the sickest patients and understand all of the problems, including the psychological ones. I was going to go to Mayo's in Scottsdale until I learned that they didn't use it--I don't know why. I don't need it, but feel that the docs who use it probably know the most about these baffling diseases.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders