Boost/Ensure = sick sick sick!

Anyone else unable to tolerate boost or ensure?

I was getting sick/bloated off of the ensure so I switched to boost. I was doing okay with the boost, except I would get nauseous anytime I drank one.

Well today I knew I was going to be doing some work outside so I drank 2 boosts (this was several hours ago), knowing that I would need the extra energy. BIG MISTAKE. I just spent the last hour throwing up- my stomach does not know how to throw up so it was like burping/spitting up boost. I even had it come up through my nose. Disgusting.

This is despite taking Ondansetron.

I'm still bloated huge and now worried about getting dehydrated. I'm thirsty but I'm afraid if I drink I'll feel even worse.

I swear I'm never drinking that stuff again. I just started a new course of antibiotics a few days ago for bacterial overgrowth. I think the boost just undid whatever good those antibiotics did for me.

The funny thing is I ate pizza yesterday and was fine- even slept through the night last night. The day before that I had mac n cheese, and was fine. I don't get it. Why can I eat pizza and be okay but boost makes me super sick? All I can think is that it causes major bacterial overgrowth. Either that or I'm intolerant to something they put in it. I get nauseous immediately after drinking it, yet I can eat pizza or shrimp with no nausea at all.

It doesn't make sense. Maybe the product had gone bad?

26 replies. Join the discussion

Ensure and Boost, although marketed as nutritious, are both laden with high fructose corn syrup, artificial preservatives, and highly processed. Every nutritionist I have seen in consultation has recommended other than either of these.

If you need a nutritional supplement, a package of Carnation Instant Breakfast added with fresh milk is a better alternative - more "nature," less processed and with less chemical additives. Or, make a smoothie with blended yogurt (or Keifer), fruit juice, frozen berries and a dash of protein powder. The probiotics of the yogurt/Keifer provided "good" bacteria to the GI tract.
- Karen -

I doubt the product had gone bad- I can guarantee that if I drink one of those shakes I will vomit every last drop of it. I can drink milkshakes in small amounts, and recently even had a strawberry Julius and did fine, but any of those commercial preparations set me off.

I am jealous that you can eat pizza- one small piece and I am miserable!

Sallie

Horrible stuff! I would stay away from both. I use a plant based protein powder called Chocolate Amazing Meal mixed with Lactose free milk, coconut milk, or rice milk. Whichever you can tolerate. Sometimes I add 1/2 serving of carnation instant breakfast for xtra calories. Much more healthier combo than the ensure.

They made me feel awful, and like others mention, filled with terrible ingredients.

I also make smoothies using combos of protein powder, almond milk, kefir and GP friendly fruits. Sipped slowly they go down ok. A better alternative drink is Orgain made with organic ingredients, lots of protein and small amount of natural sugars.

I'm so jealous of pizza! Sometimes solids are much more tolerable for some people though. I do best with a combo of solids and liquids throughout the day. Nothing made me more sick than Ensure.

I can't drink either one, - well I never tried ensure, just the smell made me ill! (plus, patients used to spit it at me:)
Others have talked about the junk they contain.
I'm pretty impressed with the pizza!

I can't tolerate boost either & I don't have GP, just chronic pancreatitis. Plus, I have experiences like TBO with ensure...had too many patients puke up ensure on me to ever be able to actually drink the stuff!! The smell is enough for me to doubt it would stay down. I'm still in search of something liquid with LOTS of protein yet is still palatable!!

Sandy

If you find something Sandy let me know. I haven't found anything either.
I never blamed patients for spitting ensure at me, I would do it too! just the smell would turn my stomach!
I used to mix in ice cream for them to make it more palatable, even then it was still bad.

The search continues! TBO & everyone I'll let you know if I find anything, especially palatable!!

Sandy

The poster "wasnflwr" above commented on a nutritional drink called "OrGain." It is amazingly good. I recommend it as well.

"OrGain" was developed by a physician who was himself ill with cancer and undergoing therapy. He created the nutritional supplement to fill a void that was missing in the market - an organic, all natural, food-based nutritional supplement.

"OrGain" lists as ingredients only organic foods - pureeded and blended together into a drink. It is delicious, tasty, more than palatable - available in vanilla and chocolate. Amazon.com carries "OrGain" as does Whole Foods Market. You can also purchase it on-line if you google "OrGain" and go to the home website. The cost is about $2 for an 8 oz drink carton. More expensive than Boost/Ensure but well worth it.
- Karen -

Thanks so much!!! Seems like something worth trying.

I have been drinking Orgain as well, it is actually pretty tasty. One thing to note, however, is that Orgain has lactose and I have some lactose intolerance so I only drink it with a Lactaid pill. I have found another protein drink at the Vitamin Shoppe and online that seems pretty healthy when compared to Boost/Ensure. It's called Mix1 All Natural Protein shakes. It has a whey base, but is lactose free so it might be a better bet if you have problems with dairy. The come in chocolate, vanilla, blueberry vanilla, mixed berry, mango, and a few other flavors. I am pretty partial to the blueberry vanilla. Plus, they are a little cheaper than the Orgain.

I think I am just going to stay away from those nutritional drinks altogether. I went and checked the date on them, and it turns out they were outdated. I had just bought them from the store too, so apparently they were either almost outdated or outdated when I bought them.

I actually managed to eat 4 banana muffins last night which didn't seem to bother me, and I had a small brkfst this morning so it had to have been the boost.

I guess I will just stick to greek yogurt and gel cap liquid vitamins. Stonyfield has excellent organic smoothies. I highly recommend them. Dannon Activia greek yogurt is really good as well.

Keifer is a little bit too strong for me. I thought it sort of tasted bitter. Even adding milk couldn't disguise the flavor.

When I first started with my gp they tried to get me to use boost. I thought maybe it was just that one drink and we ended up trying all sorts of things like that. I couldn't take it at all!! It made me nauseous almost instantly.

Boathouse smooties and juice mixtures work really well for me and they are gluten free, draiy free and I have celiac disease with gp and these work really well for me. Green Godness really seems to provide energy and seems to replenish when I am having a bad time. Hope this helps

I have GP and motility issues head to tail and can not drink ANY protein/energy drink...not even orgain and especially the powder. I asked my GI doc about that yesterday....he just shook his head and said "nope, people w GP and others similar to your condition will not be able to tolerate those drinks...they are very hard for GP to break down(so are items heavy amino acids)...for one reason...because it is so hard to break down, it forces the stomach to create massive amounts of acid (and for some...bile)." (not exact but close to verbatim) He said if trying ANY protein drinks...soy protein and hemp protein might be easier. Again, I have tried countless powders, orgain, boost, ensure, one from trader joes and one from mothers market...EACH ONE makes me absolutely miserable and SOO. sick! Isn't it incredibly frustrating!? I have found this one mostly soy and some hemp protein drink made by Sambazon (in chilled section in produce at most grocery stores). It is all organic, vegan, comes in vanilla and chocolate (i do the vanilla)......it has acai berries in it which i thought would be bad, but i guess as they are cooked etc...they are broken down enough. Anyway, they are not perfect...not a whole meal like ensure/boost claim to be...tis a "light meal". I have to drink it slowly and at times when everything is bad anyway, can get sick from them. but they are the best i have found.

I am still on daily TPN too (j-tube monstrous problem for me and small bowel motility issues)...but am still playing (ha..like it is fun ;-) with drinks and some foods in hopes of someday being able to take i and absorb enough to not need feedings.

Anyway, sorry to ramble and hope th helps some.
As always, my very best to everyone w our daily battles!!!!

Oh! and they actually taste good!!! ;-)

Sorry to keep adding...but they are lactose free, gluten free etc. I had hopes for the Orgain...but like i said = sick 100% of time. And as these are organic don't have any of the other nasty stuff in them. They help satiate my desire to taste something yunmy.

HHHMMMM Moongazer sounds like I'm going to have to go on a hunt for this stuff. I'm in bad need of a good protein drink!! Thanks for the info!!

Sandy

;-) i hope they work for you and others...i looked at protein/calorie difference between it and boost...boost has 10grams of protein...Sambazon has 8 per serving. (there is 11/3 serving in container...so pretty darn close. It helps if let it warm up just a bit and some and drink it over a little time ;-)

Wow, interesting read from all of you. Although I was not happy with the junk, Ensure kept me alive prior to having my j-g put in. Yes, the taste was nasty but I rarely saw it again once it was down.

Although not in desperate need right now, I am going to look into all the suggestions that have been made by you all, as my physician wants to pull it soon (my GP is periodic--get severe setbacks after getting a cold/flu/virus), but I am not confident about this decision and want to make sure that I have an Ensure substitute once the tube is gone.

Thanks all.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders