Elevated Liver Enzymes - Remedy Ideas?

My last 2 blood tests show an elevation in Liver Enzymes (sgot/ast and sgpt/alt).

They're not real high; but I'm wondering -- could some of the vitamin supplements I take be causing this?? Like maybe tumeric or resveratol?

Has anyone found something to lower liver enzymes?
I've heard that milk thistle can be helpful??

Thanks for your inputs.

40 replies. Join the discussion

Check into Sam-e. it's for liver support.

I prefer dandelion root tea daily for a month. Milk thistle interferes with some of the other holistic herbs. When my liver feels good, I feel good all over. I also like fresh lemon inn the warm tea every morning. It has detox qualities.

I don't think the curcumin has an effect on the liver. Also I juice and add beets to the juice for a few days. If you have a tablet, medscape has an app that u can download, that will show any interactions between meds and herbs.

I hope this helps you. The liver is resilient and recovers quickly with the right nutrients.

VickiSurvivor -- what's in the Sam-e? Is there a list of ingredients somewhere?

imimpressed -- do you know the name of the ad? I like the idea of lemon and tea. (To be honest, I even wondered if the tea could be causing it... just didn't know what to think). So thanks for that. I love being able to drink a hot cup of tea in the morning. :)

Really appreciate the inputs.
It's frustrating to be shooting in the dark.

I meant app; not ad

My liver enzymes went up when I was on Essiac tea....I don't have liver mets so far...

HighFlyer,

For tea, I use green tea with 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon juice. Its recommended to use warm water and lemon juice, but I love the warm green tea.

The App I am using is MedScape by WebMD, LLC it is free and completely downloads to your tablet so you can use it without internet connection: it has research, drug, and education info. It usually updates about once a month. I have another app about drugs, but, Medscape is more user friendly for me.

Langley10101,

Did you think the Essiac tea helped you in any way? My stepdaughter, who is a RN has recommended it to me. But it was to confuseing for me with all the dos and don'ts about the best one, so I never started it.

I have one liver enzyme that is always high but if the rest go up, I can count on the lemon/tea, dandelion root and beet juice to help get them back to normal. I take several prescriptions that are metabolized in the liver, so it needs as much help as I can give it.

I always review my labs at home and then work on what ever is out of sinc. I've only had a couple of months where everything was in the normal range, and I had to "write that in the book of records." LOL. it was right after I treated the anemia.

God's blessings to you.

Yes, I do think the essiac helped me, I don't know how much, but I was nausious and not eating before taking it...... it 'nursed' me back to health and then I needed surgery so I went off it. That is how I know that is what was causing the liver enzyme increase. It went up quite a bit while I was on it. The surgeon was concerned, but I felt fine.

my wife had higher liver enzymes due to tylenol . dumb of us, she had had surgery week before, and they told us no ibuprofen, but nothing about tyl . stopped tyl. and enzymes dropped in half.

I will try the dandelion tea to lower my enzymes, good tip! thanks.

What treatment are you on?

Are you on affinitor/everolemus ??

I'm on Xgeva and Zoladex injections (every 4 weeks) and Femara pill daily.
Also taking a number of Vitamins and supplements.
Various kinds of tea; mostly vegetables, fruits, and fresh fish.

I got elevated liver enzymes because of the biphosphonates, so I now have the injected intravenously. It can be many things, so better check with your one.

Your liver enzymes can get elevated if you detox too rapidly, also. Beet juice is a huge detox for the liver..............but it needs to start slowly.

warrior1 -- what would you recommend as a start?

Eat a lot of red beets and chick peas as mentioned - that helps a lot, plus don't eat any dairy.

My oncologist doesn't believe in vitamin supplement per se, but I'm interested in where does one buy reservatrol???????????

Rita

you can find resveratrol at vitamin world, one good one is 'resverage' and is organic 500mg. BUT you should not take resveratrol while on Tamoxifen as it works in the same way and will compete with the tamoxifen.

thanks warrior, that explains my high liver enymes as I was detoxing MAJORLY with beets, teas, juicing, supplements, the whole shabang.

THANK YOU all so much!
I was taking Resveratol... think I will stop with that one.
Will s-l-o-w-l-y start in with beets and some juicing.
Also started with Lemon and Hot Water this morning.

.... to be continued with another blood test in 10 days.

Sending eHugs to all.

REALLY appreciate all of you; and all your help.
-- Can't begin to tell you how much it helps my heart to know I am not solo.

Have a Terrific Week!

All herbs, turmeric n milk thistle affect the liver. I was told never take anything. Also vitamin b's as well n k .

My nutritionist put me on Reishi Gano(mushroom extract) It is liver support and immune support. You can buy it at mushroomscience.com

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders