Gastroparesis Cookbooks & Recipes

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone knows of good cookbooks or websites that provide solid nutritional advice AND recipes for those that suffer from gastroparesis. I have recently been diagnosed with GP and am finding it a challenge to maintain my weight and get all my nutrients. Changing to a low-fat/low-fiber diet is a big change and it would nice to have a little guidance on how to go about accomplishing such a big dietary change. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Sam

7 replies. Join the discussion

Hi samiduke!

In one of the AGMD newsletters, there is an article about gastroparesis and diet that you may find helpful. I agree with you - there really isn't alot out there (and I am a registered dietitian and also have gastroparesis!!). My suggestion to you would be to try to find a dietitian in your area in order to receive a consultation and individualized nutrition counseling especially if you are having trouble with your weight. If you go to www.eatright.org (the website for the American Dietetic Association) you can click on "find a nutrition professional" and then type in your zip code and you will receive a list of dietitians in your area. Let me know if this is helpful!

Hi Samiduke,
We found a probiotic called VSL3. It is only available online, in pill or powder form. I believe it has made a difference in healing my daughter's colon some.

My teenage daughter has been through the ringer, like you. She has CIPO, severe constipation. After much research and investigation we noticed in her stool that her food wasn't digested, and therefore she was not getting much nutrition, besides having to deal with the pain of severe constipation. She was put on CREON digestive enzymnes to break down her food and that make a huge difference! She takes them with every meal and snack.
Zelnorm helped her also over the past two years.
A low-fat, low fiber diet has also helped her, as well as eating cauliflower, raw and cooked.
I read some of your comments about the stomach acid prohibiting medicines. I agree that when she was taking those they made things worse, counter productive, since in fact she wan't making enough acid to break down her food. I believe it is possible they contributed to her CIPO condition.
Let me know if you try the probiotic VSL3 and it's results. From what I have read antibiotics and slow colon transit really ruin the good bacteria in the whole digestive system, so it makes since that it needs to be strengthened with good bacteria.
Good luck, darla 34

Hi Samiduke,
Welcome aboard!
I can't give you the name of any Gastroparesis specific cook books but as someone who has struggled with diet to control CIPO for many years, I can perhaps give you a few bits of advice. No-one can tell you what to eat. Your condition will be very specific to you and you must take the time to establish what you can and can't eat. Use every bit of common sense you can muster. During many long years of trial and error I have had to exclude the following from my diet. Onions, tomatoes, Sweetcorn, vinegar, fruit juices and squashes of all kinds. Alcohol, Sauces and condiments of all kinds. Mustard is a real NO NO, as are any other spices. Strangely ice cream and corn flakes are bad news. Mayonaise would send me into orbit. I find that I cannot tolerate any breakfast cereals with added vitamins. I won't bore you as the list goes on and on. I am best if I eat very basic foods say a little grilled chicken with pototoes to curb my hunger and several lots of fresh organic vegetables. I'm afraid you will need to turn your back on fast convenience foods. Keep things as simple as you possibly can, pretend to be a cave man!! We have not yet discovered the reason why these awful conditions are on the increase but I suspect that it might be related to all the rubbish that is loaded into our foods. I am intrigued to hear how your problems seemed to appear so suddenly. I am starting to suspect that a nasty viral infection might be targeting our GI systems and leaving behind untold damage in its wake. This is not as daft as it sounds. Did you know that a virus exists that can destroy the heart in 24 hours, very rare but nasty!
Glad to hear that you are into music. My son is at present studying sound engineering and plans to study electronic engineering at Uni. He loves writing music and has a band called 13th Hour. Take a break from worrying about your stomach and give him a listen! You will find him on Myspace at www.myspace.com\13thhourband.

K.

I am strugglling with this issue as well, and convinced we need to write a cookbook , to help others with GP. I used to be a fabulous cook, watched all the cooking shows, subscribed to several magazines, always treating friends and family to my favorite creations. Not being able to eat is HUGE!!

Ask for a referral to a nutritionist. My insurance rejected my request, but maybe you'll have luck. Buy a juicer, a blender, a sieve.

Understand what type of Gastroparesis you have. Is the pyloris in spasm? Do the stomach muscles work at all? Are the intestines working? If you don't know, ask to be tested further.

My doctor said if I have 3 Ensures a day, I have consumed adequate nutrition. Of course thats boring, but that is a good accomplishment on days you are at your worst. You can find liquid vitamins. You can do a lot with juice and gravity. Be aware of what you eat and plan in advance. Always keep a drawer in the fridge full of what you know you can tolerate, drinks, pudding, yogurt, etc. No raw fruits and veggies. You don't want to put in anything that your body can't break down. If it wont exit the stomach, it will sit there. You can develope Bezoars, which I understand can increase pain, and need to be surgically removed.

It's not easy. Then there is the whole social aspect of food and eating. I'm looking for a restaurant that makes something I can eat, so at least I can meet up with friends from time to time.

Low fat, low fiber, not easy. This takes effort! kate

Hi Sam,

I've looked online and found very little as far as recipes. I find smoothies work pretty well. But, I have to use splenda instead of real sugar. I put in a protein powder then try to get creative for taste. And take a really good vitamin that is either liquid or breaks down really quickly. I've maintained my health and weight, somehow. Good luck and welcome. I'm looking for recipes as well, so let's hope,

Kimber

Hi Sam,

I forgot to mention, make sure you add probiotics to your diet. They help you keep a healthier digestive track and help your body absorb the nutrients it does get.

Kimber

The best diet I've found for my disease (Pseudo obstruction) is the specific carbohydrate diet. Theres a great book out there by Elaine Gotschall called "Breaking the Viscious Cycle" with some amazing recipes and here is a website: http://www.scdrecipe.com/home/.
Basically its a diet with stays away from complex carbs (wheat, sugar, lactose) and processed foods.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders