Xgeva - prep? Side effects?

Getting my first Xgeva Feb 2nd, on Femara (started this month). Is there anything I can do to help with side effects? I recall hearing about hydration prior to the shot. Also - ways to mitigate bone and joint pain, or other side effects? Forewarned is forearmed! Thanks.

23 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Vera-Wanted to share a link with you-to view the updated guideline scroll to bottom and click on view guideline.
http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Press+Center/Latest+News+Releases/ASCO+News/ASCO +Issues+Updated+Guideline+on+the+Role+of+Bone-Modifying+Agents+in+the+Preve ntion+and+Treatment+of+Bone+Metastases+in+Patients+with+Metastatic+Breast+C ancer

I have my xgeva shot with an ativan chaser....helps with the nausea ...when I combine xgeva with flaslodex, I throw in a pint of beer for good measure....but honestly, I don't think you will even notice your xgeva shot NOTHING like zometa.... I have no side effects except a bit of nausea (ativan wipes that out) and a bit tired.....but I am a big baby.....last shot, I skipped the beer, the ativan and went straight to the mall.....so, not so bad....good luck!!

I have been on xgeva for about 4mos. No side effects. I have a scar across my abdomen since gall bladder surgery about 35 yrs. ago. They give me the shot in my scar because they said those nerves are dead - result - I hardly feel the shot. Hope you have the same good luck.

If you do get bone pain, then the scuttlebutt around the infusion centers is to take a Claritin (Not Claritin D, just the non drowsy Claritin-or it's equivalent).
'Ask your Doctor if Claritin is right for you.' I've always wanted to say that. Anyway, my Doc said taking one after the zometa infusion was alright....so ask if you end up with bone pain. (I was on xgeva for 2 months and did have some of the long bone pain, but slight. I went back to zometa because since these things accumulate and I've been on these a long time, I wanted 1/2 dose every other month and Doc says no go, xgeva does not do that. So back to the zometa.

Great articles and recommendations! Thank you. I learned a lot already, and feel more prepared. I remember severe bone pain (have some from the cancer currently) when they gave me Neupogen shots during chemo. Sure hope it's not as bad as THAT, I could hardly move! Sounds do-able, for sure. I have generic Claritin from Wal-Mart in my home and my car, so I'll ask my doc about that.

I’ve just had my third Xgeva injection and have had no side effects AT ALL. Have them give it t you in your belly-I hardly know the nurse has given it to me. I hope you have the same experiences. Now I’m just hoping that it’s working!
Good Luck
Susie

Vera,
I've been on Zometa for 2.5 years & Femara. I take glucosamine & chondrotin daily. I get a large jar from Costco. It seems to help with joint pain.
Terri

I have been on Xgeva for several months and I have had no side effects. I am told that you need to take calcium with D while on this drug and that it is best when given in the tummy on alternate sides each month. My last bone scan showed marked improvement! Good luck!

Ditto for me. I have been on Xgeva for about 6 months, and no S/E. I had lots, including bone pain, with Zometa. I am a big Xgeva fan!

I had my first Xgeva injection today. The scary reports on ONJ prompted me to discuss it with my oncologist. I have been on Zometa for 31 months and have had some jaw pain (may just be TMJ since I have had it before). The Xgeva has less incidences of ONJ.

I was diagnosed with mets to bones, lungs and chest wall in June of 2009 and took Femara for a year and a half. Faslodex next, but it didn't work. The initial BC came in 1985 (24 years cancer free).
By the way I have been on Tamoxifen since May and the CT (Head & body) today showed all but one tumor have decreased or don't even show up anymore. No change to one small one. Also tumor markers are down. God is so good.
So I went home and rode my motorcycle. I may be 67, but that is just a number, my positive faith will carry me beyond any thing the devil throws at me.

Linda Faye

Hi. I'm on Xgeva and have no side effects. Just started Faslodex and so far so good.

This is all great news. Gals, check your vitamin D levels. I had a nutritionist so much as tell me that the cancer may have come back because the D level was too low for a prolonged time. There is so much to know about this disease! I have had what I thought was severe bone pain, that is markedly better after just a couple of days on high doses (temporarily, I'll have levels checked again in 3 wks) of vitamin D. I am taking 10,000 iu daily, which is high, but we want to help my body recover and then drop to a more normal dose.

I am thanking God for the progress you've shared in this post. Good news is so motivating! Thank you all.

I was switched to Xgeva and had 2 injections 3 months apart. 3 months after the 2nd one the roof of my mouth felt weird. Went to the dentist but he didn't see anything. A week later I had my onc appt and by then a hunk of skin had fallen from the roof of my mouth. He did not give me the shot that day because of that. I waited another 3 months and so far so good. After the first injection I felt more achy than normal but none of the others affected me that way. I take arimidex and I have aches from that.

I had severe allergic reaction to Zometa (high fever and chills, unbearable bone pain, hives, swelling, the works) and ended up in the hospital. They switched me to X-Geva and I have had no side effects at all. I now get Herceptin every 3 weeks and X-Geva every 6 and the few side effects I have (night sweats, flushing, mild fatigue) I think are from the Herceptin, not the X-Geva.

Just curious though: I get mine in the fleshy back part of my arm. It burns like hell!! Those of you getting it in the stomach - does it burn really bad when you get the shot?

I began with Zometa which left me feeling as if I had the flu for a couple of days. The Xgeva, for me, has fewer side effects. I feel a bit blah and achey the next day. Just be sure to take the calcium your doc suggests. Sandy

I took the xgeva for 2 months. It was given in my upper arm (back part) and didn't burn because they made sure and warmed (or let it warm) before injection. She said if you give it ice cold it would hurt. That was my experience.
I went back to the zometa because I am allowed to take 1/2 the dose, every other month. My Doc said if you read the percentages, it actually is a wee bit higher chance from Xgeva in getting the ONJ. But not enough to make that much difference, it's one or maybe up to two out of a hundred who've had it over time, but if that one or 2 is you, OMG.

Another thing about the zometa. For some people the SE lessen over time. I have no reaction to my zometa now, but in the beginning with it, and before that with the eridia the pain was awful.

Regarding the Vit. D question. Most people do not get enough vit. D. When I was working (I drove around a lot during the day, in CA with the windows open and got sun, also loved to garden and the outdoors in general) also drank a lot of milk in my coffee at that time and thought I would have high Vit D levels. After my cancer there was talk about Vit D being low. I had them check mine. (It's s separate test and not usually ever done)Normal is 30 and above. The Doc said he like to keep it at about 40 or 50, Mine was 8. I was shocked, he wasn't, and he said there hadn't been anybody he'd tested that was up to 30! I took the huge amounts for 6 weeks and it came up to 25. Then I took 4,000 per day for a while. It got up above 30. 2 months later he checked it and couldn't believe it was back to 20 already. I may have the Doc check mine out of curiosity, in the meanwhile I do take the vit. everyday now. probably not as much as I should.

i started taking xgeva and faslodex once a month 9 months age. i have, by far, the least side effects of anything i have taken in the last 5 years..the combination showed slight regression and healing in all the bones the first 4 months. on my last pet it showed it stayed stable so i'm thinking i may have to move on to something else. it s a shame because beside fatigue i hardly felt anything

Thanks for the reminder on vitamin D! I may be in the minority, but I had to stop taking XGEVA due to horrible side effects. It was fine for around 4 months, no side effects at all..I was so happy, after experiencing awful pain with Zometa ( bone) and severe with Iridea. But then, it kicked in..and I could barely move..quality of life was so poor that my onc has taken me off it, and currently taking a break from all of them. Likely she will switch me back to lower dose Zometa. I do also have severe hip problems, hip dysplasia and arthritis, and badly in need of hip replacement which I cannot get until I am stable. Likely the severe pain had something to do with that, since that is the area that became intolerable. Definitely better now, just the 'usual' pain, ironically, nothing to do with cancer.

I give it to myself and I don't ice or warm it up and I don't have any pains. I have put it in the back of my arm, backside/hip area and it has been fine. Good to know stomach is best. I do mistletoe as well and always use that area so haven't put the Xgeva there. Will for the next one. I do it every 4 weeks. So far I have had slight regression in my bones. Hope the next scan shows them gone. Wonder if I stuck the needle in my liver if it would work? lol
Hang in there ladies. This I am thinking is going to be a good year. If not I will be pissed. :P

I was on Zometa for several yrs and had one dose of XGeva last yr. It caused extreme jaw pain, but I have long suffered from TMJ and it just seemed to trigger it. I see an oral surgeon every three months to watch a tumor inside my mouth. Two different oral surgeons cannot figure out the nature of the tumor and are fearful of removing it and causing ONJ. Last month, I resumed Zometa and had a severe reaction: Felt like I was dosed with sedatives and was slurring my words. Although I am having extreme bone pain in my lower spine and iliac crests (hips) from the mets, the Zometa made it doubly worse for one week. So, I will be back on XGeva next time (in a few mo because my oncologist believes that two or three times a yr bisphosphinate TX is enough).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders