Does miralax give you daily bms?

It so far, for me, hasn't. Last Thursday when I started taking it I did start feeling its effects immediately, but didn't actually have a movement until that day's second dose. Was pretty terrific to have a somewhat normal bowel movement.

I've been taking my twice daily dose since and not until today finally had another movement. Have had a LOT of sounds though. All sorts of gastric symphony. But just that one movement last week and today's. I realize it takes time for the body to adapt and I'm being patient about that. But I'm also disappointed. I thought maybe last week's bm soon as I started on the miralax was just a fluke. I just dunno.

A lot of you take miralax. Do you have daily bowel movements now? How much miralax do you take? And do you take anything alongside?

24 replies. Join the discussion

Didn't work for me. I took it for about five days before I finally had a BM. Continued taking it and had relatively regular but odd BMs- very thin and soft. My doctor said, "It isn't supposed to do that." This was before the dysmotility diagnosis. I finally stopped taking it.
What seems to be really helping me is taking a magnesium supplement. I am taking 250 mg of magnesium with my dinner and it seems to help. When I took 500 I got cramping and pain, although it did work. A lot of people here take Natural Calm, which is magnesium. Supposedly magnesium helps with nerve activity, so I guess it makes sense.

I use a combination of miralax and magnesium which helps most of the time.

I do Miralax every other day (normally), and alternate doses of Colace with Senna (Peri Colace 2 pills one night, 3 the next night. That seems to work most of the time. Although I do go through periods where I still get constipated.

Diana

When I first started taking Myralax it helped some. It no longer helps very much. I continue to take it daily, but also take magnesium citrate if I go too long without a BM. One thing that did help me with the Myralax was when my Dr. told me to begin putting it through my J-Tube. I mix the powder with water then push it into my J-Tube, then flush the tube with clear water. That way I don't have to worry about my stomach not digesting it.

Miralax works for me, but I use three doses a day. I also put it through my J tube. If that doesn't work I try a glycerin supp, and if that doesn't work a dulcolax supp. I was using milk of mag but it was causing me problems with dehydration because it did work, but too well - I even cut the dose way down. So my doctor had me try miralax and that seems to help. It's the pits when you can't poop. My mom told me that i didn't have to go every day, I told her to sstay oout of my bathroom issues. If I don't go I get backaches and my nausea is worst. Around my period I usually have to use the supp, why I don't know. I know if I have anything that has fiber it really clogs me up, which is opposite of what should happen. It's nice to be able to talk openly with people about poop or any of our other strange issues, it helps knowing your not the only one experiencing that problem. I'm glad I have the J tube and don't have to worry about tasting it. Well good luck

I take miralax every morning (in my smoothie). And I take 2 dulcolax everynight + flax seed oil. And I try my best to stick to a liquid diet. When I do stick to liquids I manage to have a BM most mornings. Except if I am in a hurry to get out the door or stressed about anything. I have to completely relax. When I first started the miralax routine it was four times a day. Then I had a couple of accidents and went to 3 times, then 2 times and now it varries from one to two times a day most days. If I don't manage to go in the morning I take a second dose of miralax in the afternoon. Any solid food in any form stops me up for a day to a week depending on what it is. Too many crackers will do it. Or a piece of french bread if I give into a craving. A piece of meat and it will be days before I see any action.

I take it and if I use too much I have an accident and I get so sad. I too get first a firm and then it turns real small and watery and loud and gassy. I have delayed emptying and if I don't do something I wont go for long times. I have to say the best thing for me is multidophilis it is a chewable refridgerated pill and tastse ok to me. I have regular formed movements so try that one if you can I was so happy. If it doesnt work I take some miralax. Good luck.

NancyL- any form of wheat, and any type of beef will do it for me. It stops my digestion cold for some reason. Even without that in my diet I have problems, but if I have so much as a cookie or a bite of steak- I know I'm good for about five days, and then a difficult hard plug. Don't know why it happens. I can eat the same amount of wheat-free bread and chicken or lean pork and not have a problem. But beef and wheat both really do it to me.

Works within two days for me when I remember to take it. I usually don't until about day 4 of no-go. I need to try and take it daily, one a week is like trying to unload a butternut squash, heh. Sorry if that's TMI, heh. I'm in a funny mood today.

I don't think there's any such thing as TMI on this forum, lol.

: )

One dose a day taken late in the afternoon or early evening does it for me. At first it caused diarrhea, but changed as I began to eat more solids. I also take two Colace every evening. I'm really beginning to dislike the part of me that must be focused on what I put in and what passes out!

I was having some issues with accidents at night, the biggest is that I sleep super hard. So I now take laxatives in the morning. I think it also helps because I'm up and about and that gravity helps. When I took it at night it just sat there.

Uberhiker you make me laugh and that is good. Thanks

It usually works for me. I take one dose in the morning. If I dont have one, I will either take a 2nd dose or take ducolax the next day. It is difficult to get it perfect! Sarah

I love it when you are funny!

The flatulence is another thing I'd like to get a handle on. Seems to be far worse with the miralax. There is just nothing lovely about this disease. Okay, we all know we're dealing with some of the human body's least pretty productions. But seriously, can we just get cut a break and not get worse from the very thing that's supposed to make things better?

Thus endeth my bitch for the evening. Back to the crackers and caramels.

I feel so yucky when I take anything by mouth that I'm afraid to take anything. A dose of magnesium, Amitiza, or a couple laxatives gets things churning and makes me feel like I used to feel when I had a stomach flu and would have to run to the bathroom, except now I never have to run to the bathroom, it just stays in there. If I take a high dose (4 tabs or 3-4 teaspoons of magnesium), I will have to run to the bathroom in about 6-7 hours, but the churning and feeling like I need to evaculate before it's really in the rectum is uncomfortable and distracting. If I go that route I take it at bedtime and hope I fall asleep before it starts acting.

But then the last few times I took something, I had to go in the bathroom several times from the time I woke until early afternoon, mostly with the help of enemas to feel completely done. So I end up taking half a day to go anyway. Do you ladies and gentlemen have this unwell feeling while the Miralax, magnesium, laxatives etc are taking effect?

I've pretty much abandoned taking stuff for using multiple enemas over the course of a couple hours, but I'm terribly tired of that. I wish there was something that was gentle (without gas, churning, and a feeling of immenent diaherra when of course there isn't) and hugely effective to take that would result in a one time 30minute visit to the toilet.

Should I take multiple oral stuff in very small doses to just get used to it? When I'm struggling to feel well with the enemas I think I should take something hours before to help get it all in the lower colon for enema removal, but once I finally get to feeling well the thought of taking something that will likely get things churned up again is very unappetizing!!

I truly, truly am tired of this. I'm not envious of my neighbors house, car, or husband, just her colon :(

I know what you mean (about envy). I feel the same way when I see people shoveling in hamburgers and fries or pizza or any other junk food I don't even like that much. Just- the idea of being able to put anything in my mouth without worrying about the end result- must be wonderful.
Laxatives of any kind have always made me feel worse/sicker/more nauseated/more in pain and either they didn't work at all or worked too well. Miralax didn't do much for me, even the "gentle" dulcolax caused me a lot of pain and nausea.
Miracle Cure worked after a couple of days, and now I've started taking magnesium daily supplements.

Well, as long as the mood is kinda light, someone mentioned having gas... heh. I can't say as that's changed any for me as I was known for two things at work when I was a weight lifter still... great strength and... you guessed it... gas. Suppliments and hundreds of grams of protein a day will 'blow you up" in more than one way, heh.

So, the Miralax is really no change in that department for me, lol. I'm a regular life of the party :-)

My motility doctor said a daily dose of Miralax will help with the "fluidity of the gut" so I take my one dose in the morning. I usually only get constipated if I am PMSing or have an obstuction. I guess I'm lucky in that aspect. I have my daily BM's without it but I will do anything to keep things running smoothly after that nasty hospitalization for obstruction. It's just so weird to me to not be able to adjust my diet to compensate for what is or isn't coming out. I'm slow today salad would help....I can't stop going could I just fill up on pasta?.... I was so good at adjusting what I eat, for what I needed. 60 pounds over weight~No prob I lost it 6 months of mild effort. Working 3 jobs, raising 2 kids, and going to school~Eat 4,000 calories a day. Those days are LONG gone!!
Happy poopin' to us all!! LOL

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders