xgeva and dental work

Anyone have any experience with xgeva and dental work. I would like to have some dental work done but have concerns. Previously I was taking Zometa

7 replies. Join the discussion

I am in the same boat. Have a tender gum above my front tooth. It seems to be going away but think I should get it checked out. Just scared to have to get a root canal. Especially after reading all the links between root canals and BC. Sort of screwed if we do and screwed if we don't.
If it's just a filling I think we are ok. I am thinking of printing off the Xgeva SE sheet and having my dentist read it first before doing anything.

Also I have read that if you have inflammation in the mouth then your immune system is weakened as it is trying to fight the inflammation and it can compromise your immune system. We need our immune systems rev'ed in full force so my advice would be to get it looked after. Waiting will just make the dental work more involved, increasing the chances of complications.
I think Zometa has a higher risk so make sure they are aware. Good luck!

Thanks, Mighty

Hi, I was on zometa for 2 1/2 years and have been on Xgeva since last year. March maybe? I have had fillings and a root canal and a crown done this past month No problems at all. I'm having 2 more crowns this year. I inherited terrible teeth/enamal and most had been crowned before treatment. My doctor is aware of the possible complications from the drugs, and I trust her. what else can we do, especially if we need it done, right? Good luck. Kat

My onc said they would take me off zometa for a few months if I needed extractions or root canals done. 2.5 years later on Zometa, I'm still doing well.
Terri

Wow, sounds like my story

Again, thanks to all, what a wonderful group of people. too bad we don't live in the same town so we could have a party!

My dentist called my Oncologist and was told it would be OK if my blood work was in a good range. I had a lab simple at my Family Practice Doctor,s office and I was good to go. Good luck!

Arlene

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders