Gastric Bypass for Gastroparesis

Has anyone has a gastric bypass for treatment of Gastroparesis? I'm awaiting my 2nd pacemaker but gastric bypass has also been suggested should the pacemaker not be effective. Any information would be helpful.

12 replies. Join the discussion

I've had my surgeon that placed my pacemaker suggest it. i went for a second opinion and found that i have slow motility in the small intestine therefore it would not be wise for me to get the 90% stomach removal at least not at this time. Best wishes to you!

CAPS FOR VISION.
I'VE BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND IT DIDN'T HELP, BUT THAT IS PARTLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY GP INVOLVES THE ENTIRE GI TRACT NOT JUST THE STOMACH. I HAVE READ IT IS MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL IN PEOPLE WHO HAVE GP BECAUSE OF DIABETES. I ALDO KNOW THERE ARE SEVERAL INSPIRE MEMBERS WHO HAD SUCCESS WITH IT AND I DON'T KNOW IF THEY HAD DIABETES OR NOT. MY ADVICE WOULD BE TRY EVERYTHING ELSE FIRST, BECAUSE ONCE THEY REMOVE SOMETHING THEY CAN'T PUT IT BACK. ALSO, FIND OUT IF YOUR STOMACH IS THE "ONLY" ISSUE. I'M WILLING TO TRY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE.
FP

I have also had roux en y gastric bypass surgery (NOT FOR WEIGHTLOSS---- WAS ALREADY VERY UNDERWEIGHT!!!) to help treat my SEVERE gastroparesis. This decision was based on my many failures of all other treatment options. I had already tried and failed all available medications, had a J tube (pure hell.... horrible horrible experience), had a PICC line for TPN, and had the gastric stimulator (pacemaker) surgery. None of these things had improved my situation enough.... I was basically slowly starving to death and suffering miserably..... horrible quality of life. The bypass surgery has improved things in one way and ONLY one way.... I rarely vomit. It is almost impossible to vomit after bypass surgery. So for someone who was barfing over a dozen times a day EVERY SINGLE DAY... well this is truly a blessing to not be barfing. Now, having said that, there are many, many, many times I wish I could vomit and get the relief that comes with it. It is horrible to be soooooooooo nauseated (still deal with that issue ALL THE TIME) and not be able to barf. Also, bypass surgery means you will forever have issues with absorption so malnutrition is a constant battle and you will have to have monitoring for the rest of your life. Also, the little pouch that is left behind does not hold much of anything.... so a few sips of protein shake is all I can do. I am extremely limited on my intake and am barely able to sustain myself... they are talking TPN via my portacath now :( I swear the only reason my weight is semi stable is that I am starvation mode. Good thing too I guess as I have lost even more weight since the surgery and now am 30 pounds underweight!! Would I do this surgery again knowing all I do now??---------- I would have to say NO. It has made more problems than solved. That is just my experience and I hope that whatever you decide to do that you have wonderful results and a much improved quality of life. Good luck, Shelby

Thank you for the info.

My GI dr sent me to a surgeon who recommended a gastric bypass but I am looking for a second opinion - that seems to drastic - there are so many parts to the stomach it seems excessive to remove the whole thing...if you hurt your knee would you ampute your leg? Just my thoughts...

I am hoping the sleeve gastrectomy, with botox to keep the pylorus open, will fix my GP. There was a 4 person study done on diabetics with GP. They all had sleeve gastrectomies and they all seemed to be "cured" of the GP. I know that amount of people doesn't really make a study, but at this point in my life, having tried everything else, I want to do it. Now I just need to find a GP to do it so insurance will pay for it. If I would be getting it for weight loss, insurance wouldn't cover the whole thing.

I have also heard only positive results with the sleeve gastrectomy, and the up side to this procedure is that you are not having anything cut or removed from your stomach or intestines. The sleeve is much less invasive and seems to be pretty safe. I have an appointment in April with a GI doctor to discuss this in greater detail. My general practioner seems to think this is a good route to explore considering most meds. have failed. I will keep you posted. Thanks and good luck to all.

I had a subtotal gastrectomy with a roux en y gastrojejunostomy due to severe gastroparesis destroying my body. I have severe gastroparesis. I found out I had this “lovely” disease in 2005 after a complete small bowel obstruction that was left undiagnosed. I have been unable to orally consume food in almost 4 years. I have been on TPN several times but due to serious PICC line infections, the PICC was finally pulled. I also was on J-tube feeding for 18hours a day due to my overall significant weight loss and inability to eat. I was originally 128 lbs and now I am at 83 lbs. The doctors feel that in time my weight will increase. It is going to take time learning how to eat again. I will only be able to tolerate small amounts of food (the size of a shot glass). I am being taught how to eat without overeating being my stomach is so small. My nutritionist is teaching me how to eat again to avoid complications like dumping syndrome.

My surgery was Jan 19th. They removed 2/3 of my stomach and did a small bowel resection. The new stomach is the size of an egg. The surgery was done completely laparoscopically. It is a long recovery. It usually takes a year where your “new” stomach finally works properly and where you can see what foods are tolerable.
I have tried many medicine therapies in hopes I could live a “normal” life only nothing has helped. The way I was living was no way to live so I opted for the Gastrectomy/ Roux-en-y surgery as this was my only choice of having a somewhat of a normal life.
I used to vomit several times a day and I had severe nausea 24/7. I had nausea so bad that my kids knew if they couldn’t find me in the house that I was probably on the bathroom floor curled up in a ball.

Right now I am 9 weeks post op and I have noticed a HUGE improvement. Being I am still mainly on liquids my weight is still low but I am able to tolerate Protein Shakes and Greek Yogurt which is something I was unable to tolerate prior to the surgery. I am glad I had the surgery because now I know I have a chance of having a “normal” life again. I was also lucky to find someone from this support group who I became very friendly with. She had the same surgery. She was there for me when I was contemplating having it done. She has been my life saver and to this day we try to talk as often as possible. I waited 8 years for my miracle and I feel after having this surgery that I may have gotten my miracle. I still have a long way to go in recovering but I am seeing a HUGE improvement. Being able to tolerate Protein Shakes and Greek Yogurt is something I was never able to tolerate prior to the surgery. I will be attempting "soft" solid foods soon. Even though I am 9 weeks post op, I have to take everything really slow because I have been unable to tolerate food orally in many years.

If you have the surgery done make sure it is only done by a Bariatric Surgeon. Do not have a general surgeon do the surgery. A Bariatric surgeon is specialized in doing a Roux-en-y along with making the stomach smaller.
Good luck in your decision and remember that everyone is “medically” different so don’t be scared off if this surgery didn’t work on some people because it may work on you.

I HAVE HAD THE GASTRIC BYPASS BEFORE I WAS DIOGNOSED WITH GASTROPERISIS AND THEY TELL ME THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO FOR ME BUT NOT SURE IF IT WOULD HELP YOU OR NOT I JUST KNOW THAT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A SMALL STOMACH THAT MY FOOD IS STILL NOT DIGESTING WELL. SO THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY COULD POSSIBLE PUT A PACEMAKER IN BUT NOT FOR A WHILE BECAUSE I AM JUST 6 MONTHS POST OPP FROM THE GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY. SO GOOD LUKE AND GOOD BLESS.

Hello Shamrockmom, I am so sorry to hear your story and the hell you've been through. I wish the best for you . I will keep you in my prayers and hope you will continue to heal and eat food again, it seems you are finally on the right track with a light at the end of the tunnel. my best wishes to you.

Shelby,
I too had the Gastric Bypass with Roux-en-y like you, NOT for weight loss. I am sorry the surgery was not successful for you. My surgeon warned me the possibility that this surgery may not work being so much of my stomach was dead and the small bowel was damaged from several J-tube complications. I am also very underweight. As we speak I am 83 lbs. I am 5’3” and I am 52 years old, so to be 83lbs is not a good thing. My last bowel obstruction in 2008 really took a toll on me and shut my whole body down. At that time in 2008 I weighed 128. Being I lost so much weight on a tiny framed body my skin is now hanging. I lost ALL muscle tone. Per my doctors, I am not allowed to burn calories….. so how do I build up muscle loss? When I look in the mirror I feel I look like a 90year old woman with the “hanging” skin. It is very upsetting. Like you I tried so many medications and treatments only nothing worked. I also agree that life on TPN along with a J-tube 18 is pure HELL!!! I was on J-tube feedings 18 hours a day along with 3 hours IV hydration and 12 hours of TPN. I felt as though my life was taken from me. The daily routine of tube life was a full-time job. I am not saying my life now is a walk in the park but it is so much better. I was advised against getting a gastric stimulator being most of my stomach was already dead. I saw 2 surgeons and they said the success rate with the stimulator was only 50% so that was a no-brainer. Why would I expose myself to another surgery for 50%?

I am 9 weeks post op and I have noticed a HUGE improvement. Being I am still mainly on liquids my weight is still low but I am able to tolerate Protein Shakes and Greek Yogurt which is something I was unable to tolerate prior to the surgery. I still vomit occasionally when I try to introduce “soft” foods other than my shakes and yogurt. With my bypass, being most of my stomach was dead; the surgeon had to still use part of my dead stomach to make the “new” pouch. Because of this he left the opening of the stomach to the small bowel very wide to allow food to empty without sitting in the pouch to long. If the consistency of the food is thick, it sticks to the inside stomach wall triggering severe nausea and vomiting. Thank god I have a really good nutritionist who speaks with me very often. She is teaching me how to eat all over again. I know what you mean about barely being able to sustain ourselves being our new stomachs are so small. I take very small sips of my protein shake or 1 baby spoon size portion of vanilla greek yogurt every 30minutes. I keep a chart every day so my doctors can see what my intake is and what my weight is. I do have to say that I am glad I had the surgery because now I know I have a chance of having a “normal” life again.

Being you are having severe nausea do you take anything for it? My gastro doc has me taking 4mg of Zofran “sublingual” 3 times a day. I take it faithfully because as soon as I don’t take it BAM the nausea hits me like a ton of bricks. My surgeon along with my gastro doc both told me that after bypass surgery I will always have issues with absorption so it is very important to take chewable vitamins and chewable calcium every day. Also I was told to take sublingual B-12 once a week.

I hope you feel better and that you start to see results.
If ever you want to talk send me a message and I can give you my e-mail address.

Take care
Eileen

Hello Eileen, I started taking sublingual B-12 approx. a week ago, but I take once daily. I was wondering why you only take it once a week?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders