Fiber therapy for gastroparesis

What products do you use for fiber?

I am trying to get away from the miralax. It bloats me out so much that if I take it at noon I won't be hungry to 7-9pm at night.

I have found that Citrucel is nice. (It is a non-fermentable fiber so doesn't feed the bad bacteria).

I don't bloat out as I do from the miralax but I have to take 12 grams a day. (I believe miralax is 16 grams in a dose?). The biggest problem with Citrucel is they added a freaken ton of food coloring to it. It turns my urine a florescent yellow collor (like a neon highlighter). I can't imagine that is healthy either. Citrucel sells caplets without all the coloring. The issue with that is the price. To take 12 grams of caplets is about 24 caplets a day. That makes it expensive!

Fibercon is another option. Anyone try it?

What about benefiber or metamucil? According to this benefiber should cause less gas:

"Consuming wheat dextrin can produce less gas and bloating than psyllium, and it doesn't thicken so quickly in liquids. Psyllium may cause bloating or gas, especially the first week or two of regular use. However, gas and bloating do occur with either fiber in some sensitive individuals."

Cereal fibers rich in cellulose, such as wheat bran, are relatively resistant to bacterial fermentation.

17 replies. Join the discussion

I used Benefiber for quite a while before it stopped working all together for me. Didn't have any bloating or anything with it, but then again, I didn't start bloating until after I had the pacer placed. I had already started MIralax by then.

Diana

I use a magnesium supplement called Calm. It gives me a necessary mineral and loosens my stools. Here is a link to it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Gillhams-Natural-Vitality-Raspberry/dp/B000WVY4 PE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342581292&sr=8-1&keywords=calm+magnesium+powder

Jenna

Tried that as well. It worked, but again only for a while then it quit...even at the highest dose

Diana

Is there a difference between magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate? I take magnesium oxide daily and it doesn't do anything. I'm thinking of trying the benefiber.

Are your dr recommending the fiber supplements and are you haveing major constipation? It can slow down emptying rather than speed it up which I would think would be the cause of the bloating, or the constipation. Just curious.

I was put on Konsyl for years by a surgeon for chronic diarrhea. It got no taste or flavor to it. Just fiber. I loved it! I faithfully took it three times a day. It worked wonders for me! I stopped using it since I was diagnosed GP last year. I noticed fiber in general does just sit in my stomach. It is a little cheaper to get it online if it works for you. You can easily pick it up in a local pharmacy. I don't know if it is fermentable though. It's just the typical psyllium (right spelling?) fiber.

The citrate seems to work better for many people. Something about the formulation causes fewer problems. But still, talk to your doc if you've been on one formulation and looking to change.

It would be nice to talk to my doctor. She is MIA again! Due to an overbooking error, they cancelled my appointment. I haven't been in since Feb and they can't get me in for at least another month. Last time I tried asking the nurse for a script refill she told me to just wait for my next appointment. They are not helping at all. I am on my own.

I have slow motility throughout my intestinal tract, so constipation is a major problem. I tried triphala, it helps but doesn't do much.

Im taking Miralax 1/2 dose 3 times a week and 200 mg of colace. I have heard of Calm and wondered about something with mag citrate bc we used that for preps for colons. Im sure it is not the same strenght but worth looking into

I was having bouts of constipation, and my doctor suggested juicing every day. I now juice organic carrots, apples, beets, jicama, and lemon. I add 1 tbs of organic flax seed oil or hemp oil. I do not have the constipation problem at all any more. For gas and bloating, I just started using Gaia Gas and Bloating. It seems to work very well and my body seems to agree with it. Good luck.

I'm surprised these fiber drinks are not hard on your stomach. I've read that fiber is difficult on the stomach, i'd be afraid to try it. My stomach is so sensitive to everything, even natural calm caused burning in my stomach and serious nausea. When I could eat solid food, natural calm didn't seem to help much at all and I was taking the maximum dose, until my stomach couldn't tolerate it anymore.

I'm confused....are we supposed to take in fiber. I was told not to. I have bouts of horrible constipation and then horrible diarrhea with nothing in between. I do find papaya enzymes help with bloating and gas pressure which I get alot. I would like to hear from more people about the taking of fiber.
Donna

We are supposed to limit the fiber, so generally the fiber supplements will cause many more problems than they help. But, everyone is different and some people do just fine on them. Try to stay away from stimulant laxatives as your body can become dependent on them. I use them only when I haven't gone for at least a week regardless of the Miralax dose. Osmotic ones are much easier on your body in general, just make sure you're drinking enough to compensate.....if possible.

Diana

There are some fiber supplements that don't feed the bacteria. I believe Fiber con and Citrucel are the only ones that are completely non-fermentable and shouldn't cause any gas. I just wish there was an alternative to the miralax.

I just called my gi dr today I am on my 9th dose of miralax and I have not gone to the bathroom one time since I began when before on meds I went 1-2 x a day. I drink about 1/4 of the water I put it in and I look 4 mo pregnant and my stomach kills me. My gastric emptying study was 708 minutes. I am ready to scream if I eat I hurt, if I go to liquids I hurt, I'd I eat nothing or drink nothing I hurt. Feels like someone inside my gut wringing out my insides. I also have kidney stones but let me tell u I would rather pass a stone(unless it is blocking something) than have this stupid gastroperisis. Anyone else have a study that high?

I cannot use any of the fiber supplements. When I do I get heartburn and suffer. What I have found to work, by my DR who is an herbalist is Flaxseed. I by the kind that is not ground up, the whole kind. You can find it by the health food section in your market. I use a coffee grinder to grind some and store it in a tupperware bowl. I use 2 tablespoons every day. Start with 1 tablespoon gradually increasing it. You can use more if needed, it won't hurt you and is actually good for you, but do it gradually to see how your body will react to it. If you use this every day you will not be constipated. It has a nutty flavor that is tasty. I put it on my cereal in the morning. You can also use it in salads and on a baked potato etc.
It will lower your cholesterol as well!

Just wanted to mention that if you buy the kind already ground up, it will not work as well. They grind it too much and sometimes take the hull out which is part of the fiber. Do not use this if you have diverticulitis.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders