Does anyone spit up white foam?

Sometimes I spit up food. But sometimes I only spit up white foam like substance with GP. Does this happen to anyone else? Or does anyone know what this is? Because when I ask doctors they just look at me funny. And when I tried to look it up on the internet all I found was dogs and cats spitting up foam, not humans....It just freaks me out more than the food coming up.

10 replies. Join the discussion

I sometimes spit up a foamy substance. If I've just taken a pill, the foam might even be colored from the dye in the medication. Once it was orange.

My doctor said it is nothing to be concerned about. That can happen when you haven't eaten in a while and the stomach is empty. The foam supposedly is just bile and stomach acid interacting.
Nolagirl

This has happened to me before in the past. For me, I think it relates to my acid reflux trouble that I have had for a long time. If it had been awhile since I had eaten, instead of food, just froth might come up. I especially noticed this before my acid reflux got worse more than 15 years ago (as when it got worse I began to reflux food too). The white foam might be the saliva and fluids from the mouth just recently swallowed. Is it ever acidic, the foam? I think that I have such a problem with reflux because my esophagus has almost no persistalsis, meaning that it hardly ever contracts to push food through, as shown through a manometry test. May you find the answers you are seeking. Best of wishes.

Warm regards,
Bobbiejo

When I spit white foam it's usually a sign of candida albicans. The gastro docs don't have a clue about this. Try seeing a naturalpath or another practitioner in the field of alternative or integrative medicine.

I have spit up foam. I physically cannot vomit. Some would think that would be good....but when I eat, I ALWAYS get nauseaous and get severe pain and I would love to be able to vomit and get the food out of my stomach and maybe get some relief. But unfortunately I literally cannot vomit and the flood just stays in my stomach, doesn't digest and I have to take phenergan through my groshong line to get any relief. If I don't take the phenergan I will have dry heaves....it will go on and on until I am spitting out foam and sometimes it is pink/red because I have been heaving for so long I am bursting blood vessels in my throat. I have not been able to vomit since Oct. 2003. Who would ever think a person would give anything to be able to vomit again? I've had my wrap taken down but still can't vomit. So, while I am not a physician, I don't think the foam is another isolated problem but is related to your inability to vomit out food.

Hi,

I bring up foam from time to time also. I would think it has nothing to do with the stomach because I don't have a stomach at all. Maybe it is something the intestines are producing, not sure but because I have no stomach, I don't think the tummy is the cause. Just my two cents there.

I sometimes vomit up white foam too. I agree with Bobbiejo and think it might be due to reflux. But usually it starts with foam and then turns into bile if I continue to vomit. I also have reflux from my intestines to my stomach so that's why the bile comes up.

Mimi

Hi Sharon,

I noticed in your reply about white foam that you don't have a stomach. I have a disease in my stomach and virtually no mucosal lining left. It has made my life miserable with alot of complications and no help from the GI doctors. It's an autoimmune disease and I can't produce any stomach acid.
I don't mean do be nosy, but could you tell me how your getting along w/o a stomach? Do you have any complications? What caused the removal of your stomach?

HI,

NO problem. In 2004 I had a gastric bypass, this was what I believe started my problems. My stomach was not working and no medications would make it work. I was absolutely not a candidate for the pacemaker. The up side is I am alive, and most likely would not be if I did not have that surgery in June of 08. Down side is, yes I have many complications. It is not a solution to a disease or problem, having your stomach removed is more a life saving solution.

I have cramping, pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (this was dibilitating and still is at times), malabsorbtion, low sugar, high sugar, blood in stool and vomit it sometimes, I can not eat well enough to keep nutrition up so do supplements etc. For me, I would do the surgery again because it saved my life but the only way I would have it done is if I was going to die without it.

It solves one set of probems but opens up a whole new set. BTW it is a major major surgery, so if you opt for that, or your doctor does, be very informed. You will be "out" of commission for anywhere from 1 year to the rest of your life.

I think some people have an easier time with the surgery than I did, I dont' know. I would talk talk talk and explore explore explore, before you decide anything like that or let your doctor decide something like that. Guess what I am saying is I had no choice if I wanted to live, and if that is your option go for it, if not then I would really slow down and consider the complications and life altering ramifications.

Hi Sharon,

Sorry you had such a problem and have to live with all these complications. Like you said, atleast you're alive. I have a stomach but the mucosa is severely damaged. I'm not contemplating surgery at this time. They don't do surgery for this type of a condition unless it were to turn cancerous. However, it has really changed my life big time with many complications. Thanks for the info and I hope some of your complications will be resolved. Good luck!

My daughter is on a GJ tube (fed into the small intestine) and almost always brings up white foam when she heaves almost never actually brings up the pedisure.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders