what treatment are you using for liver met

I have a liver met and have been on Navelbine for three months. I just had an CT scan and there was progress in liver met. My Onc gave me several options for changing the treatment. She is not sure which one would be effective. This question is for those with liver met. I need to know what treatments have you been using or used in the past that had been effective for liver met. I really appreciate your reply. I have to decide what I wanted to do by next week.

20 replies. Join the discussion

Femara did not work for me, so I am now on Faslodex. On Femara, my bc mets went from the lung to the liver and some small hemangiomas turned into MBC. Will get my blood/CT/bone scan done next week to see if Faslodex is working. My side fx from Faslodex are only mild nausea occasionally, and the med has to be warmed up well to avoid giving you a contusion that hurts. Other than that, side fx are minimal to me. Good luck!

My liver mets are from TNBC, so treatments may be different. Nothing worked until the genzar, carbo and iniparib, and don't know for sure if that's still working until scan in mid-late April.

I used Abraxane and Gemzar for my liver mets the first time and they got me NED. I stayed that way for 13 months and since it worked last time and since I'd been off them for over 6 months, I am back on them and they are working. My onc says there's no reason why I can't get NED back again since he came to me last time. My first scan showed that it is working. I have another scan after my next cycle (which is 2 Fridays on and one Friday off aqnd starts on the 25th). I am ER/PR+ and HER2-.

Good luck!

I used taxotere/ herceptin and taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin to get rid of my liver mets.

Laurie

I spent about 18 months with a few breaks on taxol & avastin, and then 4 months on taxol alone and finally they can not see my liver mets. Prior to this I had just bone mets and I was er+/her2-. We never knew the pathology of the liver mets because they dont do biopsy in the liver. Now, I am on faslodex because the tumor on my left illium got bigger.
Good luck!

I don't know your pathology. I am triple positive, and dx with liver mets Jan 2010. I had 3 tumors, 1 was 5 cm and one was 3 cm, and 2 cm, so, NOT small tumors. Went on Herceptin and Gemzar. Onc monitored me super, super closely. After 3 rounds of this chemo, scan - slowed slight progression. Then, onto Navelbine and Herceptin. That combo ROCKED. Within 3 months tumor burden went down 50%. Stayed on same tx for another 3 months. SLIGHT progression. Experts wanted me to try something different. Went on tykerb and xeloda. MAJOR explosion of cancer in just six weeks. major, major growth.

Then, we went back on Herceptin, Ixempra, Avastin, and Fasoldex. I've been on this for 4 tx's (3 months). Just got results back - onc says major regression on this combo. SO - hopefully, that helps. Ixempra is not the easiest chemo, but after 3 tx's, and apparently ALOT less cancer, it's not a hard chemo anymore for me. If you are her+, I think I would try TDM-1. That seems to be the mecca of miracle drugs.

HTH,
Kim

I was on faslodex and zometa for mets in the bones. I just found out that the cancer has spread to the right and left side of the liver and to the lymp nodes near the pancreas. My bile duct and pancreas were also double in size. Doctor did endoscopic ultra sound to find out this information. She also did biopsy of liver etc. also my tumor markers were getting higher each month. I just started on doxil and xgeva. I don't know if it is working or not because I just started on March 11th. I am hoping that this works....In the past I have been on tomoxifin, femaraI am not , and aromasin, however they stopped working. Good luck with treatment and I hope that you do well. Last winteer I was on taxol and avastin, however I had to many side effect from the taxon and that is when I went on the faslodex. I also am not triple negative. I don:t know if I am of any help.

I just found out last week that I have liver mets. I had been on a 3 month chemo break and feeling really good. Was only taking Femara pills. First tumor markers doubled and then Pet Scan showed liver mets. Tumor on sternum doubled but tumor on spine decreased. Bones remained the same except for some rib fractures.
My oncologist immediately started me on Abraxane and Herceptin. I was giving a triple dose instead of weekly. The triple dose caused major body pains which lasted 4 days. He may have to go back to weekly dosage. I am triple positive MBC.
As for my 'Numb Chin Syndrom', it's never gotten better.

I have bone and liver mets - i am taking NAB paclitaxel (aka abraxane) keeping me stable for now (6 tx so far)

I had one liver met and I did Taxol/Gemzar. That shrinked the tumor considerably. Then I did CyberKnife (a form of radiation) to kill the remainder of the tumor in the liver. That was last May and I so far I don't have active disease. I hope this helps!!!

thank you all for the replies. I forgot to mention that I'm ER/PR+ and HER2-. Herceptin is not an option for me. the first drug that my Onc recommended was Carboplatin/Gemcitabine (Gemzar). I'm working full time and I don't know how hard these drugs will be on my body.

I'm presently on gemzar for my liver mets. Don't know how it is working yet,one more cycle before I get scans again. The drug made it very difficult for me to work full time. I had to take an extended leave. Good luck.

Arimidex for nineteen months. After two months met had decreased and since then has remained same. Like you I was ER/Pr+ Her2-

Triple positive. Been on herceptin for years now. Dx one liver met 2cm in Oct. 2009. Navalbine worked for 4 months. Recurrence - big tumor larger and smattering of five smaller ones. Started gemzar/carbo. After three months - liver mets reduced considerably. 7 months of gemzar - stopped Dec. 2010 because of rare side effect called TTP/HUS. Pet Scan scheduled for Friday. Results will guide next treatment step. I'll be watching this discussion thread for guidance when I talk to my onc about what comes next after gemzar/carbo. Thanks.

my mom age 72 with widespread breast ca met seems to be failing--she was on taxol recently for 4 mths--for met to lung,liver,spine and ribs--she has been getting very weak,immobile since one month--she is a fighter--always said that she wants to come out of ca once atleast but now seems resigned to the fact that her end may come--she needs help with all her needs--even prayers are not working--the docs say that her end is near--she is still taking it in the right spirit--i don't want her to die--she does want me to go visit her in india coz she says no use now and she never knew she wld slip so soon--i am very sad --doc says her cond is coz of extensive met--any suggestions?

I am ER- PR- HER2+. After carboplatin and taxotere with herceptin still had liver mets. I switched to vegan Life Over Cancer Diet and drank tons of green tea with drops of astragalus, papaya leaf and milk thistle that I ordered from Mountain Herbs. Liver mets are gone for now.

Jojoinnj

Can you tell me more about your "numb chin syndrom" What is the cause and how to you deal with it? Most of my discomfort starts one hour after I go to bed and it's always my lower right lip/chin. The discomfort wakes me up and I feel numb and swollen (but I'm not swollen). I apply ice for about 1 hour then the discomfort goes away. I can then go back to sleep. It's like it happens once then stops. It is consistent. I am left with a tingle or numbness at different degrees. So far I'm not getting anywhere with how to stop it.

DianeZupa,
I'll reply to your numb chin question thru email message. We need to keep this thread open for liver mets.

I am also so curious about what people are taking or doing for their liver mets since I'm newly dx with liver mets.

Jojoinnj

I have been on abraxane since mid December 2010. So far iy is keeping things somewhat stable, which the doctor says is a win. I want reduction though. Will scan again in early May and might switch to a different chemo. Possibly gemzar or xeolda, or a clinical trial drug. I have liver mets and a lymph node under my clavicle. I have very few side effects on the abraxane so that has been nice.

Charlee2, can you explain to me how the alternative medicine worked for you - Life Over Cancer Diet. How long were you on this diet? did you stop the chemo or you were doing chemo and diet at the same time?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders