BOTOX INJECTIONS???

I was at work this week when one of my employees called and told me she was on the way to the ER with her Mother. Turns out her Mother has GP and couldn't keep anything down and needed IV nutrition. As we continued to talk, my employee told me that her Mother had been to a University Hospital and the gastro had done a Botox injection during an EGD. Said her mother has had two more since then, and after the injections, she seems to feel a lot better and is able to eat more of a variety of food. I just have never heard of this. Does anyone know anything about the BOTOX INJECTIONS with GP?

7 replies. Join the discussion

I've read that it works for some and not for others. You don't know until you try.
Liz

I have heard others discuss them and how they helped but I do understand the mechanics of it other than it may keep one from throwing up.

Yes I have heard of it. My doctor wanted to give me the Botox injection - it is supposed to help your stomach empty somehow. Maybe it relaxes the muscle? I forget. I know that it is still experimental, though, so I declined the offer. Also, it only lasts for a few months - then you need another shot. I didn't care for that idea!

My daughter had botox at the mayo in az.. She has gastro paresis with severe nausea. After a few days, she was nearly back to normal other than for the restricted diet. Two months later she started to get nausea again. We went to get a second set of shots but a different doctor did them in a different location with no results at all. The head of the GI unit said only two of the doctors got consistent results and unfortunately we didn't get either one of them. Mayo passed us onto virginia mason in seattle. We still want to do a third shot as you have the best results from them and they are the least intrusive solution. After the botox then we go to the electro stimulator. pat

Thank you for the information. I will mention it to my GI when I see him next. Sounds like if you get the right doc, it's worth the try. Anything at this point is worth the try!

I think if you click on my name you can read my posts about botox injections, I have GP and achalasia...been getting botox for about 2 years now, every 4 to 5 months...really helps me. Rose

I had botox injected into the pylorus last summer and my GES showed my stomach emptied faster than it did prior to the injections. Everyone's different, so what works for one person may not work for another, but I would certainly give it a try!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders