BEST TIME TO TAKE MIRILAX?

When would be the best time to take mirilax? I think that if I take it too close to when I eat it forces the food through undigested.. suggestions?

10 replies. Join the discussion

My son took Miralax for a long time - he took it in the AM w/ breakfast , then @ bedtime . I suggest taking it w/ a meal if it works for you .

I usually have to take it for a week or more at bedtime. It doesn't seem to work for a couple of days, then I take it long enough to be sure things are working.....smoothly.

When I took Miralax, I usually took it in the morning. I am not sure, but as Miralax is not a medication that works right away, but can take a day or two to fully its benefits, it may be okay to take it with food. I tend not to have lots of liquids with solids as this tends to flush the solids too quickly out of my system even the liquid is just plain water. Perhaps you could try an hour after breakfast if you are concerned or just experiment on the time to see what works best for you as each person is different. One of things that I like about Miralax is that because it is slow acting, it tends to me more gentle on my system than other alternatives. I hope that you can find a plan that works best for you. Many hugs.

Warm regards,
Bobbiejo

I find it works best when I take it at bedtime.

I take it in the evening in a cup of "tea". It takes a couple days to work, but if I take it at night, when it does kick in, it works in the morning before I leave for work which for me is helpful.

I never tried Miralax, but whenever I take any kind of laxative, I can never predict how long it will take to work. Sometimes it takes a couple of days.

Mimi

Jake takes at bedtime. But remember that it's a stool softener and not a laxative.

Miralax is a laxative and I took it 3 times a day. I asked my doctor about a good colon cleanser and he said take Miralax. I now take Miralax 2 times a day after breakfast and at bedtime.

Anne

My doctor says Mirilax is a laxative that works differently than other laxatives and is gentler on my system so its safe to take regularly. It also happens to soften the stools in the process, but it's a laxative. He says that he has patients that take three capfuls a day and some that take 1/2 capful every other day & to just experiment til I found what worked best for me. What works best for me varies. At the moment I'm at a 1/2 capful every other day but I've been up to two capfuls a day sometimes.

I take miralax (one capful) in a protien powder shake at breakfast and then up to three more times during the day mixed with Crystal Light ice tea. I have been doing this for a coupl of years now. One thing I will add it that Miralax does dehydrate you. It draws water from your body into your colon. So drink plenty of fluids with it.
Nancy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders