What's after affinitor/aromasin??

Hi All:)
Just wondering what you went to after affinitor/aromasin quit working???
I have been on tamoxifen after chemo/rad, Then arimidex, then affinitor/aromasin. They had me on 10 mg. my mouth sores were pretty bad! They dropper down to 7,5. Cancer grew tiny bit and my markers jumped:( so now I am meeting w dr. To come up w change of plan. I hate to give u on this. 10mg markers went DOWN. But don't know if I should risk it.
And of course wondering about side effects ???
Take care of yourself and God bless!!!!!

32 replies. Join the discussion

God Morning, After arimidex I ws placed on faslodex injection monthly- xgeva for bone mets. No side effects for me but it was unsucessful. Ramona from Florida

After Afinitor stopped working for me, I went on Infused chemo - Taxotere and Perjeta - and returned to Herceptin. I've been on Herceptin before but had to stop due to heart problems it caused. Only have had two treatments so haven't been scanned yet to see if it is working. Good luck to you!

I understand that there is a very effective prescription Magic Mouthwash for the mouth sores. If the A/A combo is working, you may want to up the dose again and try the mouthwash, before giving it up??

I used Magic Mouthwash. It's fabulous and works great for mouth sores. It's specifically mixed for each patient.

I was just taken off Afinitor/Aromasin and will be starting Xeloda. I'm actually looking forward to it as my Afinitor journey brought on pneumonia for me. I had the Faslodex injections before the Afinitor and that failed too. I guess the hormone treatments no longer work for me.

Can anyone please tell me, I am on Afinitor / Aromasin have been on it for 16 days and have started to itch, does anybody have any remedies or answers as what to use.
Thank you.

Hi Amanda,
I have been on Afinitor since 10/10/12 and did have the itchy spots but they have lessened. I had the mouth ulcerations terribly up until this week. My Afinitor RN calss every 2 -3 weeks or so and said to try wrapping the Afinitor with some bread before you swallow it. It will protect your mouth from the reaction of the meds. I tried a mini marshmallow but couldn't get it down. lol. I also wash/brush my teeth with Biotene toothpaste and rinse with Biotene mouthwash - that really is soothing. I have also used warm water with a dab of salt and baking soda which is helpful. I watch what I eat so that I do not eat anything sharp or spicy. Boring but not as painful. My Onc told me on Jan 24th that if my Hemoglobin & Hematacrit gets back into the normal range(I have been battling Severe anemia for months) My RBC's just came back up -- she said that she may be able to say I am in remission. I pray that this is working. I am in less bone pain, which is soooo nice. I also have been on Aromasin for almost one year and monthly injection of Xgeva. I was diagnosed with bone mets 7/1/2010; on Tamoxifen for 1 yr. until it did not work anymore; then on Megase for 5 mos. Aromasin since Feb 2012. My Onc of over 14 yrs retired and now the new onc is more aggressive and I am so relieved to feel that this has been a successful treatment for me at this time. As for the itchiness --- try lotions without fragrances. I think this symptom may pass as your body gets use to the treatment, as mouth ulcerations will also -- as I have been told. But-- let your onc know also.
Good luck. I pray that Afinitor will work for you, as it has for me. Are you on an aromatase inhibitor in combination with Afinitor?

Thanks for your input . I am on aromasin w the affinitor. Onc wants to switch to something else but I think I want to try one more month on 10mg.

I have been on Afinitor & Aromasin since July. My recent scan results showed everything is stable. I too have had an itchy rash since I started this treatment. As one area starts to clear up, another area starts somewhere else. I bathe every night using Oilatum or E45 and though I don't feel it is curing it it certainly soothes the itch for a while.

I have been lucky enough only to have had a few minor mouth sores.

I hope you don't mind me asking but can anyone tell me how long they took this combo for before it failed for them.

8 months for me before it stopped working.

It stopped working for me and the mets were found to increase in liver. i m taking chemo with 6-cycles of which five are already done showing decrease in size of mets.

I lasted only 3 1/2 months on Afinitor/Aromasin. My bone mets increased only slightly but 2 of my 3 liver mets increased by almost a centimeter and the other increased slightly.

I'm on afinitor/femera, I started itching when I went from 5mg to 7.5mg. The onc. NP suggested taking Claritin once a day and Benadryl every 6 hr. as needed. I took 1 Benadryl and 1 Claritin the first day and 1 Claritin the second day. My itching is gone. Hoping it won't come back.

do afinitor and aromasin have to be taken together at the same time?

Yes, Afinitor and Aromasin are taken at the same time. I was told that's the only way it would work.

KatNT,
Yep, that is how I was instructed also. Also, wrap the Afinitor with a little piece of bread-- that will keep the meds from coming in contact with your mouth and tongue. It has worked for me. Best wishes.

Suzy

Aromasin can be taken individually, but as I understand it from their website.... Afinitor must be used in combination with an aromatase inhibitor

Thanks for the replies to my question. Pleased the chemo is working for you.

What is Magic Mouthwash?? I am using Biotiene.

Magic Mouthwash is a prescription mouthwash made specifically for each patient. It worked really well for me. When I had mouth sores, I would use that before eating as it numbs the pain. Otherwise, I had much difficulty eating and swallowing. Ask your Onc about it to get the prescription. I also used Biotene, which is good, but the MM is better for pain.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders