experience/Triphala?

I'm just wondering what experiences anyone has had with Triphala herb? The amount taken and how it worked? I understand there is question as to the ingredients and how it might affect other medications you take but no details...just a suggestion to take it 2 hrs away from other meds. I take other meds so am concerned about that. I take senna for motility. I just hate it. So if there is something more natural and safe...why not?
Just asking.
Thank you.

5 replies. Join the discussion

That is the hardest thing- trying to coordinate how to take all the meds. I'm not taking calcium just for that reason, can't seem to figure out where to fit it in with everything else. I bought some triphala but haven't used it yet. A lot of people here do, though.
What I'm doing for my colon inertia that really seems to be helping is taking magnesium. A lot of people here get help from Natural Calm. I tried it and it did work when the miralax didn't, but I don't like drinking stuff. So I simply got magnesium capsules at the pharmacy. I take anywhere from 400-650 mg a day and it gets me moving when nothing else will. In fact, I think I inadvertantly doubled up on my dose one day and the next day spent the whole day in the loo. No idea where that stuff came from, must have been backed up to my ears.

I do know that my GI doc wants to know abbot herbal meds as she cks labs every week due to my liver and the fact I am on TPN...so I suggest you keep you doc and or pharmacy informed. Aloha

There is an old post "Triphala vs Reglan" or "Triphala instead of Reglan" where people have had success using Triphala. You can search it. Others have had some success using Magnolia Bark too.

Thank you for responding. I'll wait to hear from those who have tried this other but magnesium..yes I've heard that too. Thanks for your dosage. Senna even though I take Fletchers childrens (less gas/pain/cramp) is still icky...slimy if you will and somewhat crampy. adding a biny bit of fiber helps that but I would rather do something more natural for my body such as this or mag.
Comment about your ears LOL!!! I needed a laugh this afternoon!!! I know what you mean! If I wake up early and get off kelter and have to take double to go next day I experience the same thing :) Makes you think about it! Wow!
Well if you do try it please post. Let me know if you like it better than the mag.
I hate drinks too! For every day it's just not appealing!!
I'll wait to hear some more...then flip a coin and go for it. Tired of medicine!
I've got to find a way to get out of my pain and my poor daughter with gastroparesis. We both suffer. Like everyone here. I'm still going to try to get domperidone but know side effects can happen so want to look for natural things too.
My best to you.
OH and I use a seperate calendar for what I took and how much and the results. Sounds weird but when trying to find out what works you can track it for a few days and alter accordingly to get the best you can get using that product. Also if you eat oddly one day you can note it and see if it affects you. I write small and use shorthand :) It helps.

Got it (bark). Gee you guys know your stuff! And my doc said FIBER. cheesh! I guess it's time I shared with him! :) Well I need to try some things first. Yes and with his blessing. Right..interactions are a concern that I can't forget.
You guys are great! How nice you all stick so close together and help each other.
I'll share once I get experience too.
Lynne

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders