Is it ok to drink wine

I am currently getting Herceptin every 21 days, Zometa every 28 days and take an Arimidex pill daily. What are others' experiences with having an occasional glass of wine while on any of these drugs? And, red or white???

23 replies. Join the discussion

Red and White!! LOL

I am on chemo, Taxol and Avastin and have refused to give up my wine - this disease has taken away enough from me, I enjoy wine and I will continue to enjoy it!

I had my first scan results after 3 months last week and the news was great, tumours and lymph nodes in my lungs are shrinking, lymphatic issues in lungs are clearing and even the tumours in my liver are showing improvement and my cancer is triple negative and considered very aggressive. So, I have to think that having a few glasses of wine here and there aren't affecting anything and if they are, it must be marginal. A glass at night helps me to sleep when nothing else will and a glass with friends is just nice!

I say enjoy but it's definitely a personal choice!

Janice

I've been totally straight with all my caregivers about my vino...and not one told me I had to give it up. I've had very good results with treatment over the past three years while drinking my wine...a win/win situation for sure! Lately, I've lost a "taste" for it (as I have for my morning tea and a slew of other things), not sure what that's all about. Perhaps I'll have to try brandy LOL!

I drink wine in moderation. When I do drink wine I get red wine it suppose to be good for you also I buy it from whole food store. Their wine are organic.

I am on xeloda, herceptin and oxycontin.......and there is nothing better than a glass or two of wine. I won't give it up. I absolutely do not drive....even after just one glass becuz there is a pyramid effect. One glass of wine affects me the way 3 glasses used to before i was on all these meds.
My days on this earth are limited and I refuse to give up the simple pleasures! Tonight we are making a big bonfire in the backyard and I definitely plan to munch on s'mores and sip a glass of wine or two under the stars!!

I am on Arimidex also. I have never been a big drinker so have a low tolerance for alcohol but have never avoided an occasional glass of wine or liqueur...still don't. It is like ice cream or any dessert. Simple pleasures are just that and add to your life. None of my tests have provided any reason to avoid any of these things in moderation.

I have just discovered Crabbies Ginger beer, with ice & lime - lovely and a little lighter/less acidic than wine - now my tipple of choice!

Slainte!

They always match up wine with food. Red with this, white with that. I wonder what goes best with chemo? :)

Hi Devaga

What store can u buy that beer from?

I would have to think the "Vampire" line of wines would go well with chemo. Just makes sense ya know?

lol carpediemocc!!! True Blood!
bjmom I am in Scotland, so it's easy for me to find Crabbies at the supermarket, maybe there is different kinds of ginger beer you can get in the USA? It's not too alcoholic - 4% but in fact, you can get non-alcohol kind if you want to... there's a very nice Australian kind which is non-alcohol... me, I like a little tipple!

I did love my cabernet wines before mets. No one told me not to drink and I didn't ask. But I have lost my taste for wine, they all seem bitter. Even while I tried a three month stint on Femara/Lupron (No Chemo) I just couldn't drink it. I do have an occasional beer.

Hope your taste buds will allow some enjoyment of the grape juice!
robin

Hi all...love this discussion. One of the first questions I asked the onc. when I was diagnosed with Stage 4, "can I still drink wine?" The answer was "occasionally" it's fine. Well, I've been on vacation for two weeks on Cape Cod with my whole family and we break out the wine every night. Next week, I have a CT scan so hope my liver has survived this vacation! Someone told me Pinot Noir is the healthiest wine to drink so that's my wine of choice now.
Cheers,
Linda

I too have been drinking wine. About a glass a night. Although I think it is making me fat (LOL), I do enjoy it! I had scans last week, and had great results, so I don't think it's hurting me in that department. And I drink white wine only.

Love this discussion. I'm not taking any chemo. I am a cc. survivor two yrs. this past June. I love red wine, and drink it most nights. It has put on some pounds, so I drink Miller 64 calories from time to time, hoping to loose a few pounds.

I take milk thistle daily. It is known to help liver function, and has no known side effects. I also take xanax, so my medical dr. tells me to drink in moderation. He has blood work done yearly to check my liver function. I admit I drink more than what is considered moderation, but I enjoy it and they say red wine is healthy for you. If one glass is good for you, why wouldn't 3 glasses be terrific?

Ladies on chemo. should probably ask their oncons. about milk thistle during therapy.

Cheers and good health to all of you.

I have to admit, I've always loved good wine. Since I've been on chemo though, I only have a glass or two on the Friday or Saturday when I am not having chemo. As someone else mentioned here, I have found that the chemo makes me more sensitive to the alcohol in wine. I also like to have a couple of hits on a joint if I feel I need it and that makes me feel calm and relaxed almost instantly.

The material I recieved about Gemzar said not to, but
If I really wanted to, I would, just not within 2 days of
treatment. About the ginger beer, I see a brand in
health food stores (whole foods) that is made in
Bermuda, It's non alcoholic. The good thing about
ginger beer is that in my opinion that it's good at
settling an upset stomach. cheers!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting this. Before I was diagnosed in 07 with stage IV BC, I would have a glass or two of cabernet every night while I cooked dinner or graded papers, oh, those were the days! After the diagnosis, I have been afraid to drink as my husband has scared me with the side effects of wine and the oxycodone that I take. I only take the 5mg pills but still the thought of a bad interaction was enough. After reading your posts, I think I will break open a bottle and once again savor the smell, taste, and warm feeling that only a good glass of wine gives. Cheers everyone!!!! Julieanne

What a great discussion. Have any of you been to Nappa Valley to do the wine tastings? What a great trip that is! I also enjoy wine, Chardonnay more than Reds. I also have noticed that I can't drink nearly as much as before chemo. BUT, I also refuse to give it up completely. As a lot of you say, so much has been taken away from us, there are times we just need to forget our troubles and pretend to be normal again!!!
TGIF to everyone tomorrow!

Hell, yes. Wine is a quality of life issue and I think if a little wine or a couple of tokes make someone with stage 4 BC feel better or relax then go for it. I am NOT advocating getting
drunk or getting high--or breaking the law. Just getting by and feeling normal.

Nice to see this post, I am a Chardonney drinker , I love my wine!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders