scared of Doxil

I will be 90 in a few months, DX in 2004 er + h- two years on tamoxofin, then bumps in same breast, met to chest wall, 5 yrs on femara, bumps cleared, fine till other bumps, rediation for 33 treatments,switched to Faslodex, twice a month, after 7or 8 minths count started going up (last year) switched to Xeloda for a few months but count kept going up, so have been advised to start Doxil. I have hesitated for a month. Side effects scare me. I am concerned about quality of life at this point, and wondering how this will affect me.

Second riddle...I just learned extensive mets to bone...Zometa recommended. I took it once several years ago (bone density showed osteopenia hips) but didn't continue because I had flu-like symptoms for several hours one day later: 102 fever, pain in muscles, trauma sites. It is supposed to be the best and I wonder if the befefit will far outweigh the monthly discomfort.

Any experience, observation, advice gratefully received.

8 replies. Join the discussion

Buttonbx - god bless you 90 years old! I have no advice regarding Doxil, but I hear that the SE's from Xgeva are much easier than Zometa. Currently I am on Femara and Xgeva and have no side effects from Xgeva, my side effects are from Femara (hips and knees feels like I have Arthritis). You should ask your doc about Xgeva. I hope this is helpful.

And I thought I was the oldest Inspirette, way to go buttonbx. (I'm only 76.)

I had no side effects from either Zometa or Doxil. Unfortuanately Doxil didn't work on my many tumors.

Good luck to you,
Jan

God bless you 90 years old and still going strong.Just want to wish you Good Luck and will keep you in my prayers!!!!

Thank you all very much. I hope there will be more answers.

Forom your meds, it sounds as if you are Er=. Whar about Aremidex or Aromasin. Both hormaonal agents. I have been taking Aredia for bones for 51/2 years and seem to have no real side effects. Best to you.

Biphosphonates in general can cause bone aches and flu symptoms. Xgeva is supposed to be much better, as far as side effects. Claritan taken just after the infused Zometa/Xgeva, is great for decreasing those side effects (sold over the counter). Doxil is a lipid-bound Adriamycin. It has less side effects than Adriamycin. I hope that the doxil gets rid of your BC.
Best regards.
Anita

I will echo the suggestion to try Xgeva - just a shot in the arm once a month and does (for many) have fewer side effects. I have done both that and Zometa and had a MUCH easier time on Xgeva.
Re Doxil, I understand where you are coming from. Have you talked with your onc about other options like Halaven etc.? I would think that something that has the ability to adjust dose easily might be better side effects... don't know enough to really say tho.
I have heard from many over the years that more frequent, but lower dose, regimens are easier to tolerate and can be as effective.
Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. Don't be afraid to try the Xgeva. I have very widespread and painful bone mets and have found both Zometa and Xgeva to be helpful and worth the temp side effects.

Thank you so much, nice people...I guess this question of mine will remain open (I am new here,)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders