navelbine / arm port vs. chest port

I will be starting Navelbine soon. Any one have experience with weekly Navelbine and every 3 weeks Herceptin? I'd love to hear your stories and side effects.

In addition, I am deliberating between an arm port vs. a chest port. Please share your experiences with either.

thanks.

6 replies. Join the discussion

No chemo yet but I've had a bard power port in the inside of my left upper arm for over a year now and I love it. It works great and I don't need to see the scar everytime I look in the mirror. I work out, do yoga, etc and have no problems with it. If you search "port" you'll find some previous discussions on the subject. Best of luck to you! Julie

I have a standard Port in my chest. Unfortunatly no one ever asked me if I wanted a standard Port or a Power Port? I later learned I could have had a Power Port. The standard has many limitations when it comes to dye injections for CT scans in particluar. My standard port isnt able to accommodate the high power release of dye, the pressure is too great. If I had a Power Port there would not be any limitations in using it for dye injections with the scans.

I have asked the Oncology RNs about the Arm Ports, and they said they dont like them, and dont think they are as good, compared to the chest port. Keep asking questions, that is the best way to learn everything there is about it.

I have had a reoccurance of bc after 28 years and bless any port I see or hear about. What a help they are. I have mine in for 3 years + and every three weeks I go for Herceptin. So far no problems with my chest port. Have not seen many if any arm ports so I assume my doctors prefer the chest. It is very easy to work with and now that my veins have all but dissapeared, it enables much less painful administration of any drugs. Hope my input helps a little in your decision as what to use.

I have a port in my chest and I love it. I wish they had power ports when mine was put in 7 years ago. I don't know about arm ports. I started navelbine 5 weeks ago and I have had very little trouble from it. I have it every week and will continue if my scans look good in January. I have read on this site of a woman that has been on navelbine for 8+ years and is doing great. My hair is still full and the side affects are no worse then a mild hangover. God bless, Yoie

I have a port in my chest and it works well for me. I was not offered a port in my arm as I had a bilateral mastectomy 8 1/2 years ago with lymph nodes removed from both sides. I got my port in February 2010 when I started chemo for BC mets to bone and pleural fluid. I have had Navelbine chemo since then 3 times a month at 1 week intervals. My hair thinned dramatically at first to the point that I shaved it off totally for comfort. It started growing back pretty quickly and came in curly. I had low white blood cell counts a few times in the beginning and some shortness of breath. I changed oncologists after a few months on Navelbine and the new oncologist gives me a premed of Decadron IV each Navelbine treatment and I haven't been bothered as much by shortness of breath since then. I haven't had scans since April when I was still at the old oncologist, but I haven't needed my pleural fluid drained since I started the chemo in February so my current oncologist feels comfortable that the Navelbine is working well for me. I forgot to mention the constipation side effect that I have. I take meds for that regularly and have never had a constipation problem before I started Navelbine. I also tend to get more tired than normal with the weekly chemo, but I find that more exercise and also some extra rest help the tiredness. Good luck on the Navelbine .

Rhonda

I have a port in my chest and it works great. Arm port wasn't offered. That's okay. I have had no problem wearing tops or swimsuits. it does stick out but I have seen people who have them and they don't cover them up they treat them like someone who bears a scar. You get use to it.
I did Faslodex and Herceptin ( every three weeks).
for three months. Faslodex did not work for me.
Having the Herceptin every three weeks was great. less visits to the office. I felt a little tired for a couple days but that is really no change from when I had it weekly.
I am back on Navelbine with Herceptin weekly which is how the the treatment protocol is written. I am okay with this, what ever works.
I just got diagnosed with a brain mets. Three tiny spots so I am off the chemo for two weeks to undergo radiation to the brain and then I'll restart chemo on my third and final week of radiation. I'll finish my chemo and then we will try a different med that's non chemo to maintain stability.
My heart function tests with Herceptin are all normal and have been for years.
Research seems to confirm that whether its weekly or every three weeks the side effects don't seem to get worse. If you didn't have side effects with weekly you probably won't with every three weeks.
Good luck and know that you have someone praying for your success and keeping the hope alive.
Blessings,
Maggie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders