Does gastroparesis have periods of improvement?

I feel like I am improving big time. The past 2 weeks were great. I was able to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack in between. Of course I had a couple of mornings that were not that great, I felt like I had lava in my stomach and pretty bad acid reflux. This is such an improvement because I'm actually not nauseous every minute of my life, the brick in my stomach is gone. I still have a distended stomach that feels rigid to touch, but I am doing much better. Is it possible that gastroparesis has periods in which it dissapears? I feel like I don't have it anymore. My BM's are normal for once in my life. I'm very hungry too, which is very abnormal. I'm known in my family for always refusing food, so now that I'm asking for food it's shocking. So, again my question was "Can gastroparesis improve/vanish for a while and then appear again? Or is it constant?"

P.s. I did make an adjustment in my diet. I eat softer foods but the fact that I eat a lot of it doesn't make sense.

Edited June 28, 2013 at 8:52 am

21 replies. Join the discussion

Yes, I had a J-tube for 11 years and have been off for almost 8 years. Don't give up, be relentless in finding the right doctor and the few foods you can digest.

Absolutely! I still consider myself to have gastroparesis, but I have improved greatly since I was first diagnosed in 2008. My GI dr has no idea why I acquired GP as mine just came on suddenly one day. No prior illnesses. I have to say today I am doing far better and can eat pretty much normally, but that has to do with complete diet overhaul.

Congratulations on feeling better. I would look closely at your new diet and see if you might have eliminated foods that could have made you sicker. For instance by eating softer foods have you eliminated gluten or wheat out of your diet or raw fibrous foods? Perhaps you are not eating as much acidic food or dairy. Are you eating less oily or heavy protein foods that stay in your stomach longer?
I hope your improvement continues.

I have eliminated fruits from my diet completely, the only fruits I've tried were raspberries (I felt like I had a balloon in my stomach after eating them) and strawberries which were okay. I try to avoid dairy because I know it causes C so I stay away from it as much as I can. Greasy foods make me 100% sick, they never fail. Fried fish is the worst, however I can get away with french fries as times. I avoid nuts as well because eating a few makes me really nausous and full. My diet is mainly cooked vegetables, hot soups and lean meats.

The key is :
low fat, low fibre,
little but often,
avoid lactose and acids.
I've had to radically overhaul my diet in the last two years. By removing fats, acid and fibre my stomach swells too and I am always hungry but I've managed to keep the same weight for two years. The more liquids the food the better . Nuts are a no go as they don't get crushed in the stomach .
Well done on your achievement.
We are all different but a healthy diet really helps me.

Sure, it's possible for GP to have periods where it's better, but I suspect that the changes you've made in your diet are more responsible than anything else for the improvement. Stick with the easy to digest foods, staying away from fiber and fat, and you may find your improvement lasts a good long time. Good luck.
Love and Light, Candace

Thank you for the kind words, I will certainly try to stick to this diet.

I get mini "vacations" from my GP. They usually last a few days, sometimes 5 - 6 days. When it happens, I'm really hungry and I have a lot more BMs that are more productive. I have a LOT less nausea after eating -- unless I over-eat in terms of volume which is easy to do when I feel like that. It is soooo hard to keep the volume limited. Things seem to taste so good for a change.

When it first happened, I deliriously thought the GP issues were resolving/going into remission. Then, when things went back to usual, it was quite depressing. I wish I knew why it happens or when it will happen or how long it will last. Now I've gotten used to it and have learned to happily embrace the good when it happens.

One of the hardest things about gastrointestinal issues is that they often seem to cycle through one's system, with no apparent pattern. I can have several really good days where I feel fairly normal and I think, "Wow---I'm getting better." Unfortunately, after a few days the bottom falls out (no pun intended) and I hit a wall where all of the old symptoms return. I'm learning more and more to be grateful for the good days that come, but not to assume that everything is better. This way I'm not devastated when suddenly I'm hit again with tortuous symptoms.

Gordon

I have nervus vagus damage and think I have gastoparese! They did a nissen fundoplication on me! And feeling so sick since 3,5 years now!! Always nausseu dizyy, hihg hartbeat!! Sometimes loosing my stool and other times difficult to get it out look like paralised feelling,
Never hungry but feelling bloated all the time!! I regret my op so so much!!!
This is no life

I do get mini "vacations" from the GI problems. Mostly I eat soft foods and try to make the best food choices for me! Everyone is different but there is hope if you find what works for you. Don't give up! We are all in this together.
Peace and calm tummies to all.

I was diagnosed by my motility GI with borderline GP over more than two years ago. It came on slowly and progressed to where I could only tolerate liquids and lost 40 pounds. Was in and out of the ER for dehydration and one hospital stay for paralytic ileus. Saw a psychiatrist who put me on Remeron for depression and my nausea started to subside after two days. Over several months I gradually progressed to a GP friendly diet and am now eating a low fat, fairly low fiber, no red meat, no raw veggies diet. Weight unfortunately came back on and am now trying to lose 15 pounds. GI doc says I probably had GP brought on by viral infection of the vagus nerve which subsided as a matter of course. No guarantees that it won't recur, but I now have only occasional episodes of nausea that are easily knocked out with a Zofran/Ativan combo. I am so grateful that my symptoms almost vanished and my GI diagnosis is now IBS-C. GI insisted on my taking Miralax on a daily basis, but that was too unpredictable and I now use Magnesium Oxide gel caps to keep things moving along.

Xan: Do you still take the Remeron? I used Remeron as a pro-kinetic for quite a few months, it worked fairly well at allowing me to eat, in fact I escaped a feeding tube while taking Remeron. It also helped with reducing nausea. It also increased my appetite and I would eat too much causing GP problems. It does certainly cause weight gain. I later switched to Domperidone because of Remeron side effects, also, it didn't help with my depression. That's because I'm bipolar II needing an anti-psychotic med. pam

My gastroparesis was caused from diabetes and my vagus nerve is extremely damaged. I just work on what I eat. It does get me down and sometimes I can't leave the house for days (thank God I am now retired, disabled (other medical issues too) but I feel alone quite often because when people see me doing okay (they think); they assume I am fine. I don't make plans often and I am lucky my husband is understanding since he has gone through years of this with me. My doc says it will not ever get better...sees no cure and supports my making good diet choices and trying to take advantage of the good times when I am not nauseaus. Does anyone else have problems resulting from diabetes?

I am happy to hear some of you say you have good periods of time where you feel almost normal. I think it all depends on what you eat, that you keep moving and just keep believing that a better time will come! I am so happy to have found this site because I am new here and before this NO ONE got it, you know what I mean? They would say, just go to the beach with us and you will feel better. This is when I am vomiting for hours. Now I try to stop it before it goes on too long with meds but friends and even family just do not get it. I am proud to see so many positive writings here. Thank you. It helps hearing that others are turning the negative into a positive as often as they can but please no rainbows...this is hard and we do have the right to vent to each other. I went through a 2 month period of eating anything I wanted (except meat) and gained so much weight but at least I had that time. So, people who were around me thought that I am not really sick. Those people are just not in my life anymore. I try to be positive but hey, all of us have bad days. All I can say to those who are going through a really bad time...vent, and then remember that you may very well have a better time soon. You have the right to be bummed especially if people around you are not supportive. Find the people that love you for you not how you feel. I am sending good thoughts and hope to all of you!!

Yes, Pam I am still taking Remeron and it's working for the depression and the nausea. I had also taken Domperidone for a year but gradually weaned myself off of it when I had questionable QT cardiac issues.
Xan

Dr. at mayo said it can come and go and just disappear one day...episodes, good days/bad...etc...kind of seems like a cycle of sorts.

Many people have written that they stay away from diary products but I eat Chobani yogurt everyday and it seems to help me. I suppose we all have to figure out what works the best for each of us. I eat very little meat and never red meat. I try to get my protein in other things. I really don't get the whole gluten thing but it seems to be the "trend" right now with all types of people and not just people like us. My dietician actually added so many things on my "should eat" list and many of them do not work. I can not tolerate very solid foods, like steak or even vegetables that are cooked al dente like I prefer them and I have to be very careful about salads. What kind of foods do people who are not on feeding tubes yet eat? I make smoothies too and am getting use to having green smoothies more often. At first, kale and lettuce in a drink sounded disgusting but after awhile; I am learning how to mix in some fruits...usually good frozen fruits I buy from Schwans since they are so much better then the ones I find at the grocery store. Trader Joes also has great frozen veggies and fruits with good quality and taste. Anyone have any suggestions on what you can eat? I am hoping if I can keep my glucose numbers under control and eat mostly soft foods, then I can avoid the surgeries a bit longer.

I also have found Chobani greek yogurt agreeable. In the summer my GP is the worst so I eat snowballs a favorite
where I live, and Italian ices.
I find that any "food" I try besides yogurt, baby food = makes my stomach make loud noises for an hour.

My gastrointestinal physician told me that in younger patients it is possible that gastroparesis can actually go away completely, but in my case at 61 years of age it is not likely.

I am 5'6' and weight 113-115 lbs. I eat small portions of food. I was told to stay away from fats, uncooked vegies and fruits. I was told that anything lean is good. So basically I am on a diet.

Lean cusine dinners work for me so I have one for lunch. Breakfast is usually instant oatmeal and at night I don't eat a meal. I might just have a skinny cow ice cream and a cookie.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders