Does gastroparesis get worse as you get older?

I am new here and I am 21, I was diagnosed with moderate gastroparesis at the age of 20. I surprisingly don't get nauseous or vomit, but I do spit up this white foamy liquid. I have server pain at times (I have IBS too). I am on a restricted diet, but I can handle some whole foods. But I am scared it's going to get worse...does anyone know if gastroparesis gets worse as you get older or do your symptoms usually stay the same?

8 replies. Join the discussion

I don't think GP necessarily gets better or worse based on age. I have even read of a few people who actually improved when they got older...however, I"ve only heard of a few. I have had it for about 10 years now...mine seems to be more of a case of what I call "flares". I may go through a period where things aren't as bad...and then suddenly have a rough patch. Fortunately, then eventually things will improve again for awhile.
Depending on the cause of your GP, some doctors say their is a possibilty of complete recovery too.
So, as with everything else with this condition...there isn't really any definite answers but...
I hope that you are one of the lucky ones who have complete recovery...but until then, continue posting your questions and concerns because someone on here can probably answer you.
Judy

It is very hard to predict the course of gastroparesis for each person. This is partly due to the uniqueness of each person but also because gastroparesis can be caused by so many different factors and may or may not be interacting with other conditions. Some do get better as time goes by with treatment. Some stay about the same or go through periods of ups and down. Some also do get worse. However, I believe that there can be hope in any situation. I was one of those who did get progressively worse such that my entire digestive tract stopped working like it should and I ended up completely dependent on TPN which was damaging my liver. My doctors had almost given up hope on me and said I was coming closer to death, but some of the doctors who kept seeing me in the hospital because of my constant central line infections mentioned that as a last resort I should look into getting a transplant. After research and much testing and preparation, I ended up receiving a six organ transplant (pancreas, liver, spleen, liver, small and large intestine) which gave me a new chance at life for which I am ever grateful. Although I still have some problems, I am much better off than I was before. I tell you this not to scare you into thinking that you might need a transplant one day as I was one of the rarer cases, but I just wanted to share with you an instance in which everything seemed to be blocking out any chance of hope, and yet hope still prevailed as I am alive today about three and a half years after the transplant. So no matter what you go through, please do not give up hope that it might get better. Besides, no matter what you can be sure that you can always find support here and a shoulder to lean on. I will be sure to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope that your doctors can help you find ways to feel better. Many hugs.

Warm regards,
Bobbiejo

Thank you so much for your replies!! I am so happy I have found this website, it really gives me the support I can't reach from others because they don't understand what I am going through. And Bobbiejo I am amazed at your story and it really does give me hope about all the digestive problems out there. I am so happy you were able to recover and given another chance at life! This really shows how much digestion can have an effect on our lives but you can pull through almost anything with the right help.

I agree that every case is unique. My nephew had GP as a baby after having a respiratory virus. He's much better now. I've had it for 3 years now and mine has continued to worsen. My colon now does not work at all and my small intestine is progressively worsening. My doctor does not think my GP will ever get better so I'm totally dependent on artificial nutrition. But I've heard that often when the GP is related to a virus, there is hope that it will improve. Never give up!

Mimi

Hi Bobbyjo, I just want to tell you that you are an amazing and inspirational woman to all of us. Thank you so very much for sharing your story.
lori

Thanks everyone for your sweet thoughts. I just wish I could do more for those who are suffering so much now. My heart aches to hear of each one's story. Just know that I am keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers, and I continue hoping that for everyone new reasons for hope will brighten their days and better health will come. I am so glad of the support and kindness demonstrated here. It always uplifts me, and I give abundant thanks to everyone for it.

Warm regards,
Bobbiejo

Jajera,
As it has been said before, each of us is so different that what happens to one person over time is totally unique to that person. I have been on a life long quest for happiness. I was raised in a very unhappy home and have spent the last 50 years studying who was happy and who wasn't and why. Happiness can be found in people who have very little to be happy about. And there can be someone who has everything- great health, great wealth, great family and great friends, and a great job and that person can still be unhappy. The biggest trick I learned was to focus on what is going right today and not to spend one minute worrying about what could go wrong tomorrow. A happy person believes that things will get better- if not tomottow then the next day. I say this not to be trite, or dismiss you worries or fears. But to let you know you have a choice in where you focus your thoughts. I have also found first hand the more I worry over things, the worse I feel physically. And stress does seem to increase the GP. I believe advances in medicine will be found to help all of us here before too long.

hey my name is joanne and i was dx with gp last july and i was reading some of the replies to your question "does gp get worse with age? well for me im not sure if it gets worse with age, for me its just good days and bad days. i haven't been able to fully pin point what makes a good day and a bad day, i just know that i am ready for both. when i say ready for both i mean trying to have small meals and snacks on good days and puree canned fruits, very soft foods and ensures on the bad days.just almost the same as you i get a lot of pain especially if i eat something to much or wrong and it gets so worse that my husband can't even touch my stomach. i don't really vomit but i do get nauseated especially if i don't walk after measl or i don't take my donperidone before meals, its a medication that i take as i need it but i have noticed that i need to take it a little more theese days. i feel for you when you say that you are scared if the symptoms get worse, i think that we all are scared cause were dealing with a stomach issuse that we don't fully have control over and it's effecting our lives i mean it would be nice to be able to enjoy our selfs and not have to worry from day to day if this is a good day or a bad day. this whole condition to me is scaring me for another reason, me and my husband were supposed to start having children late last year and now because i have gp i am so afraid to take that chance, 4 of my doctors say that they have no problem to get pregnant but what they tell me is not exactly comforting to what my body feels. i am really glad that you aske to question that you did and that i got to read the other replies its nice to know that im not the only one out there and that there are people out there willing and wanting to support you and others in rough times. I wish you well and if you would like to chat more just reply, i will be here.
thanks
joanne

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders