gastric bypass sugery for gastroparesis relief

I have recently heard that having a gastric bypass for intractable gastroparesis has become a form of treatment. Has anyone suffering from gastroparesis heard about this new surgical alternative? If so, I would love to hear from anyone who has endured the procedure, or who may have heard about patient receiving such a surgery.
Thanks-
gijen

10 replies. Join the discussion

My surgeon just last week said he would do this procedure on me. I have post surgical gp and read a study online (if you search gastrectomy for gastroparesis you can find it)where 86% of patients with post surgical gp had improvement. I've talked to about 3 people who had this and all said they were happy they had it. One said they were glad they did it, but it had other downsides to it. There was a thread on this site that people said they were post op and they were talking about their experiences. I have to get a few tests before I have it done, but the insurance will do it as a treatment for gp. He said he would make a small pouch and connect my small intestine to the pouch. This would bypass the pylory. I'm thinking that if my vagus nerve was cut during a surgery, that maybe the pylory doesn't open so easily. I can also stand to lose some weight, so this would be a good option for me either way.

I've also heard of this too. I know there can be some problems with this, but when you're facing severe GP and feeding tubes/TPN and chronic nausea and vomiting, it could possibly provide an improvement. If you decide to have it, please keep us informed of how you're doing to see if it might be an option for us.
Thanks!
Liz

I would be extremely interested in hearing more about this option. I have severe gastroparesis, have a J-tube as well as a PICC line for TPN feeds. I have been told that the only option left for me is gastric pacer surgery. I would love to know how this surgery compares to the one you are talking about..... which one is most likely to relieve the awful nausea, vomiting and pain issues. Please share any info that you find out. Thanks!!
Shelby

Well, I had a total tummy removal. It has stopped the constant vomiting. I do not dehydrate as easily. It does open up other problems. I think that it is a big step and you, your family and physician will come up with the right choice.

Please before you do it, read all you can about gastric bypasses. That is what they are doing, essentially, right? Eating after one of those is very different. I would say keep reading and chatting. I had no other choice, it was take the tummy or "bye"...so I said HERE HAVE IT! LoL

Good luck! Let us know what you decide and how you are doing. You might be a "pioneer" in helping others go through it, you know?

I had gastric bypass rou en y procedure 4 and one half years ago, now I am very ill with gastroparesis.I cannot keep wt on, nauseaus,vomiting, eating baby food, on many drugs and working very hard to feed myself so TPN never has to be an option. Again I am worse now than when I was 100 pounds overweight. Thanks heartmom

Hi: I have heard about this too and I am on a mission to find a doctor. I have talked to people who have said it completely gave them their lives back. Alot of recuperating time though. I live in Wyoming and it isn't even heard of here. The people I have talked to live in Florida and NJ (I think). When I asked my gi about it, he said in his 20+ years of practicing he nor his colleagues have ever referred anyone for this.

I know that I would feel better. Yesterday at 10:00 p.m. I vomitted profusely and breakfast was a part of it. I am n/v 24/7.

Good luck and like I said I am on a mission for this. I am hoping to not to have to travel to Florida. I do believe there is a Dr. Duperior in San Antonio Texas that does this.

The surgery that I am considering, I think is the sleeve one or also might be call DS as it doesn't let your body deplete so much nutrition.
Tracy

Tracy-
I found the information on Dr. Duperior on line. I e-mailed him personally to ask about the gastric sleeve surgery for patients with gastroparesis. I will let you know if he e-mails me back. His e-mail address is www.bmioftexas.com His phone 866-966-4wls or 210-615-8500. The web site is really good. I hope this helps.
gijen

While qualifying for the gastric sleeve surgery for weight loss, i found out i have gastroparesis. I did not realize until now while doing research that it can be so serious. I had the sleeve done on 1/6, am on reglan and doing well. I don't have diabetes, never had n/v from food/eating. Not aware of bloating. just was fat.
MD seems optomistic

had procedure at GBMC with Dr Moenilmoki in Baltimore, Maryland

Did you hear anything back from the doctor?

Yes, the Doctor replied and said he would do a modified gastric bypass, not a gastric sleeve. He said it might help my gastroparesis. I do not live in Texas where he is, I am in Atlanta GA. I have found a surgeon here who is willing to take on my case. Stay in touch.
gijen

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders