Interesting findings!

I thought you would be interested in this. It certainly shows that we should consider the Ketogenic diet seriously:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-06/uosf-nct060313.php

19 replies. Join the discussion

Read an article yesterday...they are recruiting metastatic cancer patients at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare Sysytems to study effects of a ketogenic diet. More info can be found at ClinicalTrials.gov

Thank you for the info: my problem with most trials is that I live in Canada. But I am going to discuss this diet with my naturopathic doctor and see what he says.

This is very interesting - the science makes sense and it's non-toxic - so watch the big Pharma companies try to shut it down. I hope that does not happen as I would love to try it.

After reading dr.Seyfried book " cancer metabolic disease", I contacted dr.D'Agostino at USF,we corresponded and I started on Strict Keto diet under care of dietician he recomended, ecieved 40 hyperbaric treatments, was doing water fasting with chemo days.i was so adherent to all recommendations.tumor markers were going down,and it seemed that the combination of chemo and ketodiet works.
I have triple negative breast cancer ,which is very aggressive and I was elated that ,finally I got the way to keep it under control.the petscan showed different to my expectations results: more new tumors, the older ones bigger,new mets. Chemo became resistant.
Unfortunatly, we are not little mice,that getting good outcomes from experiments. May be some cancers: brain,prostate response better to published studies then advanced breast cancer.

I have been wondering whether the ketogenic diet could have a negative effect on hormone positive BC. For example, could dietary fat increase estrogen level in the body.

Any thoughts on this?

windspe,
Sorry to hear about the progression.

Windspe64: I am sorry to hear of your negative experience. Of course, this article talks about some early findings: it will be some time before they can say something definitive on it.

So sorry winspe64, disappointed is a very narrow word describing how you must feel. Hopefully you will have better results with another drug.

hugs Rose

windpse that sounds fantastic - thanks for sharing and keep us updated.

Lisa

I've heard that heavy people have more estrogen from the extra fat. One of my doctors repeatedly asked me to lose weight. I finally took him seriously and went on a moderately low carb diet. For carbs, I get to eat 2 fruit a day & 2 cups of green veggies along with cheese, fish & meat for protein. It's not carb low enough to be in ketosis, but most sugar is eliminated from the diet.

I hated low carb diets in the past, but I have lost consistently 2 to 3 lbs a week on this. I've been on it for 3 months. Eliminating bread, potatoes, sweets, will reduce your appetite & cravings for food.

I have stage IV bc, ER/PR+. I'm on Femara but when Femara is no longer working; it would be great if lowering my estrogen and eliminating sweets will keep me cancer free.

I would assume this article is for ER+ women.

Terri

Windspe - i am sorry -I read your post incorrectly- saw what I wanted to see, I guess - that the treatment worked for you.

So sorry it did not and that I read your post wrong

Lisa

Thank you all for kind words and support. The ketodiet is not the cure on its own,dr.Seyfried in his book talks about other drugs that must be taken along with ketodiet ,to eliminate glutamine that feeds cancer cells along with sugar.

Wndspe64, I am very sorry to hear that the initial effects of the ketogenic diet have worn off, and hope that with your extensive research and analytical training, you find something that works effectively and for a very long time.

Recently there has been a bit of information from Weill Cornell Medical College regarding copper chelation's adverse impact on breast cancer. Perhaps this might be something worth looking into if you might not yet have done so! http://weill.cornell.edu/news/releases/wcmc/wcmc_2013/02_13_13.shtml

Healthbee, thank you for posting the information. I'm beginning to wonder whether our individual cancers respond quite differently to specific diets. Some may be more adversely impacted by highly alkaline plant-based diets whereas others may be more susceptible to ketogenic diets. Or perhaps it's as simple as my oncologist suggests - moderation in all things. Who knows?

Bestbird: Thank you for the link, it is quite interesting. For what I know, it is very common for E+ cancers to change into negative ones. Many of us who started as positive will at some point be triple negative, which is not good news. But this gives us all hope.

Windspe, forgot to ask before, are you still sticking to the diet and does he have certain drugs to add to it that may help? Cancer cells are so determined to survive, the nasty bottom feeding buggers they are. Let us know how it goes, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

hugs
Rose

No,I am no longer on ketodiet,I added whole grains: millet,teff,buckwheat,chia,flax. I added fruits,veggies. I do not consume sweet fruits: watermelon,banana; no bread products. While corresponding with USF professor ,Dr.D. who conducts the metabolic diet and hyperbaric tx., he told me that one must take drugs to eliminate second source of food for cancer- glutamine. He recommended Buphenyl( cost in USA over $5K/ month), DCA( tumor lysis compound), only avail in Canada. Dr.Seyfried in his book tells very clear about 2-DG drug to eliminate glutamine,Buphenyl, DCA. I did start on DCA,but its not working for me. TM to chelate copper is my next project. The clinical trial at Cornell takes only NED patients with TNBC.
TM, was suggested long time ago to cancer patient, I befriended, by Jeanine Wallace. I have Ms.Wallace notes (2005) on this drug and other modalities how to chelate copper. She truly knew her staff years before others picked it up. I am considering to call her office.

Bestbird, glad you posted that study, it is one I would like to discuss with my doctor.

hugs Rose

Thank you for this discussion.
I have been in touch with the VA group in Pittsburgh. I've been doing a low-carb diet for a year now. Emphasis on dark-green vegetables; but fruits and vegetables with kosher fish and some imported cheese; avacado; coconut. Some limited whole grain.
I've lost 36 pounds. Seem to have stabilized here in the past several months.
I did run the Ketogenic clinical trial past my oncologist. She is okay with it, though (for the first time in my life), the doctor doesn't want me to lose more weight.
Part of my understanding with the Ketogenic Diet plan is that there are periods of fasting involved, and I could lose a few more pounds.

I'm wading through VA paperwork and have a PET Scan scheduled for the 24th (a week from now).
Praying for good results.

wndspe64 -- sorry it wasn't helpful to you. Hope there will be a better option soon.
Thanks for the info about the associated drugs. I'll ask about that.

Thank you BesrBird. I am so glad you stayed with us. You are so unique and highly intelligent and so informative with great info and most of all a great soul. Thank you. I just read your Weill Cornell College very interesting.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders