Port Problems

Has anyone , experienced a kink in the line in your port , our xray showed a kink , that explains why my mom cant get any draws or infusions ?? What has to happen now ?

15 replies. Join the discussion

Get back to surgeon who inserted it and make sure they fix it. Its tough when veins and ports cant get accesed!

this happened to me my first time around, they just left it alone because i had only one chemo to go but it took 9 hrs, to get that one to run in. if you need that port a long time run dont walk to get it fixed. bless you, mary

The first thing to do is go back to your surgeon and have them fix it ASAP!!! I have had numerous problems with my new port from numerous infections, to it being threaded in the wrong vein to a DVT at the tip of the catheter. Issues with ports are not to be taken lightly and if you are not happy with what the doctor is telling you, please get a 2nd opinion. Good luck and best regards....Suzanne

Thanks for all the replys , we spoke with the surgeon, and they are going to revise it , as mom still needs herceptine for a year . Her chemo treatments will be over next week, but Herceptin will continue and she wants to use the port , but doesnt want to risks of infection and hassle any more I dont know if we are going to opt for vein ivs ? We are going to discuss our options,, Port has been nothing but issues and I cant risk infections now ?
I am so fustrated with having to deal with that at this time ! Sorry just venting !

My port has been in place for 5 years. It worked well for that first year after diagnosis and throughout my chemotherapy that followed surgery, but since that time has been very tempermental. It always flushed great and the nurses were able to access it to give treatment, but it seldom allowed for blood to be drawn without an amusing amount of acrobatics, lol.

For the past year the nurses cannot ever get blood and have to draw from my arm. They seem to think it's nothing to be concerned about, but I hate having to be stuck over and over in the same place in the same arm. Although the thought of another surgery is dreadful, should I talk with my surgeon about it?

I have had my port just since December, and the nurses always have a hard time getting a blood return. It flushes great and the chemo infuses just fine, but like Teresa, I have to do everything but stand on my head for them to get that blood return. One nurse seems to have the magic touch, and after all the acrobatics have failed, they call on her to get it. After reading this thread, I'm wondering if it might keep getting worse.

I've had my port for 3 yrs now with no problems. The port access lady says she has seen them in for over 15 yrs. I say that because it is possible for it to work and work well and be a lifesaver - good luck with the surgeon, hope it goes smoothly. Also, if i ever need another one i will have a power port - i can use it for CAT scans and such that i now have the dickens getting an IV started for. What kind does she have, and is there a reason it is not a power port, if she doesn't have one? Again, i just wish i had that newer kind so i NEVER need an IV again.

~ Kathy

Motherscare, TeresaAnn and Lukesgrandma,

Could you please describe as specifically as possible the name of and type of port that you are having problems with? I would like to know if there is a problem with one type of port. I don't need a port right now but I might in the future and I would like to know which ones might have more problems.

i had port problems, could get infusions in, but nothing
out. The nurses said that it was a "fibrin sheath". I even
had a port study done at radiology, but there were no
problems. I've found that if I make a real effort to con-
sume lots of water, that there are no problems with
the fibrin sheath. I know all about going through all
those contortions trying to get a blood draw!

Shanti, I'm sorry, but I have no details at all about my port. I didn't know there were many different kinds. I don't regard the problem with mine as major. It always gets the job done.

Susan

Mine is called a HMP Access Device (vascular access port, Product Code/Ref: LPS 7513). It was manufactured by Horizon Medical Products, Inc. and inserted on 3/25/05.

How's that for specific? Actually, I still have the card in my wallet that was given to me after surgery. Otherwise I'd have no clue, lol.

Right now, I have a dual power port on my right side which, after much heartache, works great. To give a brief history on my 3 ports that I had...the 1st one was a regular port (left side) I had put in a few wks after my double mastectomy back in 04/07. Started acting sluggish in 07/09, so I decided to replace it with a power port on the same side. The new port was put in but I actually had a small hole in the incision that never healed. Because of this hole, it wound up getting infected. Went to the ER in HORRIFIC pain and the surgeon wound up removing it right there in the ER! Besides all the antibiotics and home health care nurse coming to my house to pack it every day, to this day, that site is still not completely healed. (Just had another infection in it 3 wks ago and this has been since 07/09.) 2 wks after they removed the port in the ER, I had another power port put in on my right side (which I have lymphema on that side also). Oh, same surgeon...Once that one was put in, every time I bent over, I felt like someone was choking me. I would turn all red and not able to breath. Went back to the surgeon SEVERAL times complaining and they did a doplar of my neck and arm and found nothing. I'm still complaining, plus getting no blood returns and I was on a chemo that could only go through a port. After months, the surgeon finally sends me for a chest CT scan which showed a DVT at the tip of my catheter. All of a sudden, everyone takes me seriously. Needless to say, I did not return to that surgeon. I went back to where I was originally treated back in 2007, CTCA in PA, and they found that the catheter was placed in the WRONG veing (azygos vein instead of the superior vena cava) and it had a large fibrin sheath surrounding it. They went through my groin and repositioned the catheter into the correct vein and removed the fibrin sheath. The blood clot within the superior vena cava was balloon dilated. Now I am on Lovanox (blood thinner) because of the clot. Just wanted to say: Trust your own instincts. If you think something is wrong, keep saying it until someone listens. If you are not happy with the way a surgeon is handling your case, find another one. Most importantly, if you don't get a blood return, insist on having a port study done. There is a reason why you don't have a return. I used to let the nurses give me chemo even if I didn't have a blood return. No more now!!! I already told them, no return...no chemo. I had to learn the hard way. If you have a problem with your port, don't take it lightly. Get it checked out. By the way, my power port is working great now!

I -am on my second port. Had the first one removed after I thought I was done with chemo & cancer-it always worked well but bothered me around my collarbone. When it was removed (different surgeon) the doc was close to cursing as he removed the port, he said it was way to large for me. This new surgeon put in my second port-on the opposite side - it much smaller - raised above the skin and it can be seen poking out a little but it doesn't bother me and so far, it works beautifully. I wish I knew what type it is but I have no idea. The chemo nurses where I receive my treatment must have another nurse visually confirm the blood return and would not be allowed to use the port if there was no blood return. It is amazing the differences we are hearing about the port on this discussion.

I had to get a new port

No one will use my power port for MRI's etc. They still went into my arm.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders