Tooth extraction before Zometa

So, I went to the Dentist to get a cavity filled before Zometa and she said I also need a root canal and two extractions! Apparently I have an infection in the roots of the teeth and if they try to do root canals they most likely will fail, and she knows I'm going on Zometa. So I think it's unavoidable.
My question is, my dentist said I should wait a month after the extractions to start Zometa. Does this seem too long/too soon? I'm going to ask my Onco, but I'm not so sure he understands the dental connection since he never warned me in the first place! If it wasn't for all of you, I'd be in a heap of trouble!!!
Thanks so much, everyone!

6 replies. Join the discussion

I would suggest you get a second opinion from a dentist that specializes in dental oncology. These are dentists who deal with patients who have side effects from radiation, chemotherapy or surgery. I know of one in McLean VA and Dallas TX but I am sure there are others.

Diane,
If you've not been on biphosphates, get your teeth done first. Wait until they are completely healed before starting. The problems regarding biphosphates and ONJ.......osteonecrosis of the jawbone.......occurs from the build up of ossified bone within the jawbone. It comes after being on biphosphates for a prolonged period. You should have no problems with dental work.......but avoid the biphosphates, until all the healing is done.

Listen to Warrior-

-http://www.us.zometa.com/patient/zometa-prescribing-information.jsp
click on the highlighted "see full prescribing information" link, the other pdf file I copied will not open for me but this will take you to it. Also read 12.3 Metabolism section

HI,

For sure if they teeth need to come out, do it for sure before Zometa. I had posted a while back about Zometa and ONJ and got wonderful responses from everyone. I finally got a tooth extracted yesterday and feel so much better. I had been having Zometa infusions every six months since Dec 2009, then in Oct once a month, with the last one Mar 2012. I do not know about all oncologists but mine did not say "so not have any teeth pulled" I checked out ONJ but did not understand how it came to be etc. The pictures I saw showed awful pictures of what can happen but I never connected it with tooth extraction. Also mine was the very back tooth and I had had to two teeth in front of it pulled out many years ago, ticked me off as they both had caps on them, so take care and do what you need to before starting Zometa. Also in hind sight I was not told before I had chemo to have any dental work done, I went for my regular check up and they would not touch me until I got done.

Take care and hope all is well

Thanks, everyone! I'm relieved that I waited to start Zometa before my dental exam but a little disappointed in my oncologist for not suggesting i get my dental work handled before I started. Thanks goodness I've been reading all of your posts since my diagnosis last month! Thanks, again. Xoxox

Have the dental work done. Make sure that you see the dentist for followup before you start zometa. You want to make sure the bone is filing in, in the area of the extraction, and that everything looks good with no infection. Then I believe it will be safe to start zometa. I do have ONJ and I think it is prudent to make sure everything is healed before starting zometa.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders