Taxol toenails

Hi ladies...please help.

Both of my big toes have become inflamed, red and very painful. I know that many of you have experienced the loss of toenails and I want to know if this is how it started.

How can stop the infection too?

Love and hugs

Sally xxxxx

17 replies. Join the discussion

I lost my fingernails and toenails with Taxotere. But they did not get red or swollen and were not really painful until the nail was gone. Your Dr probably needs to be consulted. Sounds like an infection maybe? Tea tree oil was what I was told to use for my nails but the smell was terrible so I only used it for a bit and then quit. Hugs for you and hang in there. Julie

Hi Jamilla, I would go to a podiatrist asap. I went to a podiatrist to cut my toenails when I was taking TAC chemo. A couple of weeks later, my big toenail became ingrown and then the top of the toe became red and really painful (infected). I was also nutropenic at the time. You need a dr's help as I believe they will get worse. Antibiotics and soaking in epsom salts was my remedy from the podiatrist - cleared up pretty quickly and the dr. was happy.

Now my big toes are lifting from the sides and one is turning black (last treatment 4/22). I will go back for another check but at this time, no infection.

Please take this seriously. good luck to you.

See a doc, sounds like an infection to me. Don't let it get out of control.

Good luck!!!

I have lost a fingernail and few toenails with Taxotere. The remaining nails all are purple. While back by finger nail become painful, red and inflamed that I could not bend my finger. I took Antibiotics for the infection and one day as I was touching my finger to reduce the pain it start draining. It was awful but the pain was gone immediately.

Sara

My toenails did get funky but I did not loose them, and as others have mentioned please check with your doctor regarding the infection.

Hugs,
Lisa

Have you tried ice during infusions?

I did lose my toenails AND fingernails with Taxotere, but did not have the redness or inflamation. I think I'd see your doc. Good luck!

I did put my feet on a baggy of ice during taxol infusions and it seemed to help (on & off as you can tolerate it). You'll need that warm blanket! I also used tea tree oil under/around my nails during that period. There were changes in the nails, but not bad. After chemo, I had a painful big toe, but neosporin, tea tree oil, and tender treatment solved the problem! Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the great info ladies. I am seeing my Doc tomorrow,I can hardly walk. But I feel so silly walking in and saying my big toe hurts! But hey it has to be done. What we have to put up with,you gotta laugh sometimes!

Bless u dear friends

Jamilla x

Hi Jamilla, in respect to all the side effects I got from Taxotere a painful toe does seem low on the list, but trust me, the infection will get worse and you would need stronger antibiotics to clear it up. So if the Oncologist does not take it seriously, get yourself to a podiatrist who looks at toes and knows what to do all day long! Not to alarm you, but the podiatrist told me that if my infection got worse and kept traveling down the toe, she would have to put my in the hospital with iv antibiotics. You can bet I was soaking my toes twice a day in epsom salts faithfully. My thoughts were what else am I going to have to deal with!

I am glad you are seeing the doctor tomorrow, let us know!

I had to walk into my doc and say I have an infection in my pinky toe .... twice!! (within about 2 weeks) So have a good laugh!!

I had an infection in one of my big toes during chemo. I had two courses of antibiotics. Both of my big toenails ended up looking yellowish. I lost the toenail that had been infected eventually. It did not hurt after the infection was gone. I soaked my infected toe in hydrogen peroxide 2 times a day as well as taking the antibiotic. I have used tea tree oil 2 times a day for a long time. Since my big toe nails were still not right, I did see a podiatrist (sp?) lately. I finished chemo almost 2 yrs ago. She is having me use a special liquid I get at her office now. I am still looking forward to wearing open toe shoes again ---maybe next yr??? Glad you are going to see the doctor that sounds like what you need now! Infected toes are painful.

I have nails growing under all my nails. I have to be careful that the top nails don't get pulled back. It did happen to one finger nail which got infected. My MD ordered Keflex for infected finger nail. It eventually stopped ozzing out but never looked right. Now I use peroxide and tea tree oil alternating. Last year I only had 2 toe nails fall off.
Jamilla ask your doctor what he thinks. My doctor looks like he never saw a set of double nails. At least it does not hurt but just annoying like you have something under your nails.

I had something similar with my big toes and taxol as well.

Very sore, and now it looks like it is growing out. I used a lot of tree tea oil... My last Taxol treatment was the worst! The toes,
a few fingernails, and some zits on my scalp... I am so glad to not be doing anymore for now!

Aren't we all a lovely mess huh?

hi yes taxol is like most chemo the pits

my big toes got so sore untill on of my nurses suggested a pillow at the end of my bed since then its been wonderful as the blankets etc do not touch any part of my feet

i have had trouble with different shoes as well siippers at home and one pair of comfy boots for going out

i have not lost any nails but feel i have come close only good luck has saved them

my nails continual peel and brake they are so brittle
i had my last taxol yesterday so here is hopeing my side effects will go soon

kim

Wow, I have been wearing open toed shoes despite my ugly thick sick peeling toenails. I am almost two years out since my last taxotere infusion, been doing lots of trimming and tea tree oil without much luck. My fingernails were not so bad, just became super thin and had to keep trimmed to the nub to avoid painful tears. Toenails not so good. I have been afraid to see a doctor about them as despite all the cancer nasties I am super chicken to have nails removed. I know, jeez.

With docetaxol my fingernails became flaky and yellow. Last of 6 sessions was 29 May and I have about 1/4 of each nail left. Because of PN I couldn't cut my toenails or fingernails so was referred to a podiatrist who said not to neglect them 'cos of infection risk. I have no spleen so WBCC is a big problem. I found filing my fingernails until they no longer looked like overhanging cliffs helped immensely as they no longer catch on everything so I keep doing that. Just seek advice from podiatrist if you can to avoid problems further down the track.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders