One year after breast radiation

Hi everyone nice site God Bless us all. I am one year out of radiation 2 months ago my nipple on the breast cancer side has started to itch like crazy. My breast is real firm and tender since radiation. But this itch that has started is driving me crazy. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this normal?

4 replies. Join the discussion

I am a little more than one year out of radiation to left breast. The breast is still swollen, firm, and tender. My onc states this is all due to the radiation and will probably never change. As far as itching, my nipple does occasionally itch, but not "like crazy." Sorry, no help on that symptom.

I don't have that problem, however, I did have a double mastectomy instead. I guess it all comes down to how unpleasant is it?

Pink Melba

I took well over a year for all of the swelling to go completely down after my radiation. (radiated left breast after lumpectomy). The size between left and right were fairly close until all the swelling went down. Now there is quite a difference, point being...takes a good while.

I used Emu Oil on my nipple. I don't think it will ever be completely back to normal (it's been about 3 yrs now). But moisturize liberally. Emu Oil is the best moisturizer I have found. Ask at a health food store or a Sprouts...don't know what you have in your area. I'm sure you can find it online also. What I have was made in Montana I believe. Sorry can't remember the name of the company, but I have a bottle and can look for you if you need or want.

Good luck with the itching. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...

Emu oil was awesome relief after 1st round of radiation - left side axillary, survived it with minimal discomfort. Finished 2nd radiation right side in October, in between cancer 1 and 3 was 2nd which prompted a double masectomy with reconstruction now february and the last few days I want to scream, site of radiation turning to a rock and the itch under my implant can not be itched. Plus the hardening of the massive radiated area in freaking out my few weeks of my 3rd NED announcement. Get true emu oil not diluted it is available on-line I first found it at Loyola University here in Illinois in the cancer care faucility.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders