Shortness of breath, pounding heart

Over thanksgiving weekend, have developed increased shortness of breath and pounding heart. Can not walk from my chair to the kitchen without feeling stressed. Even sitting in a chair my heart feels stressed, though does not pound. Last week the doctor set an appointment for this week to possible do a transfusion. I have low red and white cells, and platelets. Has anyone else had these symptoms.

43 replies. Join the discussion

Don't have those symptoms but am praying REALLY HARD for your comfort!

Big hugs~

Don't be a hero trying to last until Monday if it gets scary!

Adding more prayers to Beachbabe's.

Be careful,
Brent

I'm worried for you--those sound like very serious symptoms. I hope you will call your oncologist ASAP and let him/her know what you're going through.

I'm thinking about you--wishing you the best.

Linda

Please take everyones advice, don't wait to call. I am also adding you to my extra special prayers.

Wishing you relief
Lynn

Last winter on heavy duty chemo my hemoglobin got really low and I experienced similar symptoms. Couldn't get enough air, and just the slightest exertion made my heart pound. I actually failed a cardio test and had a heart catheterization, which was normal. One my hemoglobin started to come up I felt much better. I never had a transfusion, but was hovering down around the borderline. Women who have had one say it makes a world of difference. But, it's only going to last a few weeks because if the problem is that your bone marrow is not keeping up with the need for new red cells because of chemo, you'll need it again. Maybe it will be a sort of bridge until your body can catch up a bit, though. I'm saying these things assuming you are on chemo. If not, then it could be a heart issue (congestive heart failure would cause increased sob when lying down).

AHAHA
My doctor has put me on chemo pills and when my red blood cells get low he gives me blood and he said that is why it does that to me.Hope your doctor helps.I have to get blood tomorrow. Will write more later

I saw the doctor today. I had a chest x-ray, which showed pneumonia and maybe something else of which we are not sure, but doesn't look like cancer (though he won't say it isn't possible). Got a quart of blood. Counts are not coming up, and he's a bit concerned.....we wait a while before checking for something else like cancer in the bone marrow. He says that I've had so much chemo and twice radiation and that could be causing the blood problems. He's scheduled a mugga scan to check on the heart and we may do some other stuff/scans too. I see him again Wed.

It's me again. My symptons are not as bad as yours.I live in a two story house and my bedroom is up stairs and when my red blood cells get low I have the same symptoms going up and done the staris.When they give me blood it gets better.My doctor gives me blood every 3-4 weeks tyring to get it good.The only thing that had dropped in my blood work this week was the red bools cells.I hope all goes well with you.
Your friend Betty

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep you posted on how this goes. Right now, too pooped to write any more.

We're all pulling for you!!!! A mugga scan...sounds like something a hip hop rapper would have :)

Beachbabe and others -- thanks.
The mugga scan is for the heart -- some possibility of congestive heart failure. I'm taking a pill that helps drain fluid. There were other unlikely but scary things too. . . stuff in the lungs which doesn't look like cancer, but not sure what it is. And the question of why the blood cells, white and red, aren't coming back as they should after chemo dosage reduced. A far fetched possibility -- cancer in the bone marrow. Anyway, first we see how what's happening responds to the treatment being given - a strong anti-biotic and the fluid drainage pill.

I bet you were never before glad to have pneumonia!
I do know a few women who had heart problems after chemo and radiation but hopefully your problem will clear up with the antibiotic and transfusion. Best Wishes

Thinking of you and hoping for the best

Dear Ahaha,
I've always thought that when cancer metastasizes to bone it probably moves thru our blood marrow assuming it didn't travel thru the lymph system. So finding it in the bone marrow, as they did in my case, didn't seem alarming. Is that a strange place to find evidence of cancer when you've got stage IV and should I be more concerned about that than I've been?
Anita

Ahaha-
It sounds like your doc is covering all the proper bases here, esp with the MUGA. To me, it sounds like your low RBC may be causing problems, in addition to pneumonia. Mets to the bone marrow is not totally uncommon and can potentialy cause low RBC, but so can treatment. the RBC's carry oxygen in the body and if they are low, your heart and lungs will try to work overtime to compensate.
I hope that your tests show no major problems and that you can get a handle on the RBC and pneumonia. Take it easy in the meantime and don't overdo it.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts.
:)
-c.

I have been having some shortness of breath and heart pounding for the last week or so. Have not been too concerned as it comes and goes and I have been told that can also be a side affect of the Femara. Hope your doctor visit went well and I am praying for you.

iN HOSPITAL FOR ABOUT A WEEK. congestive heart failure and pneumoniA. hARD TO BREATH.

Ahaha, I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I had a feeling it might be chf, but hoped it wasn't.

i am so sorry
my prayers are with you
Rene

Ahaha, we are all visiting you in your hospital room, holding your hand, praying for you, bringing you pix of buff dudes in their bathing suits (hey, a girl can dream).

Please know that you are surrounded by love and prayers...feel the positive energy we are sending your way as we try to will your body to heal.

Big holiday hugs~

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders