Has anyone had chemo through traditional IV instead of a port?

Hi, I am wondering if any of you have had chemo treatments through traditional IV instead of a port? I do not have a port as the only IV treatments I have had so far are the zometa, I have been on hormonal treatments and now Xeloda for the past 3 years but the DR. thinks that I will probably have to move on the Taxol or Gezmar(sp) next. I do not like to be put under so the port scares me. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. Have a super day and God Bless. Julieanne

17 replies. Join the discussion

I was on Avastin for awhile and I opted not to get a port until my veins couldn't take it . I went from sept to May getting only IV's . Now they took me off Avastin as it effected my liver (rare case )
Some people think it's easier when a port is in , I was happy without it ...I only had the Avastin 20 minutes every 3 weeks. I still get the Zometa .
Good luck with your decision .
Julie
ps . Probably the name ..I was afraid of needles at one time , now I grin and bear it !

Absolutely love my power port!!! Not only can I get my chemo thru it, I can get all my labs & my scans thru it. No more digging around looking for an IV site. I have had over 18 rounds of taxol and even after 4 I think my veins were worse and that was thru the port. Chemo is very harsh on veins. I had many surgeries prior to BC so I didn't have great choices anyway, just a few. But treatment every 3 weeks really adds up & I really just don't want to be stuck....I really believe in trying to minimize pain since so much is done to us that we have no control over. I have never felt my port being accessed and have no plans to. I use lidocaine cream at the site of my port just before I leave to drive to doctor. Whoo hoo...love my port

I was told it was time to get a port. I have been doing this since 2004 and I agree it is time because the veins i was proud of are no longer noticeable. Needles never bothered me for the IV or blood draw. What i do mind is the shot of fasIodex in the butt but i even adjusted to that but I still hate getting it every month. I feel like a little kid when i have to pull my pants down. LOL
I was told they will only do a local and I would not be put under when they do the port. Also listening to all the others getting chemo when i do---say they wish they would have put it in earlier because it is so much easier on them.

Yes, I had 6 rounds of TAC thru my arms. I made them switch each time and use along my forearm (not my hand). I have some scarring but it is not awful.

If I have to do it again I will likely choose a power port but not sure.

If I'd known what the chemo would do to my veins and how it would limit my arm mobility after chemo was OVER... I would have insisted on a port.

My veins are thrashed beyond repair and you can actually SEE the skin pulling over them (indenting) when I try to stretch my arm out.

Horrible. That's my left arm. It has nothing to do with the BC and lymph nodes that were taken from the right.

I would choose the port over IV chemo treatments any day. I did have trouble with my port after 20 chemo treatments. It got infected and had to be removed. My veins are shot and I dread the pricks and prodding my veins take when doing bloodwork and other things. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes or longer and multiple people just to get a vein. I drink lots of water before hand and they heat my veins with warm compresses to help.

I had my first bout of breast cancer in 2004, I didnot have a port, used the veins in my hand and arm=OUCH.
In 2007 with a reoccurance, I got a power port.
I can tell you I LOVE MY POWER PORT.
Of course its a personal choice, but if you are going to do alot of chemo, get a power port. Without one after a while it gets tough on your veins and it can be very painful.
I wish you good luck.

Cushie

I do the IV's have been on chemo almost continuously for 2 years. I've done gemzar. Sometimes it hurts going in especially if they use a small vein. The nurse recommended a hot pack on the IV site while getting it and it worked wonders.

I still haven't done the power port. Not sure if I can. I have so much to deal with and its the only thing that I can control.

Good luck with your decision.
beachgirl

I had a power port installed under general anesthesia in May '09.

No problems with it, thus far.

I received Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin through the port without any problems. I'd advise a port.

Take excellent care-------------------

PAMELA

Hello!
My port has been in since 2006 and still going well! As long as they flush it properly after every infusion you should have no problems. Also helps to have a good surgeon implant it as well. The surgeon who put mine in left a very small scar and it is not noticable to anyone else.
Hope this helps!
God Bless you,
W

I have been getting infusions of Doxil monthly for around 8 months and so far the nurse has been good at finding veins quickly. She puts a hot pack on first.....My arm has recently started to bother me a little and now am wondering if this might have something to do with the stress on the veins in my right arm.

Next month I get a pet ct scan so will know more about what is happening....If I need a port down the line, I will get one, but for now the infusions are doable.Since I take 25 mg of Benadryl a half hour before infusions, I am in la la land by the time the nurse does the infusion, which helps. I take the benadryl, because I had an allergic reaction to my very first doxil treament.Good luck to you , whatever you decide to do!

Yes, I had my first round of chemo through the veins. They told me the problems were that if they missed the vein and the chemo went outside the vein, this would be problematic. For the next chemo, I got a port. I'm with all the ladies above who say, thank you for a port. After you get one, you'll wonder why you waited so long. It removes so much anxiety from the process.

Hi Julienne,
I was also in your same predicament. I was scared to get a port in, but it was THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE!!
March 2009, I had a Bard Power Port put in. At Hopkins, they do it in the interventionsl radiology dept. It was so fast and easy. My friend brought me and first, I had my blood work done, then we went over to prep for the procedure. It is like surgery, where you get an IV put in, but it was a twilight sleep, not general anesthesia. I felt nothing, and could hear stuff going on, perfectly painless. Before you know it, it was over with. I felt fine, just a little sore at the incision site. My port is located just above my right breast the the catheter runs under the skin into the vein in my neck. They use my port for everything and it never bothers me. Even when I get it accessed, I have lidocaine cream I put on the skin, about an hour prior to. Bloodwork, scans, no more finding a vein in my arm!
Last year, I asked for advice here, just like you are doing now, and if was overwhelming in favor of the port! Just make sure you can get a "power port" so that you can get contrast through the port, also.
Best of luck to you!
Debbie (frannyv)

Hi ladies!!!! Thank you, thank you, for all of your advice it is well taken. :-)
I guess I will consider the port but I am kind of with beachgirl and it seems that this is one thing that I can control. Ya'll take care and God Bless us BC Warriors!!!!!! Julieanne

I had Gemzar through a regular IV. It burned. They had to slow down the infusion so that it wouldn't burn so much. The port makes it so I don't feel it at all.

Good luck!

I've been getting chemo almost every Friday since 9/09. I've been using veins. I try to keep track of which arm is being used.
One week I'll use the right and then next the left.
Veins in elbow area are getting harder to find so he's now going towards the wrist (sometimes oouucchh).
So far my MD has not suggested getting a port. I'm such a chicken s..t that I don't think I would like a procedure done on me.
I've had taxol, abraxane, gemzar, carboplatin and zometa all thru veins. An injection for a Muga Scan ruinned my good chemo vein.
Good luck with your decision.

Thanks to all who have replied and I am with jojoin, I am chicken too about getting a port, I guess I need someone to hold my hand, HA! Take care and God Bless to each and everyone of you wonderful ladies. Julieanne

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders