Zometa and Dental Work

I've been on Zometa for over two years, without any need for dental work. Now my dentist says I need to have a fractured tooth caped and have a 3 tooth bridge replaced. My oncologist says that I need to go off zometa for 2 months before having anything done except cleaning my teeth. I asked my dentist to call the oncologist, but would guess they might not connect before my Tues. morning appointment to get zometa. My husband thinks I should go ahead with the zometa, and then if I need the dental work, wait 2 more months after that. He wants me to see if the cancer markers have gone up as I have had more pain from the bone mets which are extensive in my spine. Have any of you had experience with dental work that did not involve extractions. I kind of feel like there are no good choices here; but what is the least worst choice.

4 replies. Join the discussion

Ahaha, I too recently had some dental work - a filling and a crown. My onc. thought it was okay to continue with the Zometa while having this done. Someone on this site recently posted about a new blood test called CTX Serum test which is supposed to help with determining your risk of getting ONJ. You might want to mention it to your dentist or onc. Good luck to you.

I, too, recently had to have a filling on a tooth that broke and my Onc said that was fine -- it's the invasive procedures like extractions and root canals that I would need to go off of the Zometa for a while first. Personally, I don't understand that as the Zometa stays within our system, our bones, for a VERY long time. But that seems to be the standard, and so I will if I end up needing a root canal on this tooth.

The other thing to remember is that ONJ is pretty rare, from what I've been told. That being said, I still wouldn't risk it and would go off of the Zometa for 2 months prior to any invasive dental work.

Thanks for your replies. This morning my dentist and my oncologist did talk -- and agreed that I could have the procedures without going off zometa. I still need to check with the lab about warfarin.

Good luck with the dental work. It is just so normal for us all to get a little frightened with all of these alligators nipping at our heals. I haven't chatted with you lately, but I now have bone mets and had my first Zometa treatment today. I am also on Faslodex. the Femara worked for 3 years but I knew this could happen.

Keep questioning your docs

Arlene

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders