Colonic Inertia and Liquid Diet

Has anyone out there with colonic inertia ever tried a liquid diet? And if so, did you notice a big difference? I have been thinking about trying it -- although the thought of giving up chewing! and the fear of losing more weight -- makes me leary. But if it would make a major difference it just might be worth the tradeoff. I figure you'd have to try it for at least a week -- or until you're cleaned out -- to really know anything. Anyone?

12 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Dipper,
I have colon inertia and the liquid diet is what made all the difference for me. I could not pass solid food so I constantly had severe stomach aches and lost a ton of weight in the beginning. Once I went to a liquid diet (after reading about it here) I started to gain my weight back. Now I am 20 pounds over my normal weight which is more than I would like in an ideal world. But I am feeling much better. Breakfast is a soy protien powder, frozen strawberry, pineapple juice and miralax smoothie. Next time I am hungry I have a V8 or a slimfast. I will also have various soups that I strain before consuming. Occassionally I have a milkshake. I take four gummy vitamins everyday and 3 gummy calcium. On good days I can eat 1/2 cup cornflakes or fruit flavored cheerios or 6 saltine crackers. Snacks are jello instant puddings or jello. In the begining it was not hard to stick to because everything solid caused such misery. Now I am totally bored with everything besides the smoothie and am prone to cheat (eat solids) with horrible results. I have managed to avoid the foods that make me the sickest for the longest period of time. But I will hit the ccrackers hard or chow on cookies and then be miserable for a few days to a week or longer. I am currently still messed up from salt water taffy I ate on the 21st of June!

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for responding. (Love your dog.) Hard to believe you gained weight on THAT diet! I have also lost a lot of weight. So you get by without the nutrient supplement? I was hoping just the liquids would make a major difference in the cramping and stomach pain, which you said it does. The good news! And you cheat and pay for it...the bad news. I am not good in the "self control" category. I can't imagine never eating cookies again! But if it would give me even half a life back. Weird question but we're on here so -- do you go to the bathroom at all when you don't eat solids? And I'm thinking I have a big birthday dinner in a week so I wouldn't start til after that but how do you handle stuff like that? I believe I will be like you, if it really helps it will be SOOO worth it in the beginning. After a while when I see everyone else eating it will be SOOO difficult not to join in a bit. Salt water taffy -- 3 weeks -- oh man!

Again, thank you so much for responding.

Hey Nancy,

It's me again! I am not great on the computer and don't know how to post what I wrote so it shows up on the visual section when you open the e-mail. Was hoping for more responses and wonder if that's why I'm not getting them. Can you tell me how to do that by any chance? Thanks -- and sorry...

Hi Dipper,
I saw your post just fine. I am also surprised you have not had more responses. I think perhaps because you posted with colon inertia. People here have all kinds of GI issues. The marjority of the posters have GP. Then another group has CIPO. It's seems to be a smaller(or less vocal) group with colon inertia. I have been told had I have CIPO, GP and that my colon is paralyzed and works by gravity alone. I am starting to think I may not have GP just because it seems like the majority of people with GP vommit frequently. In the begining I vommited suddenly and without warning but I believe it was food/liquids that did not make it all the way into the stomach. Now I can't throw up to save my life. I believe that is because of the nissen proceedure I had as part of a larger surgery.
Now for the particulars of the liquid diet and how I process the "food". When I am able to go I have diarrhea. Diarrhea is a blessing for me when it happens. Otherwise I am misrable like I am now. I believe that I have gained back all the weight I have lost because of two things. I went almost a year without eating almost at all. That year I lost a ton of weight but I think it permanetly slowed my metabolism. After that I frequently had times when I could not eat for days because of feeling so awful from something I ate. Until I went on liquids and stopped feeling horrible and started to eat regularly. I did eat milk chocolate alot when I was really skinny. My body tolerated it well because it melted immediately in my mouth and my stomach didn't seem to realize it was food. The second reason is that I am often imobile on account of not feeling great. So my activity level is not really high most of the time. I cannot eat most foods considered healthy by the general population so my diet is kind of high in sugar and bad carbs. I did not start to feel better until I learned to listen to my body and go by what made me feel better or worse.

Yeah, the majority of people seem to have GP. I assume you've been tested every which way to find out exactly what you do have?

Funny, but it seems to me the year hardly eating would almost be like a liquid diet, i.e. almost no solids. Yet you didn't feel better then? I am also very immobile, same reason. SO BORING! I feel like I'm not living, just existing -- and miserably at that. Also different, I have trouble with milk chocolate. Had to switch to dark. My diet is also high in sugar, always was. But frankly I find that other than several foods (milk chocolate, fruit skins, grease, and a few other things) I don't notice a difference in how I feel by what I eat. While NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT, I think I have to try the no solid route to see if it makes a big difference for me. I'm in year 6 of this and am really having trouble dealing anymore.

I thank you so much for your time and response. Stay in touch -- if you want.

The year of almost no eating happened when I got sick. I went from a very healthy diet and lifestyle to barely getting through the day. I used to get alot of exercise and lived on salads, streamed veggies and fresh fruit. Then I fell off a horse and ruptured my diaphram. My stomach and intestines went up into my chest and collasped my lung. My colon was up under my colar bone. It did not happen suddenly but over a period of a few months. Anytime I ate I had heart attack like chest pain. Came to find out that my stomach was resting against my heart and would put pressure on it when it was full. My brother was dying at the time and I was working full time and did not have time to worry about me as I was his caregiver. I ignored the pain until I couldn't stand it any longer and ended up in the emergency room. The doctors and surgeons (it was a well known heart hospital) all said I would die without surgery and they did not do the surgery I needed. I had to go to MIami to have the chief of thorasic surgery operate on me. This surgeon mostly operated on extremely ill cancer patients and I had to wait a couple of weeks for the surgery knowing that I could take a turn for the worst and die anytime before he got around to me. I had been a very strong yoga (deep slow abdominal breaths) breather and that is probably what kept me alive. I ened up with hundreds of stiches inside and out. I lived on yogurt and granola bars. Very small amounts and not everyday.

What a horrible story! I'm so sorry. First for your accident and all its repercussions and secondly about your brother. It's no wonder you have problems! Mine started out of nowhere -- although my gut feeling is it's from an antidepressant I started taking. I really have trouble with them, have never found one that didn't give me physical problems (with no emotional help) and I think one of them did this. I believe I had it laying dormant and this started it up. A couple of doctors have said I may be right, that they work on the same receptors.

Funny? ironic! I also had a collapsed lung. When I was 19. Got stabbed in the back at a train station.

Unlike you I can't say I've lived a healthy lifestyle. Ever. And yet I was healthy, lucky. The fact that I do the treadmill every day now (except for the days I absolutely can't) is as good a claim to fame for a healthy lifestyle I'll ever have!

And life turns on a dime...

Hey Wendy,

Thanks for the info. And it's so wonderful how much better you're doing! I hope it goes on forever! And I hope it will also give me some relief. Thanks again.

hey...I have colon inertia and I do liquids...I had a gastrectomy due to gp, so i can't do anything that milk based...so I basically live on tea...soups that are non milked based and crackers....oh and i do eat a slice of cheese too
I chew and spit a lot...and it helps :) gross, but damn sometimes you just want to taste a hamburger :)

Hey Happygolucky,

Thanks for sharing. This diet sounds so exciting! Ugh. The chewing and spitting is a good idea. At least you get to chew. I will be longing for cookies. Question, how do you get your nutrition?

And P.S. Have you found it really helps you?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders