Benadryl is my savior

I just wanted to post something to let others know how much benadryl has helped me. I am not recomending this for everyone (or anyone for that case), just letting you know. I have been diagnosed with Gastroparesis and have been FREAKING out. I have upset stomach daily and little appetite. I remembered from when I was in the hospital having a colon resection the nurse giving me benadryl. I have taken it a couple of times, only when it is really bad, and the syptoms have reduced. It also seems to help with my appetite, making me feel hungry and somewhat normal. I don't do this very often but I do feel that it is worth posting about.
Good luck to you all! Please be careful and talk to your doc before trying yourself.

8 replies. Join the discussion

That's interesting - did the nurse tell you why she gave you Benadryl? I wonder what the purpose of it was - were you having an allergic reaction to something?

I was having nausia. I had been given Benadryl in the past for it too. It is very effective for me.

Did they give it to you by iv or pills. How do you take it at home I am glad that it works for you

Smart nurse.
Yes, diphenhydramine(Benadryl) has been used for nausea. Have used it before on boat for seasickness.
However, for me, it has "wired" me after the third day of consistently using it.
Best Regards.

In the hospital, she gave it to me through IV. At home I take the caplets. One or half of one, but again I don't do it everyday.

That's really interesting. I seem to have allergic reactions to a lot of different things and seem to be taking Benadryl a lot lately. I also have a lot of nausea and will have to be going off of my IV Phenergan so next time I take the Benadryl I will pay attention and see if it helps my nausea at all. Thanks for posting this. A lot of people probably don't know that it can help with the nausea.

Ive been an RN for 21 yrs now. Benadryl is used for soooo many reasons, not just nausea or allergic reactions. It decreases mast cells which congregate and for histamines, which you know gives you all the runny nose and eyes related to allergies. Having diarrhea decreases since more water is absorbed and mast cells arent sent to the colon. It also is a mild sedative which helps with cramping. In larger doses it is actually used as a mild anti-psychotic!! Many uses, and i agree, it cant hurt to take 12.5 mgs at first if you are afraid to try but 25-50 orally is the norm. Of course, dont drive or do dangerous things once taken. Hope it works for anyone out there who tries it!

Be careful with Benadryl. It is a known agent that slows motility.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders