Flu shot

Do you all get flu shots? While on chemo?

I am about to go up North for a few months and my husband is saying that I should get a flu shot. I'm on a one month break now between chemo treatments, but I'm worried that with my compromised immune system, the shot itself would make me sick (I've heard plenty of stories from healthy people who have gotten sick from the shot).

What do y'all think?

14 replies. Join the discussion

I did have the flu shot, but I had to check with the onc first to make certain that my blood counts were good enough to take it. DO NOT get the shot without checking with your doctor first.

I agree with cabbinj,
Check first with your onc., but with a compromised immune system it would really be horrible to get the flu this year cause it's a doosey of a flu. Hope you can get the flu shot.
Good Luck and have a good time up north!
(hugs)
Frenchy

My onc suggested that I get the flu shot. And I agree that this year is not the year to get the flu, people are dropping all over the place and if you are traveling by air or in restaurants, etc you will definitely be exposed.

Perfect timing. Ask your onco first.

My Onc told me no flu shot while on chemo. I just had the terrible stomach flu that put me in hospital for 4 days, so not sure if not having the shot was a good idea. Went to see my family doc last week & he told me 1/2 his patients who got the shot still got the 'flu...seems as if it's a damned if you do/don't situation. Check with your Onc.

Just curious....why would anyone that lives in sunny, warm Florida want to go North for a holiday....it's freezing up here in Canada along with the snow storms...I can't wait to get to Florida, not for the whole winter this year though (my ONC won't let me!)....just for 18 days.

Stomach flu is not the influenza for which you get a shot. the flu shot is a respiratory virus which DOES kill. I have gotten the flu shot while on chemo, and for years.....and I have never gotten the flu nor a gastric bug after having it, nor have I had influenza since getting th vaccines. Colds...yes. flu no. And there is a difference.

My MO did not recommend I get a flu shot. I am not on chemo right now but am on hormonal therapy. She assessed my lifestyle which is very quiet and alone. I am NEVER around crowds or in a room with a lot of people. In all honesty, I have never gotten a flu shot. Such debate about who should and who should not!

Be Well~~

Thank you all for your input. I'm still not sure what I will do. I am going to western PA where my husband is working a contract job until May. I have been mostly alone for the last 4 months while going to chemo every week. My dr here wants me to do another 3 months of taxotere. I will be seeing a new dr at the univ of Pittsburgh. I am both sad to leave my little paradise here where I have a lot of supportive friends and know my way around, and excited to be going some place new and being with my husband.

My family doc and onc. said no problem.

I have had the flu shot every year for at least 15 yrs. It works for me.

My onc recommends it for me, but, I'm not on a chemo, either. The only SEs I have from it are muscle or joint aches for a day or two after the shot. I also stay away from people, if they are not feeling good, and don't eat from buffets. I also stay at home when there is a high incidence of flu in our area. I also get the pneumonia shot, since the MBC began in my lungs.

I hate to whine, but, I had pneumonia right after I was diagnosed with recurrent to the lungs.

I would run it by your onc, but I feel the safety of not getting the flu this year is more important than SEs from the shot.

Best wishes to all.

Also, the shot takes 2 Week before it protects you, so you can still get sick while U are waiting for it to take effect, and you can still get the flu but just not as severe as without the shot.

Look at shot only covers 60% of viruses out there this year... I am not going to play with DNA/RNA for such odds. Not sure of how many it really helps therefore, not worth risk.

I get mine as soon as they come out. My oncologist recommends them and provides mine. I am grateful for the vaccine because the flu can be deadly even for healthy people.

The shot is a killed virus so it can't give you the flu. I usually get one but did not this year, mainly because of inertia.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders