Can gastroparesis get worse?

I plan to ask this question in my next visit at the end of May. It has not occured to me to ask the question in the past year since my formal dx on 3/16/11. Yes, it was my first anniversay with the GP label last Friday! I guess it did not come to me was because it was pretty stable in the past year. I finally feel it getting worse recently! It feels like I am not even passing liquid very well, not to mention my pureed diet. I started (pretty much) a full liquid diet last week. It does not seem to work that well. I feel bloated from just drinking my morning tea with milk. I don't even need lunch after my morning snack of a few pieces of crackers and caramel. Now my stomach is so big and I feel like it's going to explode. I thought about calling my NP for help...but what can I expect him to be able to do anyway? Anyway, just want to hear your experience in the mean time. Any information is greatly appreciated.

11 replies. Join the discussion

GP can certainly get worse. However, because of slowed motility people with gp often get bacterial overgrowth.
this creates a lot more gas, pain, bloating and slows down motiltiy even more.
Xifaxin is used to treat bacterial overgrowth. It's certainly worth asking your Dr about.
good luck! hope you feel better.
Take care,
jo

Yes GP can get worse mine certainly has. I've been diagnosed about 13 years and at that ti me all I had was pain that would wake me up at night. Now I have pain 24/7 and I use fentanyl pain patches. I'm now sick everyday and hardly ever feelo good enough to go out of the house. I have a g-tub for venting and for liquid meals when I'm to sick to eat. But my stomach doesn't even like liquid meals any more. I'm sorry to hear you are having more problems. Remember we are always here for you.

Your Friend
JoAnna

Unfortunately, mine has gotten worse too. I was diagnosed with GP in 2004. By 2006, I had CIPO. By 2008, my entire GI tract was involved. I think it is really dependent upon the cause (if you can get one). They seem to think mine is caused by a strain of the polio virus in combination with a compromised immune system.

I hope you get some answers soon!

Hugs,
Mare

The reason why I finally start to have a little more desire to call my NP is because I think I feel my intestines are slower than before. Things don't seem to move as fast as before... My guts did a fascinating job in the past regardless what my stomach did. They kicked things out as soon as they left my stomach. That's why I had diarrhea all the time. My GI doc said it was because my stomach could not handle the food that I ate and just said "forget it!" and dump everything out... Now I am afraid to call and being told things that I am not ready to hear...

I'm so glad you're going to see your NP. Your symptoms may be due to just overgrowth, which xifaxin will help.
Hang in there and try to worry, if you can.
Take care,
Jo

Hi, when I had my second lot of emptying studies, they looked at how long it took for solids and liquids to be digested. i also had the colonoc transit studies that followed the radioactive meal for 5 days after I had eaten it. The results showed that my stomach actually had more trouble with liquids than solids, though both were very abnormal. It also showed that my colon wasnt working either. maybe you could ask for these scans too. It meant the Drs knew that an oral liquid diet was not right for me, though had they asked I would have told them I had worked that out months ago! So I have a jejunostomy for feeding, though sadly my colon still isnt working well and this may force me to have TPN as they are just compounding the colon problem by pumping fluids into a dead end so to speak. But i have to wait for them to work that out! Diarrhea can also be from "overflow" where you are very blocked up and only liquids can get past - the diarrhea, I know as I have been getting that too and thinking I was taking too much laxative until a recent scan showed i was chockers.
All the best.
Sal

Yes it can get alot worse i have bn diagnosed sincthe age of 21 wish was 7 yrsagoa and at firt ppl kept saying it was all in my hea. I have troed everything over years. From evry me u can think of ive had it. Had boto in stomch ad temporary pacemaker trial twic which was unsusceaaful so doubt ill get pernament one. I havgot a peg tu with jejunal extension as my stomach hasnt bnable o tolerte anything for over yer and went from 8 stone to under 5 so. Mbody was weK and was getting malnourished and my organ were f ailingso i was admitted as mergency case before my body shut down ad was gonna end up dying . Jt cant belive how muhmy life suck right now as im so young an have 3 young children an just think life is so unfair . Im still not very well an jut cant seem to see any light at end of tunnel for rest of life. Im getting fed into the small bowel as stomch cant tolere anything at all. Its terrible illness to have Nd it takes over your whollife. But it depends how sever u have it. People on this site ae helpe me so much as i not long joined myself and met so many lovely people to talk to andthey have made me realise thts im not only person on wod that feels lik this or thats going through this as i felt so alone and isolated and juat none of my family or froends understood how i felt. I nt hve any life at all now anhve lost alot of friend theough this . But you can just try your hadest and do whatever it takea to get by everyday. And if u ever need a frien then u have com to te correct placas theres always a friend on here for u xx hope u gt on ok and defo spk to doc. Sorry about spelling on some of this as am trying to use my touchscreen phone and its quite hard sometimes lol xx kp in touch and all the best xx

I would try probiotics first. you can get them over the counter. I get Florastor. I take antibiotics daily and this type works with antibiotics, some don't. This is the safest first step while you wait to talk to your doc. It is for bacterial overgrowth. My symptoms were similar and it worked for me.

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I do feel things slower than a year ago both with my stomach and my intestines. I wanted to make sure it was not in my head because I never had the feeling of my guts moving slow. It was the opposite in the past. I could eat something in the morning and things already came out by the evening. Now all of a sudden I saw things that was eaten a couple days ago. By the way, I guess seaweed could be indigestible because I was having miso soup with seaweed for dinner in the past ten days. That was the indicator. While it took so many days for it to show up, it all of a sudden disappear even I was still eating it. Plus my tummy was so big and bloated...I started wondering where things were... One thing I know about human track is chronic diarrhea does not have to mean a cleansing process. Things actually don't have to come out when there is a constant flushing. One good news is today I finally felt a little cleaner after being on a liquid diet for ten days. I cheated on some mac n cheese earlier and it was a huge mistake! I had to take a phenergan right away to keep things down... Lesson for the day - no cheating on a liquid diet during a flare! ^_^ But I did finally picked up the phone to leave a vm to the NP today...

Yeah, I am about at my one year anniversary. I have Idiopathic Gastroparesis, and can see it running many years back. But it worsened about 3 years ago, then again about 20 months ago, and was diagnosed about 11 months ago. I'm not gloomy about the future prospects, but it certainly is slightly concerning.

I have not had much pain with my GP that I attribute directly to it. Some related pains with gastritis/GERD which seem to be due mainly to the GP. Some people seem to have a lot of pain from it. I have pain from other things, so I definitely hope I will be spared that. The nausea, appetite consequences associated malaise have been enough... oh, and the weight loss. That seemed to 'remove padding' and contribute to me developing some nerve problems in my arms...

So yes, it can get worse. It gets better too at times. I feel like the best defense is to have a list of options that help, so that you can 'pounce on a problem when it develops'... though nothing with GP seems as dynamic as that expression may suggest.

I'm glad you have a call in. I hope you start to feel better soon.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders