Liver Mets - which chemo worked for you

I have liver mets and waiting for test results. If there is an increase in size oncologist told me he wants me to do chemo. I am positive for estrogen negative for Her.

Anyone who has a similar story and had good results with chemo to kill those liver mets share with me. Please

Thanks in advance for sharing ♥

Huguette

32 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Huguette,

In February 2011 I did taxol/carboplatin/avastin to get rid of multiple large liver mets. I'm also estrogen positive, her 2 negative. Liver mets were gone by August.

Lisa

Abraxane did it for me, you do lose your hair, it is better than losing your life.

Check out the website www.beatlivertumors.com. I have liver mets and after my mastectomy on Monday, my onco is sending me for a consult for chemoembolization. I wanted the radiation spheres but because I'm Her2 +, he said it doesn't work as well. Best of luck.

I am er++/her2 negative in my breast and bone tumors. My liver tumors came 4 years later, so they were never biopsied. I did very well on Taxol & Avastin and then just taxol when I suffered with side effects from the avastin. It took two years, but both liver tumors shrunk. Last year, I was on Faslodex and now the liver tumors came back. I am now on xeloda and my tumor markers are coming down and will have a CT scan to verify in 3 weeks.
You will loose your hair on Taxol, but I just had fatigue for a couple of days after infusion and no other bad side effects (diarrhea after I would get home from infusion) but thats it. So far side effects are minimal on Xeloda, but I am on a low dose of 1500mg per day every day (no weeks off)
Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing, I have an appointment with my oncologist tomorrow at 11h. Let you know then what is going on with me.

I am stage 4 with liver mets as well. Found out recently Halavan and xeloda that I was on for 4 months was doing no good. Switched to Tykerb and a hormone blocker Exemestane. Had a really difficult time taking the 5 tykerbs at night. Finally they figured out I should only take 4.Went to MD Anderson in Houston after local onc decided he would like extra eyes to look at things. Will be going back down there in a couple of weeks for some scans. I pray things are showing some improvement.

pmwm, I sure would love to hear the results of your scans in a couple of weeks. I hope the Tykerb and Exemestane turns out to be a good combo for you.

I was on Aromasin (exemestane) from Feb-April and one liver tumor got 40% bigger and another one appeared. It is the strangest thing that both times I was put on aromatase inhibitors, Arimadex in 2009 and then the Aromasin just recently, my liver tumors got worse. That is why I think the liver tumors are not er++, like my bone and breast tumors are. New tumors can be a different pathology as well as old one morphing into a new one!

@ Franny, your liver mets could still be ER+ and not respond to AI's anymore like mine.

I had a biopsy of my liver tumors end Jan. and they were still ER/PR+ Her- as my primary tumor was, and yet several AI's failed one after another (since Femara stopped working I had Faslodex, Faslodex + Aromasin and Aromasin + Afinitor). TM's continued to rise for 14 months. The last combo gave the cancer (which was bones only before) even a chance to progress to my liver.

So, now I am on chemo too. Since begin Febr. I have had 4 rounds of FEC, followed by weekly Taxol. Finally TM's are coming down (Ca 125 from 2243 to 904) and liver mets are shrinking.
I hope the Taxol kicks this alligator completely out of my liver. I have still 2 months to go with the Taxol till next PET

Hi,

I have been on Xeloda since Oct 2011. I have liver and bone mets. I understand that Xeloda can work very well for liver mets. My CA27-29 rose from 112-117 last month ater monthsof decline. I will get this month's results this afternoon. We raised the Xeloda gradually over the last month from 1500 two times daily to 2000 mg twice daily, 7 days on and 7 days off. I have a CT scan scheduled for June 25. If things look good I'll continue as is, if not it's a new chemo for me. Xeloda has been very easy for me as far as side effects. Hope it would be that way for you. It's great not to have to go for infusions. It's been giving me the opportunity to do some things on my bucket list.

Is continual dosing of Xeloda common?

Carzur,
I don't think that the regime that I am on with xeloda is common. I had read recently that a trial had been done where xeloda was given in a lower dose, (1500mg) every day, with no break week. The study found that the side effects were fewer and that it was still stopping progression. When I saw my Oncologist and my scans showed the Aromasin made things worse, she said xeloda was the next drug she would try. I asked her about the lower dose and she said I could try that. She had never done that before, but was familiar with the new study. I live alone and was concerned about getting hand foot syndrome and figured it was worth a shot. We could always increase the dose if it was not working. After just 6 weeks, my tumor markers(CA27.29) went from 167 to 107, just the news I needed to hear.

Hi Linda,
You make an excellent point. I was diagnosed with stage 4 right from the beginning in Jan 2005. I had mets in my femur and spine. I did well on Tamoxifen for almost 4 years, before the CT found 2 small liver mets. My Oncologist put me on Arimidex for two months and they doubled in size, but the bone tumors were stable, so I got a port and started Taxol & Avastin. I asked my oncologist at that time if he thought the liver tumor had a different pathology and he said maybe, but that a liver biopsy was not recommended to check. I did really well and after two year with breaks, the liver tumors could no longer be seen. I did have some bone progression, and the markers were rising again, so we decided to try Faslodex. That worked for a year until one liver met came back and markers were up in January this year. Then I had to switch to another oncologist and she wanted me to try Aromasin. I mentioned that Arimidex did not work for me, but she said that it worked differently than the Arimidex, so I said OK. As I stated above, it did not work.
I guess that since the liver tumor came 4 years later, I think it could be different. It is not uncommon for that to happen and it has been my gut feeling. There is no doubt in my mind that my bone and breast tumors are still er++/her2-, but the liver tumors have always acted independently. Also, Faslodex in not considered an AI, just another anti-estrogen. I was just so grateful that the Faslodex worked for an entire year! (who doesn't love a year without chemo?)

Good luck with the Taxol! It worked great for me and little side effects, except the hair loss is brutal. When it starts to come out in chunks, just have your head shaved. It makes life so much easier! What is FEC? I don't believe I have heard of that.

I had 3/4 of my liver covered in tumors last fall and I began chemo with Taxol & Herceptin (for the Her2+) in Dec 5, 2011 with weekly treatments that went on for 2 1/2 months. I lost my hair, eyelashes, eyebrows and had some annoying side effects but overall did well. I had a Pet scan Feb 16 and ALL the tumors were gone so for me the Taxol worked GREAT! I'm currently NED and thankful and grateful everyday! I hope it stays that way for a long time! I'm also ER+ but PR- and HER2+ Hope this helps you! Wishing you all the best with your treatment! Kick those liver mets out of here!!!

I am stage 4 ER+ and have been only on taxol and Zometa for my bone and liver mets. The liver was very full now almost all clear with my liver numbers being close to normal. This has been my first and only chemo so far, I have not been on any hormonals as yet. Good luck!
Roberta

@frannyv : FEC is a combination chemo regimen (5FU + epirubicin + cyclophosphamide). Already lost my hair from that and now I have some 'wooly' growth while I am on Taxol...odd, héhé...didn't expect that...but eyebrows and lashes almost all gone, also nose hair....gives me runny nose and I have mild sensitivity issues in my hands and feet but nothing I can't handle so far.
I didn't know Faslodex was not an AI. It didn't do a very good job on me, maybe just slowing down a bit as my TM's kept going up during that period after Femara. So far Femara was the only AI that really worked great for one year (my first MBC year)

I am glad I hear here some good experiences with Taxol for liver mets. That and the dropping of my TM's is very encouraging. My last liver bloodtest was even back in the normal range...also worth mentioning.

@ Huggs : all those wondeful women here have convinced me that it is possible to kick all those liver mets out.
We have to be confident and believe that we can do this too.
Good luck with your chemo. Keep us posted !

Hi Huggs,

Arimidex, Faslodex, and Xeloda all failed for me. Finally, Abraxane is working and my liver function is normal. I've been on it over two months and I've kept all of the hair on my head with the Penquin Cold Caps. Body hair is all gone. I have no other side effects at all.

Carrie

Linda, thanks for that information. I have been living with stage 4 for 7 1/2 years and never heard of that one! I wanted to share some funny hair experiences with the Taxol. After third dose of taxol I had my head shaved to a buzz cut, not completely bald.(didn't want to catch cold) It started growing back by the fourth round and was wavy and very fine. I lost all body hair including eyebrows and lashes (I hated that look without eyebrows) After a three month break, I went back on taxol.avastin, but had problems so had to stop again, this time for the summer. When I started again, just taxol, my hair again started coming out in chunks, so again, I had it shaved to a buzz. After 3 more months it stopped working, This time, when my hair started growing back, it was mostly grey and very wavy. I was so upset, because my hair is brown and had only a few greys! As more hair came in, it was eventually brown, but it took almost a year to grow out all that gray hair!! Now it is back to my normal, brown and straight and I have eyebrows and lashes, too. It never ceases to amaze me, what our bodies can do to recuperate from all the toxins!
Good luck on Taxol!

Charlestongirl, I will lt you know. I had a difficult time at first with the Tykerb. At first they had me taking 5 pills a day. It caused extreme diarrhea . So I was off for a week receiving dehydration. Then went to MD Anderson. That doc put me back on Tykerb and added Exemestane. Well it did the same. After dehydration my local onc cut the Tykerb to 4. I seem to be doing some better. I just needed to get something started ASAP. I will let you know what the scans show. I may have to wait until July to hear since I had those problems.

Went to see oncologist, tumor markers are up a little and liver tumors have increased but not to the size there were last year when we found them. A f##k up happended with my zoladex, back in march i was supposed to have a three month dose which is 10.8mg but they gave me a one month dose, so basically I was 2 MONTHS without eostrogen suppressent in my body and my tumors feeds on eostrogen.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am so angry about that error, I am a couple of step back.

And I don't wanta go on chemo ... been there, done that in 2005, I had the FEC combination. I know that eventually I will need chemo but as you all girls understand I wanna postponed that reality as much as possible. So next step .... keep on going with the right dose this time of zoladex, and letrozole, next scan schedule for beginning of august. And PRAYING that the tumors shrink again so I can continue my good quality of life with my beautiful hair lol ..... Is it to much to ask .... with all the worries with have to go trough.

Thanks everybody for all of the info .... it really helps to feel that i am not alone.

I appreciate you gals soooo much ..... Keep on smiling .... and keep on fighting that beast .

Huguette ♥

Xeloda and Herceptin has worked well on my liver and bones. NED since Nov. 2010. I was her2- but had liver biopsied and it was her2+. Still ER+. No hair loss with Xeloda.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders