What to eat during chemotherapy

Dear friends,
Please tell me about the best foods to eat during chemo. What foods worked for you best? Any easy recepies?
Love,
Angelvoice

19 replies. Join the discussion

For me some melon, juicy oranges and organic yogurt along with absolutely yummy I cannot get enough of watermelon got me through some very rough patches......
Sending you healing vibes.

Same for me - oranges and any type of melon were so good. I also really loved turkey sandwiches with pickles. The pickles always seemed to help my nausea a bit....not much, but a bit :> I really never felt like big meals, but usually baked chicken and veggies hit the spot. Of course, when I was on steriods it was a different story - anything not pinned down was fair game!! I always point to my chemo "baby" and blame the steriods and of course, the donuts....LOL!!

The one thing I was told by everyone is that if you eat your favorite food a bunch while on chemo, it may not be your favorite when you are done and boy was that 100% true for me!! I cannot stomach the smell of a fragrance candle I had around during chemo and turkey sandwiches are hard for me to eat now because I have an association thing going on. I'm sure it will fade with time :> I hope the chemo is being kind to you and horrible to the cancer! lisa

Cherry danish, chocolate donuts, butter pecan ice cream . . . . I do throw some fish, brown rice and vegetables in the mix. Obviously chemo has never caused me any nausea. I should care more about what I eat, I know. I have the food pyramid taped to my refrigerator. There's a government web site that lets you type in what you ate in a day and then tells you how you are doing following the pyramid example. Usually it tells me I'm pathetic. One thing my oncology nurse mentioned is that their specialty is the only doctor's office that never asks you to lose weight. I'd guess the thinking is that at some point I my not be able to eat and having a few extra pound to lose would help.

The American Cancer Society has a useful, free publication regarding healthful eating during chemo.

PAMELA

My nausea was not chemo induced but cancer induced (When the cancer metastasized.). I lost 30 lbs. in two months. (I was 130 to start.) The diet advice from my doctors was if I can eat it and keep it down, eat as much as I can.

My first "breakthrough" food, something I could eat and keep down, was watermelon! It's taken me six months to put 20 lbs back on, but I sure look better now. But I still can't eat chicken and it used to be my main meat.

The best thing is to experiment a little. If you can imagine that something tastes good, try a little. If you can't imagine that it would taste good, avoid it at any cost. This worked well for me but everyone is different.

I agree with the others where watermelon is concerned. I can't seem to get enough watermelon while on treatment. I also have craved banana nut muffins, yogurt and sugar free puddings. I find that most meats are difficult to tolerate. For me it's been a lot of trial and error in finding the right foods that I could tolerate, as well as having nutritional value. If I am battling mouth sores and low appetite I try and at least get some Ensure in me. It will take some time but you'll find what works best for you and your system. There is so much to consider when wrestling this alligator, but you will no doubt get through this round victorious! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I must say I am a bit weird
I loved cheese crackers, smoked oysters, mashed potato, porridge, yogurt, soup and the most important of all good old vegemite on toast. I think I will try watermelon LOL

the first few says after chemo I need to stick to bland bland bland...or I get nauseaus. It seems to be balance to keep the constipation balanced with the opposite. My nurse said the anti medics are the consitpation bugger...It does matter what chemo you are on...certain foods are discouraged with certain chemo treatments so you may want to do an internet search with your med names. Also - some foods are not recommended for anyone with weakened immune systems....aged cheeses, deli prepared foods, fresh veggies. .....things that could be contanimated or
'germy'....
That said...I sure seem to be gaining weight through all this...I want blame something and I think steroids wins. When I finally feel better after treatments, I want to eat all the things I can't during the sick times. ....yes, can you tell I am a lover of food? ALso, priolosec - generic, seems to help with heartburn and nausea for me. Laurie

Well, whatever you can keep down is good, of course. I'm allergic to watermelon, so that's out.

As far as advice from my naturopath -- eat protein and fiber at every meal. When you're on chemo you should be getting 60 grams of protein a day versus 40 - 50 (I think) for the average woman. Protein helps you build yourself back up.

I'm with Shes-So-Weird, if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it. I had my first chemo 13 years ago, and am getting ready to do it again because of mets. I've lost 20 lbs. during the 2 1/2 years since the mets diagnosis. Probably gonna shoot that wad with steroids. My nurses always told me, if you want it, eat it and I'm sticking to that.

I always bring in a large bottle of water. Sometimes
cheese and crackers, fruit etc. The nurses usually
have an assortment of goodies at the front desk
that people have brought in, basically whatever floats your boat.

Watermelon for me, too. And grapes, saltine crackers, string cheese or light mozzerella cheese cubes, and lots of soup and protein shakes (Unjury or GNC). I had horrible nausea, so at times I couldn't even keep these things down, but they were the only foods that didn't turn my stomach when I thought about eating them.

Also, I was much too tired and weak to cook, and these foods didn't have to be cooked (I microwaved condensed soup or my husband would bring a somewhat bland lentil soup from a nearby restaurant).

I lost 35 pounds while on Taxotere, and thus, my doctor also said that I should eat as much as I could of any foods I could tolerate.

Have a great day!
Marlee

The food issue is a bit of a hit & miss. Some foods you were able to eat make make you ill on sight. I loved citrus fruits and bananas. Once chemo began I couldn't eat either. The same for bread. It tasted like mush in my mouth. I did try fruit cups like peaches went down alright. I ate a lot of soup. Sup does have nutrients. Avoid spicey foods. One thing I will suggest is that you drink "ginger tea" it will absolutely help you with the nausea. A Thai lady told me to buy a good piece of ginger, grate it add water and cook it till you have a nice tea. Flavour with honey. Fresh applesauce or baked apples. You will have to experiment during your good days....

I had to stick with bland foods for the first few days after treatment. My oncologist said to eat whatever I wanted; he said it was important to eat, and not lose too much weight, so whatever tasted good to me and that I could tolerate.

One thing I ate a lot of was rice; I have a rice cooker, and would cook a big pot of it before I had my chemo. I would eat it plain for a couple of days, then when I could handle a bit more food, I would mix an egg in with it and cook it on the stove, getting a bit of protein that way.

I also could eat baked or mashed potatoes, and plain chicken. Red meat tasted "metallic" to me during chemo, as did plain water, so I drank flavored waters, such as Propel.

I never had a problem with nausea, but for some reason, jello and applesauce really hit the spot. I bought the litte premade jello cups with a little bit of fruit in the bottom and a big jars of applesauce. It keeps in the fridge. Seems like cold things were the best, maybe because of the sore tongue.

Susan

Canned unsweetened peaches and pears! All of us are different, a friend of mine told me about her mom who had breast cancer and for her it was the peaches. Tried it and it was like a mirical food. After reading everyone's replies I think when I go into my next round sometime in the near future I will try the melon.

During radiation I ate two bags of clemintines a week.

Best of luck to you and eat what ever your heart desires, many of your favorites won't taste so great but it comes back after chemo so don't give up.

Just thought of another one, canned or fresh beets.

In my prayers,
jg-23

Oatmeal.

Stage IV here. Through chemo the only things I could consistently eat w/o living on Zofran and other anti-nausea meds were: Tilamook Cheddar Cheese, Daisy Sour Cream, Tostitos, Oranges, Pace Picante Sauce, and tangerines. Now that I'm on Tamoxifen and Zometa its way better -- I am eating most foods again. My sweet taste is still off a bit, and anything with certain sugars in it just tastes pretty bad still. The new product Truvia (stevia) is working as a sugar sub for me, I can now drink a tiny bit of coffee again. I hope you can find things to eat. Basically my onc's office said to eat whatever I could and try not to lose weight -- so that's what I've been doing.

Hi,

I've been on chemo since June and i usually eat cottage cheese or hard boiled egg for breakfast; banana for snack; Boost protein drink for lunch; and dinner is best with soups or rice and vegetables. Nothing tastes quite the same and my appetite is not like before....I still crave chocolate periodically and I like cheese sticks and chees with crackers. I eat several small meals throughout the day. That works best for me. Good luck

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders